Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Itching to buy something new

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:49 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Itching to buy something new

So I have my feelers and heart set on either an Associated RC8 or a Losi 8ight for racing. I already have 2 Ofna MBX Ultra Comps, HPIRS4 3 Drift, 2 Associated NTC3's (1 is fully modded and stupid fast) and enough parts to build another NTC3 and Ofna MBX Comp.

I like on-road nitro but it's kind of a pain having to lug everything to an open parking lot just to run them. With the 1/8th Ofna's, I can go offroad as well as on and I like those. I think I want something like that, something that can go on and off road that has LOTS of power. I prefer to stay with nitro and I've been looking at the Jato 3.3 so far. The main thing I'm looking for if I can find it, is an RTR with already upgraded steering servos, if possible. If I can't get one like that then I'll spend the money on better ones but I just spent almost $200 on servos for the Ofna's.

I'd like to hear some suggestions about what you guys are running per my specs that is tough, reliable and has parts readily available. Anything that can put a better body on is a plus too. I don't like that you can't put different bodies on the Ofna's.

TIA

Rob
Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Itching to buy something new

Sounds like you need a Baja 5B [&:]
Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jato is a good choice. I run mines both on and off road. It is highly modded and insanely fast. I love this truck. The only gripe I have with it is the slop in the steering. It is easily fixed though with aluminum components.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Sounds like you need a Baja 5B [&:]
LOL, +1!

The 5B is a blast to drive; a rail-style buggy ripping up soft sand on dunes or just on a beachfront like setting is way cool and hours of RC entertainment!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:24 PM
rast4man

The Baja 5B's seem to get pretty expensive from what I've seen. I do live on the beach so it does sound like it would be a blast. I will do some research and see what it would cost.

As for the Jato, if that's the only complaint (the steering) then I can live with that. I usually try to reinforce the front ends on all my cars as soon as I get them because I know how I drive.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:57 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live on a beach must get a Baja 5B/T. Now.

Check out ddmracing.com - they have good prices and combos
Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 PM
quietnas1

Yeah I agree with the others. The Jato is great and all but if your gonna run on the beach imo just not woth it. I have run mine a couple of times on the beach but it was not what I expected. Ended up getting an HPI Savage for the beach. Can't wait I haven't run it yet. I know the 5B can get pricey but I'm hoping by next year I can get one also. Got to plan in advance it took me a whole year to convince the wife to get me the Savage for Christmas LOL.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rast4man

The Baja 5B's seem to get pretty expensive from what I've seen. I do live on the beach so it does sound like it would be a blast. I will do some research and see what it would cost.

As for the Jato, if that's the only complaint (the steering) then I can live with that. I usually try to reinforce the front ends on all my cars as soon as I get them because I know how I drive.

Thanks for the ideas.
Get a 1/8 nitro buggy or truggyand put paddles on it, it will be alot more powerful and handle better, not to mention even bigger roost.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 PM
rast4man

I have 2 Ofna MBX Comps so I could do that I guess. I like the idea of the Baja but like quietnas1, I have to convince my girlfriend that these prices are justified. I've already spent a ton of money in the last 2 months on my cars and now I'm working on a boat. But all these cars just aren't "doing it for me" I guess. I want the Losi 8ight or Associated RC8 for racing and I have a few NTC3's for street that are fun and an HPIRS4 3 Drift for ..well drifting. I think I might get a Jato for now and then get a Baja after Xmas.

Would you guys recommend any other brand/model like the Jato or is Jato the best bang for the buck? I would like to be able to onroad and offroad with whatever I have with no problems. I need speed and reliability but I know reliability only really goes as far as the driver. So, what's on par with a Jato?

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rast4man

Thanks for the ideas.
Get a 1/8 nitro buggy or truggyand put paddles on it, it will be alot more powerful and handle better, not to mention even bigger roost.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:50 PM
firebird78

from what I've seen of the jato and talked to owners of them it seems all they are really good for is straight line running and wheelies....granted I only know 2 people that have them and actually seen theirs but I know a few off rcu as well and they told me the same thing...

I did notice in your first post you mentioned racing...so i agree with chris on either a 1/8th buggy or truggy...in all actuallity you could race the buggies you already have...you dont need the latest greatest equipment to go have fun...that is unless your track is full of people that believe you have to spend $1500 + on a race rig to have fun (you can still race but they will make it a drag)...fortunatly thats not the case were I race....I race with mostly great guys that are glad you came....even though they dont know anything about my buggy they try to help..and complament on how a persons driving progresses...

just like any other form of racing...no matter how much money you throw at it you wont win unless you can set it up and drive....and if you can set up and drive you can win on a budget...
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
quietnas1

Well again as I have mentioned before in other posts the Jato does great on road does pretty decent off road. I have pretty much gotten rid of the wheelies with very little work. I use 50wt shock oit in the front and use 70wt shock oil in the back. For on road I lower the truck as much as possible. I also use the battery pack in the center location. With this set up I get no wheelies. For off road I slap on the proline badlands and raise the truck about half way. The tires give it quite somw clearance as well. That way the shocks are not to stiff and I run off road. Granted like I have said before my RC10GT will out handle my Jato on an off raod track but I don't race I bash.

