Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

MON$TER TRUCK$!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 AM
DUAL EXHAUST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MON$TER TRUCK$!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the BETTERMON$TERTRUCK????? SAVAGE XL or TEAMASSOCIATEDMGT 8.0???? HELPME!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MON$TER TRUCK$!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tough call, they're both very good. Personally I'd go with the Savage XL, I reckon it's a bit beefier and stands up to hard abuse more. But if you prefer the MGT for some reason by all means go for it, it's good.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savage for sure would be a better buy. I personally own one and the truck can take one hell of a beating. Plus the engine on the 8.0 is a converted heli engine. The engine on the Savage is big block truck engine.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Da Redneck Kid

My uncle bought a savage mt when they first came out and you can't kill it for nothing in the world!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:02 PM
ryansiki

Do your own research. Both trucks are very strong. Some people have had problems with the 5.9, and I'm sure the MGT 8.0 isn't perfect. Why not get a Flux. Faster, and almost maintenance free
Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MGT 8.0

I have owned both and the MGT stronger, handled better, tuned easier, the engine is beast and I just enjoyed it more.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Tom90

Honestly, HPI's marketing is just good.

I would go with MGT, sell the engine of the MGT and get a better one. Fuel consumption of the original one sucks

I've never considered buying a Savage XL ...
Savage X SS, MGT 8.0 ( MTA 4 S50 in Europe ), LST and Revo are trucks I would put on my list but definitely not the Savage XL

Just my 2 cents

greets from Bavaria
Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: Tom90

Honestly, HPI's marketing is just good.

I would go with MGT, sell the engine of the MGT and get a better one. Fuel consumption of the original one sucks

I've never considered buying a Savage XL ...
Savage X SS, MGT 8.0 ( MTA 4 S50 in Europe ), LST and Revo are trucks I would put on my list but definitely not the Savage XL

Just my 2 cents

greets from Bavaria
Im just curious... Why would you take a Savage X SS over a Savage XL? The XL is the same truck minus being wider, and longer with some bigger driveline components.

Anyways, I have had two MGT's(4.6 model) and one Savage .25(with a 4.6 on it). Both trucks are great. The MGT handles better, and is a lot easier to work on. It also has some bulletproof differentials, and CV shafts all around. And I believe the 8.0 MGT engine is better than the 5.9 savage engine. I have recently found out that the MGT 8.0 has problems breaking drive pins in the CV shafts where they meet the axle. I have broken 2 in my brushed electric truck, and several guys with the 8.0 report that it is a problem that occurs with their trucks too. So, I think the dogbones on the Savage are stronger.

However, for all out bashing I think the Savage is a decent bit stronger, and my Savage to me was just more fun to drive. The transmission is more durable than an MGT transmission, and parts support is a little better. The differentials arent as strong as the MGT differentials, however if you bust one and call HPI they will upgrade you to their bulletproof differentials which are extremely tough, which makes that a non issue. The XL trucks may even come with them from the factory now. I cant remember.

Both are great trucks honestly. If i were buying new, id go with the savage, but its purely personal preference and you cant really go wrong either way.

Eric
Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Tom90

yep, they have all their pros and cons

And it's not easy because I'm in the same situation of getting a new truck right now ... ^^

Does anybody know why Losi uses those stupid special sized screws and not the same like all other companies? Buying tools twice kinda sucks because good tools are expensive.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
rc person 577

if i was you, i would get the XL and sell the engine (people do buy them) on ebay and get either a picco or an LRP engine. there has been many problems with the K5.9. as far as the truck, they are practically bulletproof. if you are bashing, get the XL, if you wan it to handle well go with the mgt or a losi mt. the xl handles like a montser truck (which it is) and you need to drive it like one (fast in straight lines and high in the air)

just my couple cents