Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

New addition to my flight box, cool huhh

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

New addition to my flight box, cool huhh

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 AM
mrdakota
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New addition to my flight box, cool huhh

Found out it fits the flight box just right!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26502.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1293210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99996.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1293211  
Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: New addition to my flight box, cool huhh

Do you have Real Flight 4.5 on that thing?

David
Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
mrdakota

If I did I wouldn't need tools ;-) but seriously it isn't powerful enough.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 PM
bayward

Sweet ! Isure would like to find a cheap notebook for the field. Ihave ESC's and heli gyros that sure are easier to adjust with a computer.

Bob
Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
mrdakota

Tiger direct has a sale today for a similar model from HP for 250.
It is nice to program these things in the field and even retieve data from my Eagle Tree system too.
Also I can down load video from the fly one camera and it has a nice speaker system with a built in sub woofer for playing some mp3's too. Not going to provide rock-n-rool for the whole flight line, just your little area.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

ummmmm,,,,,why?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 AM
asmithnc

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

ummmmm,,,,,why?
Yea me too.... when do you say enough is enough.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too...............why ?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why? = I think some folks like that are heavy into electrics like to be able to make field adjustments on their electronics and a laptop is the perfect tool for that. I'm into pylon racing and with the Eagle Tree Flight Data Recorder and my laptop I can instantly see what the rpm engine is turning in the air as well as get accurate airspeed along with other important data such as cylinder head temp etc. I can then take that data and make decisions instantly about the small adjustments that make the difference between a winner and an also ran.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Sunny_B

Why not? We are in this for the enjoyment. Enjoy!
Sunny_B
Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
mrdakota

For those that said why, I didn't buy it to put in the flight box I had it near the flight box and tried it for it's "fittness".
I just thought it was cool, who would have thought over 20 years ago when I started this hobby, we'd have computers fit in our flight boxes for the field!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Why? 'Cause, like dakota says ...who would've thought...and it does look cool

for me though it's because it beats the heck out of pen and scraps of paper or the little spiral bound pocket pad, that disintegrates after a year, for keeping all the info I like to keep track of. Makes saving that info onto the PC easier as well.
I know most of us like to just get out, enjoy the folks at the field, and FLY. That's my major goal as well, but over time I've found that having some kinds of info handy makes things a lot easier, predictable and overall more enjoyable. I'm also a bit of an information junkie.

for example: I run mostly 4stroke motors now so tuning is always done with a tach. I'm running 2 different brand names and several sizes and props depending on application. sometimes using three different prop configurations on the same day. Having a note book with all of my engine and A/C data in it lets me quickly assess what my performance should be so I don't have to rely on memory for tuning or to know that "today my Saito 130 twin with a 15x8 prop on 10% nitro is lacking @200-300 off expected rpm from benchmark and record." Normally I run 15% and I'm pretty comfortable with those #'s, but today I've got 10%. Looking at the #'s and info on this engine I now know what my peak and flying RPM's have been for differing conditions, fuel, prop, etc, and that something isn't right. I also know that it's had 183 12 oz tanks run through it in the time I've been tracking it and it's on its' 2nd set of bearings which are 7 years old. I elect not to fly it till I take a peak inside later. In the shop I find a bearing cage starting to come apart but not making noise yet. Maybe the flight would have been fine...Maybe I would have lost a motor or a plane. Don't know and am happy not to.

anyone ever accidentally erased the model you were about to fly from your computer radio? all the expo, trim, mixing etc? Hard to just pull all of your optimized over time settings out of the thin air.
ever felt like keeping some performance notes on different set-ups that you messed around with just for fun or wished you had from a few years back? so much stuff! Once you decide to track some of your info you'll discover that you start to track alot more when it's quick and easy. Some stuff you just don't want to know though...Like how many great flights were on that "bag-o-balsa" you just collected up: exactly the dollar amount lost in that bag, exactly how many hours were invested in it, building, finishing, tweaking, repair/touch-up.....
Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess that's nice?? I could play solitare while I was waiting for the frequency pin.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
KW_Counter

As to finding a cheap notebook - Look on Craig's List in your area.

