Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

40% GILES WITH A 120 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:10 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40% GILES WITH A 120 ?

Anyone flying this plane with a 120 ? I have one with a DA 150 that pulls it GREAT , HOWEVER trying to get the idle low enough to land without pulling the plane along at our short flield is rough.. that 32/10 ticking along at almost the point of the engine dying is getting a little old....I'm considering a coupe of options....use a 120 with a 28 or 30 size prop wich might be lower rpm and less thrust at idle OR would a 3 blade help cure my problems.. Took a bunny hop today at the field and ripped the gear out...which really ticked me off......Your experience is appreciated
Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: 40% GILES WITH A 120 ?

Buy a Biela 32-10. Had one on mine and it slows down like crazy. It makes a funny whistling sound at idle and rips like crazy at full throttle. Post a picture, lets see what it looks like.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:34 AM
BillJ

Guess I should say I'm using a Menz 32-10
Old 11-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

If you use the Biela when u go to idle the plane slows quickly. I always had some power on just before touchdown.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:32 PM
modelman992005

A long time ago when I first started to fly big planes I used alot of runway to land these powerful light sleek airplanes. Then one day I saw my friend Geoff Coombs land a 130 inch wingspan extra on a very short piece of real estate and the trick was to slow the airplane down by keeping the nose up and power on and using the throttle to land it just like the jets guys after that I have learned to land the largest of airplanes with very little runway. In a way just look at the guys doing harriers -- very similiar but not that extreme.
Here is a cool thought - How about getting the carden 260 wings and putting it on your Giles and calling it a MX2 -- I think it has great potential. I will be getting my old Von Linsowe Giles out and converting it soon.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:32 AM
BillJ

Yea, I guess changing technique could help.. We land on about 400ft With and about 5 ft trees on either end.. So my area is really around 325 or so........Setting down is not bad but the roll out can be a problem.... I've had my transmitter adjusted so that at my slowest idle if I put pressure on the bottomed out stick the idle will go to a tick and slow IMMEDIATELY. Now , you can't adjust the idle on the trim to that "tick" mode Even when you have the trim adjusted to ts highest resolution from the radio... I'm rethinking the short trottle ny-rod ( 3 inches) to see if that might help resolution.

Once I get the gear back in, I might give a tank to touch and goes and see if I can get my landing pic adjusted...

SO will the 260 wings fit the GILES ?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

I agree that you are better off developing your landing technique than changing engines. In fact, the larger disc on the 32-10 may help slow you down better than a smaller prop. You wouldn't want the performance to suffer on the 95+% of the time that you aren't landing.

The idea of changing it to an MX2 is interesting. I don't know that the 260 wings would fit without modification- however I would be surprised if it couldn't be made to work.

I would suggest the 330 wings and not the 260. They are virtually the same except that the 330 has a small amount of dihedral. You are better off with some dihedral on the low wing plane.

If you really wanted to do it I would call Dennis at Carden.

Dave
Old 11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

The 120cc would work with this plane and still probably fly it well since its about the same size as a regular 35%. I have a 3w 140 in mine and its plenty of power to do anything. You said about 3 blades. i had a mejlick 28.5x12 on mine and it flew like a rocket and i didnt like the throttle response with it, so the 30x12 or 32x10 is what I use. The bigger wings from the Extra will help you land slower since of more wing area. i know mine lands alot quicker then my edge.
I have mine forsale and trying to sell it so if anyone is interested let me know.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:04 PM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

I would not change anything but the Prop.I own one with a 140 and run a Biela 30x10 and can land without any problems on a shot runway.
Donnie
Old 02-01-2007, 04:56 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fly the attitude using the engine for descent. Hold the nose up to adjust the speed and use the engine to adjust the sink. You'll be surprised to see how little runway you will need. Practice some descents up high and you'll see what I mean. Elevator controls airspeed, throttle controls altitude.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Scott Gerber

I realize that this post might be a little late, however a few years ago when the Carden Giles 300 was in it's "hayday" I had one with a DA 150 on a 32x10 that I found using the computer mixing in my radio, I could dial in a few degrees of down flap mix when I set up the down wind leg of an approach. About 15 to 20 degrees of down flap and a bit of up elevator mixed in would slow down the Giles very well and coming in under a tad of power was a must. I could make my approach so slow you could fast walk along side it as it landed. If you are still around with your Giles, you might try some flap to get your landings down to a speed for your shorter landing strip.

Scott
Old 12-24-2009, 10:07 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Also a very late post, but for anyone that trip upon this thread in the future....

My 40% Carden Giles also had a DA-150, and would land exactly as stated. A little nose up, power on to control the descent, and it would land in a very short distance. Its one of the things I've always loved about this airplane. That, and it was a Ferrari in the sky with the 150. Very responsive, true flying, loved to tumble, elevators were nearly straight down with no wing rock. It was my favorite airplane and I wish I could order another one