Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Ryobi 16" variable speed scroll saw ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ryobi 16" variable speed scroll saw ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 AM
2PUPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi 16" variable speed scroll saw ?

I want to purchase a scroll saw for my shop . And saw the ryobi , and was wondering if anyone has it and if its a good choice for a saw . It is model SC164VS . Any comments, positive or negative would be appreciated .

J. B. Smith
Old 11-20-2009, 09:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ryobi 16

It looks nicer than mine - less expensive too!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:47 PM
LunaSea

I have one, works great, no problems. Well-built piece of equipment for a good price...
Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
2PUPS

Hey Minn and Lunar , thx for reply . Think I will pick it up tomorrow morn . Let you know what I think of it . I got a ryobi router /table combo for 90 bucks last yr , no complaints on that piece . Any advice on a sanding disk/belt combo ?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Laird SS

I got a Delta Model SA180 with 1" belt and 8" disk. Very well constructed. All cast iron and very sturdy. Had a choice between that and one of the same size but in aluminum. I chose the heavier one. It doesn't move and is sturdier. Paid about $100 a couple of years ago.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
2PUPS

Thx laird , guess thats another on the list . Think I need to stop asking questions on power tools , or the wife will be leaving me . Hmm more power tools for , me or a wife , thats a tough one , lol .
Old 11-20-2009, 05:25 PM
LunaSea

Harbor Freight has a couple of disc/belt sanders that are decent and cheaper than the "mainstream brands". I have one that is a 1" belt and 5" disc that I find useful for model building... I would say that HF's tools are (generally) not the quality level of Ryobi and others, BUT for the hobbiest or average non-professional they are completely adequate...
Old 11-20-2009, 05:41 PM
carrellh

I have the same scroll saw. I have been very satisfied with Ryobi tools

I have this sander and like it a lot. Price was about $100.
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...sanders/BD4600

My Band Saw
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...and_saws/BS903

My Drill Press is no longer listed. This one is similar
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...presses/DP102L
Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of the reviews are not really what you would call steller on this saw. I have a Dremel and don't like it much at all. As far as the sander goes, my wife bought me a Delta 12" disc sander a few years ago for Christmas and it is GREAT. I had a Dremel disc/belt sander before that and while it worked ok, i found i did not use the belt much at all.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 PM
LunaSea

do you have the "new" Dremel, or the "old" one... The new one is a great improvement, although maybe still not the best available for the $$$... The old one STUNK! It was, simply, TERRIBLE in every way. A stamped sheet steel piece of feces... BTW, I have one I will send to anyone who will send me cash for packing and shipping... Yes, it runs/works, but it is NOT a quality product...
Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 AM
2PUPS

Just picked up the ryobi scroll saw , $99.99 on sale seems pretty well built . Did a couple of tests cuts with it , and worked great . Didnt get the sander ,they were out of them . Anyone have a spindel sander <<< thinks thats what they are called , thats a piece I need for my next project , except I need it to be able to go from size 3/8" diam . and up if they have them that size . Well off to search on spindle sanders , THX for the help guys .

J.B. Smith
Old 11-21-2009, 06:37 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first scroll saw was the old style Dremel with the steel stamped table. It did ok for back in those days. The one i have now is the new style [sm=thumbs_down.gif]. I had a Craftsman for several years and really liked it [sm=thumbs_up.gif]. It also had an option where you could rotate the blade 90 degrees for long parts. I won the Dremel at an event and my wife gave away the Craftsman on me.......[&o]
I had a spindle sander too once upon a time. It did not get used enough to warrant the space it took up so i sold it and don't really miss it.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:29 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: 2PUPS

Any advice on a sanding disk/belt combo ?
I've got the Ryobi sanding disk/belt combo and it's worked well for me. I also have their 9" band saw that's given me a lot of good use. Their stuff is obviously not "top shelf" and not as accurate as better brands but I like buying their stuff if I'm not sure how much I'm going to use something and I've been very happy with their power tools.

Their straight shaft grass trimmer was a pain in the keester to keep running however and I ditched it after a season! LOL
<br type="_moz" />