Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

night crawler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
userjh161

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default night crawler?

Ok fellas,(new to the forums) forgive me if I missed it but I've been looking for several hours and haven't seen much about the losi night crawler. Basically, I'm looking to get into crawling and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Axial AX-10 and the Losi Night Crawler. I want a RTR just for messing around in the house or in the backyard, not planning on doing any comps. I know the benefits of the Losi's WGD and the massive aftermarket support with the Axial. I'm leaning towards the Axial, but I've had Losi vehicles before and have always been satisfied. I'm just a little unsure with the Losi RTR since no one is really talking about it (thinking lack of posts about it or people owning it means it's lacking in some arena). If I missed a dedicated forum or anything please let me know. Otherwise, any opinions regarding the two would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: night crawler?

Myself, I'd go with the Axial. I had such a bad experience with my first losi (mini baja) that I will never buy another losi, even if it's good. I think that the reason you don't hear more about the night crawler is that it's pretty much the same as the comp crawler only it has lights.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
userjh161

Are they that close to the same? I was figuring it was probably like the ARTR Axial and the RTR, better components and whatnot, reliability of component differences and that sort of thing.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
K_B

The Night Crawler doesn't have a dig transmission, metal links or the forward mounted battery tray. There's quite a bit different between the two. We've got a couple local guys (and gal) that run 'em and they do well. But even though it's an RTR, the worm drive is really only beneficial for competition. If you're gonna be messing around in the backyard, get the Axial. The Axial gets way better run times and it's a little more versatile than the Losi.

If it were me, I'd get the SCX-10 TR. It crawls good and it looks good. It probably crawls just as good, if not better, than the RTC or the RTR competition style Axial crawlers.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 PM
userjh161

I was wondering how the WGD would effect the battery and run times. Thanks for that. I haven't really given the SCX TR a once over. I guess I should check it out. Thanks for the quick responses. Oh, and how is the stock radio system on the Axials RTRs?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 PM
userjh161

You're right though, the TR is a really good looking truck
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Freezetron

I've been thinking about a night crawler for my first time crawler as well, I like the look of it, and I don't plan on competing so lack of DIG is irrelevant to me. Nothing of Axial stands out to me.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 PM
userjh161

I don't know.  I'm looking at videos of the SCX10-TR and it's pretty impressive.  It looks like it will do what I want it to do, and the more I look at it, the more I like the way it looks.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 PM
K_B

The electronics (like other RTRs) leave much to be desired. The steering servo, in particular, is weak just like it is in the Night Crawler. In the TR, it probably won't be as noticeable for what you'll be using it for. One of the guys here brought one to our last comp and it got around pretty good. You could tell he was struggling with the steering servo, but with the smaller tires, it wasn't struggling near as bad as his Night Crawler did...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

I've been thinking about a night crawler for my first time crawler as well, I like the look of it, and I don't plan on competing so lack of DIG is irrelevant to me. Nothing of Axial stands out to me.

Have you seen the Axial SCX10 Honcho?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Freezetron

Yes, and it doesn't do anything for me. Something called "personal preferences/opinion " comes into effect here Dragoon.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:12 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

Yes, and it doesn't do anything for me. Something called ''personal preferences/opinion '' comes into effect here Dragoon.

I know exactly what you mean.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: K_B
The Night Crawler doesn't have a dig transmission, metal links or the forward mounted battery tray. There's quite a bit different between the two.
Other than accessories(which you mentioned and the lighting), they are the same truck. It's just repackaged, like the rest of losi's vehicles.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
malice23

honestly Ive been having the same dilemma for a while too. I have to pick a crawler soon before my b/day gets here because it will be a present. So...after looking at them and researching them all I was down to a few. The Creeper, the Axial ARTR and the Losi NC or CC. I love the Venoms look and the articulation and Ive read in a lot of crawler forums that its better out the box than the axial. I know the axial has all these upgrades but that usually means that it needs them to perform well, as Ive read also. Plus Im not too drawn to the Axial line of kits. I dont want to get into a money pit either, its just a fun project. After getting through the Losi kits and seeing what they both do I figured the CC is just a hyped up crawler made to comp with a dig tranny. As I wont be using it for comps or anything remotely close to it I decided on the NC. From what Ive read its really capable out of the box. Worm gears are awesome and WILL out perform any axial or creeper due to it being based on the CC. There are differences between the CC and NC. So basically all I can tell you is select the one best for you depending on what you want to use it for. If you want to comp there is a clear choice.. the CC. But if you have a ton of Lipo stick packs laying around and you dont want to dump all your hard earned cash in to a project and just want to have fun...go LNC. Ive heard of too many issues with the venoms and the axials and although Im not a huge fan of Losi's products , I think when it comes to these crawlers, Losi is the way to go.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:39 PM
billdozer1983
My Feedback: (27)