Now for something that offers the Jato some good competiton I would look at the Losi Speed NT. Losi claims 60mph out of the box and XTREME RC MAGAZINE managed to get it to 63mph. Seems like one killer truck. Nice wheels, nice body, nice layout. Worth checking out for sure.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
rast4man

Yeah I definitely don't and won't be a product *****. I want the Losi 8ight because I like where the motor is placed and the overall feel of the car is just compfortable. I know I could make mine race-ready and I wouldn't care what anyone thought. The RC8 I was thinking about is because the guy at my LHS kind of talked me into how great it is. I've been thinking hard about getting my Ofna race-ready and just enjoying that itself. I'm still on the fence and it all depends if I can get an 8ight for a trade + cash deal on my wanted ad in classifieds here.

As for the Jato, I don't want to do wheelies. I had an old Midnight Pumpkin that did that many years back and I got bored with that in 10 minutes. I don't really want something that is for straight line driving, I want something that is low like the Jato but able to be versatile and not just straight line driving.

I still have a ways to go in this sport as I'm learning more and more each day about engine tuning and suspension reinforcement for greater handling. I want to get to the track to make sure that this is what I want to do and not just sink money into something that I'm going to get out of like everything else I do. I want to enjoy this hobby and not play the game of "keeping up with the Jones" for the next best thing.

So at this point in the post, I still want recomendations for a buggy/truggy that is low like the Jato and not for just straight line driving.

ORIGINAL: firebird78

from what I've seen of the jato and talked to owners of them it seems all they are really good for is straight line running and wheelies....granted I only know 2 people that have them and actually seen theirs but I know a few off rcu as well and they told me the same thing...

I did notice in your first post you mentioned racing...so i agree with chris on either a 1/8th buggy or truggy...in all actuallity you could race the buggies you already have...you dont need the latest greatest equipment to go have fun...that is unless your track is full of people that believe you have to spend $1500 + on a race rig to have fun (you can still race but they will make it a drag)...fortunatly thats not the case were I race....I race with mostly great guys that are glad you came....even though they dont know anything about my buggy they try to help..and complament on how a persons driving progresses...

just like any other form of racing...no matter how much money you throw at it you wont win unless you can set it up and drive....and if you can set up and drive you can win on a budget...
Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

Well again as I have mentioned before in other posts the Jato does great on road does pretty decent off road. I have pretty much gotten rid of the wheelies with very little work. I use 50wt shock oit in the front and use 70wt shock oil in the back. For on road I lower the truck as much as possible. I also use the battery pack in the center location. With this set up I get no wheelies. For off road I slap on the proline badlands and raise the truck about half way. The tires give it quite somw clearance as well. That way the shocks are not to stiff and I run off road. Granted like I have said before my RC10GT will out handle my Jato on an off raod track but I don't race I bash.

Now for something that offers the Jato some good competiton I would look at the Losi Speed NT. Losi claims 60mph out of the box and XTREME RC MAGAZINE managed to get it to 63mph. Seems like one killer truck. Nice wheels, nice body, nice layout. Worth checking out for sure.

kewl....I'll be sure to pass that along to my friends....they have mentioned getting rid of theirs due to the wheelies and no control...truck is faster then heck...I know I wouldnt wanna try to run it on a track..lol...I have enuff fun trying to keep my buggy on the track...but the raw speed of the jato is impressive

rast...I just wanted to mention you didnt have to throw money at racing...if you like the losi kewl....one guy I race with started with a ofna like yours...raced it one race, sold it and bought an 8eight 2.0....he used the ofna to see if racing was for him...one race and he knew...like I said I just wanted to mention you can race and have fun on a budget...all to often I see were people make it seem you have to spend $1500+ on a rig and equipment to race and have fun...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
rast4man

Thanks man. I'm one of those people with addictive personalities so I tend to go overboard on things. It's not an issue with money but I just want to make sure this is what I want to do. The only tracks are an hour in either direction so that is a chore in itself. I just ordered another high torque for the Ofna so I'll take it to the track and see how it does. Then I will know if it's what I want to do.

I was told to also look at the Hotbodies D8. Does anyone have input on that buggy?

