Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Stock Motor in Tamiya TA-05?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:51 AM
woodys3b
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Motor in Tamiya TA-05?

I have a new TA-05v2 IFS on the way and hope to take it racing next Saturday at the local carpet track. What can I expect from the motor that comes with the kit? I'm new to racing and would like to use this motor to hone my skills before moving up to a 17.5 brushless system. I'll be racing in a stock class that requires 27t brushed or 17.5 BL. Will this motor get me around the track ok, or will I be in everyone's way? I'll be using 3000ma NiMH batteries and a Novak XRS Speed Controller.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stock Motor in Tamiya TA-05?

You'll get around the track, but the stock motor won't hold up against lower turn modified brushed or brushless motors. They're pretty good motors though.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
lee172

you could always try the Tamiya Sport Tune, its still a 27 turn, but has more torque and spins faster...

Silver can:

Usable voltage range: 7.2V-8.4V
RPM at best efficiency: 14,500 r/min(7.2V)
Torque at best efficiency: 255g.cm(7.2V)

Sport Tune:

Usable voltage range is 6V-8.4V
RPM at best efficiency: 18,300 RPM (7.2V)
Torque at best efficiency: 350 g/cm
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM
woodys3b
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Here's what I did....

Took it to the track and did a few batteries worth of chassis sorting out. Was pretty underwhelmed with the stock silver can motor. The hobby shop had a used stock Trinity 27 turn monster motor for sale so I had them turn the comm and brushes and I installed it. What a difference this motor made. I don't know much about motors so I don't know how this motor compares to other quality race motors but it certainly is way ahead of the silver can motor. The gearing is stock so this motor is pretty well undergeared. It barely gets warm after a heat of racing. I'll keep it this way for now as my driving skills have a way to go before they can keep up with the car with this gearing. Probably the best $20 I'll spend on this car.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
lee172

enjoy your ride man [8D]

from what ive heard the TA-05 is very competitive for the price.