Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

" WILDHARE CLUB "

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 PM
dave de
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

Hey guys, I,m a new proud owner of a WH 540 edge. I put the 3m toc 53 in it. I,m breaking in the engine now at 30:1 I have he needles at factory specs & it seems to be running hot. Does the gas & oil stay mixed good enough in my portable gas tank??? Or do I just richen the needle more??
Old 08-13-2009, 04:39 AM
SENZA

Default RE: RE:

hey dave congratulations you will love it, as for my self i buy just enough fuel to fly for the day, the new fuels are not as stable and a shake of the jug before you fuel up !
if you are worried about running hot, autozone has a temp gun for 30.00 bucks worth the investment.
my da 50 had a rpm recomendation for break in with a 22x8 prop i believe it was peak rpm then slightly richening it on the high end to drop it back 200 rpms or so. idle at around 1700-1900 rpms .....have fun

remember fat is cool lean is mean!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:36 AM
cap10b

Dave,
How hot is hot ? my 3MM -TOC 53 started out in my Extra 330L with no baffeling at over 250 degrees F after only 2 minutes of running. That was too hot. After installing baffeling the motor stays consistantly at 156 after flying and taxi up to the gate.

jds
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69071.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	1255299  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Ruski31

Default RE:

Dave de, gas engines run much hotter than glow. Running a gas engine rich to lower the temp only builds carbon in the cylinder. Set the carb to the factory recomended needle positions and run 2 tanks. Overly high ratio of oil to gas is not needed either our fuel and oils are much better than what they have in China. Use a mineral based oil not synthetic for break in after 2 gallons go to synthetic use the recomended ratios. If your engine is burbly in the air and hesitates during transition you can lean the needles but very little at a time people make the mistake of over adjusting. Follow the instructions they should get you there.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 AM
cap10b

Dave de,
Ditto on what Ruski31 says, rich needles do not mean cool running engines it only means you foul the plug. If your plug is wet and black it 's still rich and you can crank her down to get the plug nice and toasty brown and dry. That's why baffeling is so important for cool running gas engines.

jds

Old 08-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE:

A gas engine doesn't even start to run correctly until it reaches about 90c, or 194f. So at 165f it's not effectively atomizing the fuel and the pumping action of the crankcase is well below what it could be. It's not hot until it reaches about 160c, or 320f. How hot was it in the air? If you're using a temp gun you don't know. 250 on the ground post taxi really doesn't tell you anything except how hot it is on the ground, and it's not "too hot".
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 PM
cap10b

aahh a temp on the ground is better than no temp at all and the X-ray/sensor vision only works for a few people us peons dont have that luxury.

lol

jds
Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Ruski31

My Harley, which is also air cooled, runs with the oil temp showing 250*F, who knows what the actual engine temp is, but I do know not to touch it. THAT'S HOT and I won't baffle that thing, as a matter of fact, I took mine out.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
cap10b

The 3MM - TOC doesnt have a oil sump and I have yet to see any Harley Davidson aircraft motors. If baffeling is good enough for Teledyne Continental its good enough for 3MM. Stick to what works and you cant go wrong.

jds

Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
dave de
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE:

Hey Guys, I,m blown away with all the guys who responded!!!! Thanks. I really dont know how hot it is.. no temp gun yet!!.I just noticed with the cowl on it smelled like plastic was melting.... Could I get some more info on baffeling....... btw, this is like the 6 time I,ve ran the engine & it seemed fine up until the last start up....... have a great weekend!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE:

For about $25.00 or so you can order a Venom temp monitor from Tower Hobbies. It measures and records the high and low of a flight, which you can view after the landing. Not too many people have a desire to spend a couple hundred bucks on an Eagle Tree telemetry system for a single cylinder gasser but the Venom works out economically for providing the user with what's the most important.

After landing and shut down it's normal for an engine to "heat soak" since there is no longer any air moving through the cowl and no cold fuel being run into the crankcase. You car does the same thing which is why so many of them have an automatic electric fan that pulls air through the radiator after you shut off the ignition. Typically an engine temp can bump up a 100 degrees f. or so after shut down for a minute or two before it starts falling off. If someone wanted to rapid cool an engine, either on approach or after landing, all they would need to do would be to blip the throttle from idle to 1/2 throttle and back quickly a few times. You can knock an engine temp down 75 to 100 degrees in only a few seconds. Another reason why temp guns are not the tool many would like them to be,
Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Ruski31

Dave de, forget about the temp gun, if you smell plastic melting something might be touching your exhuast. I had my header pipe too close to the cowl once and it made a nice charcoal spot and burning plastic smell. I think T.O.M. summed it up checking the exterior temp after shut down isn't accurate. Tune the motor, make sure you have enough exit area for airflow through the cowl and fly the plane you'll be fine.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

-> New WH member here <-

I bought the 40% Giles 202, and I couldn't be happier with its performance. Mine is the yellow and blue version. If you ever have anyone tell you that the Giles is a snappy plane with that swept back wing, they are so, so wrong. This plane won't roll out of the tightest loops, and the profile looks sleek and presents well in IMAC flying. 3D flying is awesome.

I think it was Tired Old Man that recommended this plane, and he was spot on.

-Pat
Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Patto

Default RE:

A couple of early videos of my WH Giles 202.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P3YE-5p...ient=mv-google
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMaEslD...ient=mv-google
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Patto

Default RE:

The last links I posted were broken.

HD video, more recent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3YE-5pdir8

SD, earlier video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMaEslDg4Z8