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

kewl....I'll be sure to pass that along to my friends....they have mentioned getting rid of theirs due to the wheelies and no control...truck is faster then heck...I know I wouldnt wanna try to run it on a track..lol...I have enuff fun trying to keep my buggy on the track...but the raw speed of the jato is impressive

rast...I just wanted to mention you didnt have to throw money at racing...if you like the losi kewl....one guy I race with started with a ofna like yours...raced it one race, sold it and bought an 8eight 2.0....he used the ofna to see if racing was for him...one race and he knew...like I said I just wanted to mention you can race and have fun on a budget...all to often I see were people make it seem you have to spend $1500+ on a rig and equipment to race and have fun...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the d8 is much better than the losi. the losi has a tendency to traction roll in the corners no matter what you try to do to fix it.
the d8 is a great buggy and very durable and handles great.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:28 PM
firebird78

fastest driver at the track I race runs a d8....really I think its mostly what you like...I betcha if that guy took my buggy and tweaked it to his liking he could win with it....the d8 is a good buggy...

I drive 254 miles round trip in the summer to race...every weekend (unless its canceled due to weather)...last friday I drove 400 miles round trip to race indoors...I will do it again the 5th of jan.....I know all about not having a local track..lol
Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 AM
rast4man

That's amazing since the price is almost half of the 8ight. What am I missing here?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 AM
firebird78

one has more popular name then the other.....the driver that won the worlds this yr was wheeling a d8....
Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 AM
rast4man

Wow. I gotta get out of the name game! I really like this D8 from what I'm reading. I'm going to youtube it and see what I can find. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 AM
firebird78

if I was to quit racing himoto and buy a factory kit it would be either a caster 1.5 or the d8.....although the d8 has made itself a contender it is still a bargain and i like bargains...one thing that would keep me away from it is I'm not a bandwagon jumper...but as of now only one other d8 running at the track so not much of a bandwagon in my area..lol
Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 AM
rast4man

Well in my town the guy that has the ONLY LHS races for CEN Racing so he's a pretty big name dropper. He immediately took me to the RC8 priced at like $500 when I clearly stated that I'm getting into racing. He's been much more fair with me on purchases since (not to mention he needs my help since I own a computer business) but he's big on names and I just really want a good reliable car I can race with and have fun. The D8 looks like a much better deal than the 8ight at this point.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Chris_RC

I wouldn't say the D8 is better than the 2.0. You have to remember, Hara has custom made parts on his car not available to the public. The Losi's definitly feel different than any other car on the track. You just have to drive it and see how you like it. I think the HB has some of it's own durability issue's itself, last race I was at with Hara and Tessman they both broke in truck and 1 broke in buggy, while no Losi's broke.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 AM
firebird78

everything breaks...everytime I went to the track the guy with a d8 won, EVERY TIME....simple fact he is a better driver and knows how to set up his rig...and I dont think I've ever seen him being marshalled more then 3 times in a 30 min. main...he is so smooth....watching him run is so kewl..learned alot just by watching him...I know there are better drivers out there (and so does he, he is really moddest)...I would love to see the big boys run in person
Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 AM
rast4man

I've been reading and watching youtube and I'm not sold on the D8 anymore. I talked to a friend of mine that races for CENRacing and he told me that when everyone ran out and bought the D8 after it won the big race, it was the only buggy on the track that was breaking parts on the tracks he was racing at. So that solidifies your point about the D8. I think it was hyped up by the fact that Hara won with it and everyone just wanted to have the same car. That being said, I was able to drive an 8ight and I do like it so I'm just waiting for a deal to come around for something in the classifieds here rather than go buy a brand new one. Some dude listed one for $275 and I asked for pics and specs of what's included and if It's solid, I'll buy it immediately.

So the D8 is out, the 8ight is in if the price is right and I'm rebuilding my MBX Comp for racing.

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I wouldn't say the D8 is better than the 2.0. You have to remember, Hara has custom made parts on his car not available to the public. The Losi's definitly feel different than any other car on the track. You just have to drive it and see how you like it. I think the HB has some of it's own durability issue's itself, last race I was at with Hara and Tessman they both broke in truck and 1 broke in buggy, while no Losi's broke.
Yes, everything breaks and that's the bottom line. I'm a realist and I may be overconfident in my MBX but I've put that thing through literal hell and the only thing I've manged to break was a stripped low torque servo. The car is solid and I truly feel that if I reinforced it, I wouldn't have a problem. It all boils down to driving and once I get on the track and get better, I'm sure the decision to get a much better car will be easier. I just don't see it now and won't until I'm on the track. The last thing I want to do is get a car that everyone else has, like the D8, just for playing the "keeping up with the Jones's". I dare to be different even if it would put me in last place: it's all about fun and once I lose enough then I'll upgrade.

everything breaks...everytime I went to the track the guy with a d8 won, EVERY TIME....simple fact he is a better driver and knows how to set up his rig...and I dont think I've ever seen him being marshalled more then 3 times in a 30 min. main...he is so smooth....watching him run is so kewl..learned alot just by watching him...I know there are better drivers out there (and so does he, he is really moddest)...I would love to see the big boys run in person