Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Soldering...Am I doing something wrong?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Soldering...Am I doing something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Soldering...Am I doing something wrong?

Just got a brand new 40W solder today and I just tried it moments ago.

The iron got really hot and it was pretty good. But as I was trying to clean the solder tip with the wet cloth that was supplied with the station. This black layer started to form and suddenly it won't melt anymore. Places where there are no black coating, it is really hot.

Any idea?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Soldering...Am I doing something wrong?

The black is probably just flux that reacted with the water. The sponge should only be barely damp, not soaked. Anyway, ignore the black (unless there's a lot...then do the sponge thing again) and tin the iron with some solder. Give it a little flick of the wrist (towards teh workbench) to remove the excess solder. And away you go......
Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Argess

The black is probably just flux that reacted with the water. The sponge should only be barely damp, not soaked. Anyway, ignore the black (unless there's a lot...then do the sponge thing again) and tin the iron with some solder. Give it a little flick of the wrist (towards teh workbench) to remove the excess solder. And away you go......
The core I used has some flux in it premixed. Maybe that's the reason. I think I have to buy a new tip
Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Druss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First try tinning the tip again with some solder. If that doesn't work just use a wire brush to remove the black and tin the tip before putting it away. Always store the soldering gun with a tinned tip.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A fine file can be used to re-dress the tip...then re-tin as Druss recommends.

The resin in resin-core solder is the flux......it gets black due to dirt and oxidation.....the water seems to make it worse.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
guys2nv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a tip cleaner b4 i solder anything-i only use a radio shack cheapo one but i take care of it and still use the same tip that came w/ it like 3yrs ago-dont use rosin core solder-thats for plumbing-i use deans silver solder-works great.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most soldering tips must be "tinned" before use. If you let it get hot and it discolored you will not get heat transfer. You need to take your tip and use very fine sandpaper or steelwool and get that tip clean/shiney again.
Now, plug in the iron and, using your solder, keep touching the solder to the tip as it heats. Once the solder starts to melt cover the entire tip with a layer of solder. At htis point you can take a damp sponge and wipe the extra solder off. You will be left with a very shiney, silvery soldering tip. This is the perfect tip/condition to solder with.
Be sure to wipe with a damp cloth/sponge periodicly to keep the tip in top shape.
When you are finished soldering wipe the tip again to clean excess solder and flux build-up. You will be left with a tip that is ready to go the next time you need it.

Also, and this is just a quirk of mine, I always lightly retin the tip every time I use the iron before I start soldering.

The above has served me well since I learned to solder in the early '70's.