Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Want to get into crawling

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get into crawling

Been looking at the Losi crawler and Axial . Which one is better and why ?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
K_B

Default RE: Want to get into crawling

From purely a competition standpoint, the Losi is better. It has better clearance under the axles, you don't need a crawler specific ESC with a strong drag brake, it comes with excellent tires right outta the box, the chassis is much more tunable and the transmission has front AND rear dig right outta the box.

The Axial, however, is a little more versatile. It can be made into a competition crawler (it will require tons of upgrades to get to the level of the Losi) or you can make it into more of a scale crawler. The more traditional ring/pinion axles mean there's less drag in the drivetrain, so you can get twice as much runtime from a battery than you would the Losi.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Dawman

What is a good esc/motor/ servo, and battery setup ? Can I use any esc ?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM
K_B

The Losi team driver guys use the Xcelorin brushless system with a 21.5T motor with 3S lipo. I personally use the older Novak Goat brushless system with the 18.5T motor and 2S lipo.

I'm not a big fan of the Losi brushless, so I would go with the new Novak Goat that is 3S capable with either the 21.5 or 18.5T motor and a 3S lipo. The new Goat system actually has a profile programmed into that's specifically for crawlers like the LCC that have worm gears.

The other option I would go with is the Tekin RS with a 21.5 motor with 3S lipo.

One thing to keep in mind is that the LCC is designed to use brushless. Most guys that have had success running brushed setups run something like a Mamba Max with Traxxas Titan motor.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Dawman

I plan to go brushless and probably go Novak . I was seeing how high the bid was on a Losi Comp crawler and ended up winning it for $228 . So guess that is what I will run . LOL
Old 12-14-2009, 06:41 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

+1 on the novak goat... xcelorin motors are crazy good, but the ESCs are known to smoke on a whim...

good luck with the Losi, it is a good crawler, but the Axial is a better comp crawler IMHO... many more upgrade options and setup options for thew Axial.

K_B is correct when he mentions the cost of building a good Axial comp rig, but once you build it it will far exceed the Losi on most technical runs in my experience. I know out here in Cali we have alot of comps, and the Axial rigs are the dominant crawlers in the 2.2 class. I also hear alot of guys complain about the wormdrive stripping out in the losi rigs... this is just word of mouth though as I have never owned a losi rig, but that is by far the one thing I hear about alot...

the things you want to look for if you decide to build a comp rig are what platform will offer you better link geometry (reduces torque twisting and rolling over sideways) and better options for keeping the COG low (helps keep the rubber side down) out of the box the losi is ready to crawl, but just does not have as many available upgrades, and comp mods as the axial in my experience...

I did alot of research before choosing to go with the axial, and knew full well I would end up spending alot more going the axial route, but am extremely pleased I did as I have unlimited possibilities open to me as far as what I can do with the axial. and have a rig that is nearly bulletproof and can crawl anywhere.

if you decide to go with an axial you can save a few bucks by checking out deals on fleabay... you can probably find a good used rig there for pretty cheap... If you go with a new axial look at the orange ARTR setup that has all the aluminum links etc, and add your own electronics and motor... the RTR and the cheaper Axials should be avoided as they are bigger money pits...