I just got the losi night crawler and i like it. But the first thing i did was i put a betterservo in it the stock servo is junk.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67087.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	1373904  
Old 02-07-2010, 03:41 PM
malice23

ya thats the first thing Id do too. Id also run the stock motor to the ground before I changed that lol.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:06 PM
billdozer1983
My Feedback: (27)

And if you do want a night crawler ckrccrawlers is having a real good sale on them right now for cheap money.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:00 PM
malice23

Im wondering...can you add all the aluminum links from the CC to the NC? As well as the dig tranny if you wanted to at some point?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 AM
andybenton

you can add them but i wouldnt waste my money personally. im really dissapointed with team losi and ever since they merged with associated, its gotten even worse. the products are going to junk. the stock axial kits come all aluminum basically. minus the front and rear end housings and tranny housing. besides worm gears are inefficiant and fail much mroe frequently than good old ring and pinion. look at 1:1 scale vehicles for this.

its just an opinion after all. this is kinda like the whole ford / chevy/ dodge thing. every one likes something inparticular whether theyve got a good reason or not. personally i like axial. alot of people like losi., and i respect that. after all rigs are only stock for a few days if they belong to a true crawler any ways. haha. the only axial components on mine now are tranny, axles and body lol. the links are all custom, 4 link, custom chassis. etc.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
malice23

Merged with AE? Since when? I think AE and thundertigre are together and horizon and losi are one also. I dont think they are both one company now. They are and have always been competitors I doubt they merged dude. But as for the Losi Ive seen too many videos and seen too many forums that say the same about the venoms and the axials. Some people even comp their night crawlers and win regularly with no mods. So thats good enough for me. Plus you can get one for like 289 shipped on ebay with a warranty vs a whole lot more you will inevitably spend with an axial or a venom in the long run on motors/ upgrades/ digs/ esc's etc. Granted the stock elecs. on the Losi are junk but if all I have to do at some point is drop a Novak goat system in it and go to town and kick ***** Im happy.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 AM
andybenton

im sorry, for my incompetence on that one lol. team associated and losi didnt merge, i think it was trinity and associated.

ive had a rough couple of weeks. but any ways they are remaining two individual companys. so its not like you can go to there web sites and check it out.

im not saying that the night crawler is a bad buy for the price. im just saying, that i win comps with my axial, and i have ever scince it was stock.
and i do know people winning with losi crawlers. so its one of those things that its more up to the driver. ive let guys drive my rig and they lost teribly. i drive it and win almost every time. i win alot driving other peoples stock rigs.

honestly i prefer home made things better any ways.

for instance my fav combo ive seen so far are axial axles, a traxxas stampede tranny, on a set of 2.2 mudders with black bead locks and a home made straight scale frame and a tekin 2.5t brushless set up running 7.4v lipo XDXDXD fast and it crawles close to as good as my rig haha
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM
malice23

Ya see I can care less about all that. I race truggies, Ill leave the racing to that. Crawling for me is something to do just for fun. All Ill probably do is add some alum. links and servo links to it and call it a day. Itll crawl with the best of them and once I add a brushless system itll be killer fun. No comps here in NYC for crawling so who cares bout that lol. I see why people would take the Comp over the RTR because of dig and all that but thats just another excuse to spend twice the cash or more. What fun is it if you cant fall off the cliff once in a while anyways haha. Plus Im not about to dump $300+ USD on a dx3r or a 3pk just to use the dig. I have a 3pm, I dunno If thats compatible with the dig unit on the losi but if it means me spending waay more just for dig I can live without it. Ill see how this experience goes first and if I like it Ill try the rest out and have a line of cheap crawlers to have fun with.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
jsowens

Most out of the box RTR rigs have plastic links, sub-par electronics, and you end up changing most of the parts anyway...however, a lot of them like the losi's and axials are good starter platforms. I personally don't see the point of putting a goat brushless system in a crawler. For a cheaper price you can get an awesome brushed ESC that will handle 3s lipo, and can get a nice brushed motor.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 PM
malice23

Judging from experience...brushless motors are far more efficient. Secondly, Judging from various videos and forums and things Ive seen, the performance of the Losi kits are far more superior and far more capable than the axials or the venoms. It seems you have to do too much for them to really work right and get you out of certain crawling situations. Im going with Losi.