As to Why? Hobby King has a very inexpensive
fully computerized radio for cheap. The cheap is becaise there
is no screen or input buttons; you hook it to your laptop to program it.
Now you can change the programming at the field.

We all have our own thing we want to do and our own ways of doing them.
Don't think your way is the only way and everyone else must follow you.
Accept that we are all different! That's what makes it so fun and such a learning
experience to hang out together.

Have Fun & Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I've seen several guys using inexpensive solar panels that very portable and they use it with their pc at the field.some even have cams they put on the plane and you can see the pic video on the pc.its not me but as the guys said whatever makes you have fun just do it and enjoy..
Old 11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Seems like work to me-If I needed a laptop at the field I would start flying rubber again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just my thoughts
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I think it,s cool and take my laptop with me to the feild all the time. I take a lot of video and pic,s and the gang loves to see their planes on screen.
Tobad their are some that are a fraid to try new things andlook down their nosesatsomeone trying some thing new.. Who knows, you might just come up with the next latest and greatestnew gizmo for our hobby. Have fun withit, who cares whatanyone thinks anyway ?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 PM
PLANE JIM

Insane,
Who is scared? I am really not looking down my nose at anyone-but with your reply I know I would never go fishing with you-Merry Christmas, by the way I hope you have spell check on that laptop you carry with you.

Being a IT person with a degree in computer science I am always trying something new-I get paid for that-my reply simply was stating it is too much like work-have a better day tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Insanemoondoggie

lol Being an IT guy ,I could see why you would,nt want to be around one. I have a fewCerts myself.
I was just trying to incourage the guy not to let the negative comments discourage him from enjoying the hobby the way he wants.
Whats fishing and X-mas got to do with any of this ? As far as my spelling , I,m disable and sometimes the meds throw me off a little but no one else seems to mind me making a mistake once in a while and are smart enough to figure it out. Sorry you have such a problem with it , maybe you,d be better off just to skip over my post ?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:03 AM
PLANE JIM

I have more than a certificate and I will not excuse your rudeness, regardless of your handicap which has no bearing on your replies towards me and is not a plausible excuse.
Maybe you need to stay off the keyboard when situations become unmanagemable.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Insanemoondoggie

My replies were not aimed at you in anyway and in no way meant tobe anything more than encouragement tothe OP to enjoy the hobby the way he wants.
You,ll have to fight this fight with yourself, as this is not what RCU is about . Sorry you,ve got so bent out of shape .
If you intend to pursue this, please do so in a PM and keep this kind of trash out of the forums. Then we can agree to disagree in private .
Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 AM
PLANE JIM

I really do not need to speak to you at all. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas
Old 11-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Minnreefer

I think bringing a laptop to the field is a great idea for many different ways. On the other matters, I am bitting my tounge very hard.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The other day a guy brought his laptop to the field and did some 'Magic' with it and then some more with another guys' plane and after one flight we all looked at the laptop and saw that his plane went 163 MPH as the fastest speed; climbed to 1430 feet and traveled 7.4 miles - oh, his average speed was less than 30 MPH.....now THAT'S what a laptop at the field is for....plane a Nemisys (sp) and he had a YS110 on the front end! and YES IT WAS FAST!!!!! How the wing did not fail on those turnarounds I'll never know! Guess the average speed is a result that it started calibrating the moment it was turned on (before the engine was started).
Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

As to Why? Hobby King has a very inexpensive
fully computerized radio for cheap.
Yep, works nice for my cheap foamies. My electric "flight box" is a Targus backpack with computer cradle in it and a dozen cool pockets that carry all kinds of stuff.

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter
That's what makes it so fun and such a learningexperience to hang out together.
Yep, we've got a guy with a flat panel TV with Direct TV dish in his trailer. It's nice to check on the ballgame every ONCE in a while!
<br type="_moz" />