Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

ON ROAD BRUSHLESS CAR

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
JUS4SHO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ON ROAD BRUSHLESS CAR

HI i have owned many off road r/c cars before from the revo , slash 4x4, stampede and i bought the nitro 4-tec and was disapointed as i could not get it to turn, i would like to buy a brushless on-road car or is their a kit that i can add my one electronics and would stand up to a 3s lipo power as i dont want to be breaking axles or transmissions and advise or suggestion will be very helful to me
thanks in advance</p>
Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM
alexchen86

Default RE: ON ROAD BRUSHLESS CAR

Well my favorite on road brushless is the HPI Sprint 2 Flux. Comes with their rebranded Sidewinder ESC and 5700kv motor. Sidewinders can handle up to 3S and I have been running 2S and 3S in my Sprint 2 Flux on stock gearing. Couldn't tell you how fast it pushes on 3S but I'd say around 65mph or so. Motor temps after these speed runs are only 140 degrees F and ESC is around 130 degrees farenheit.

I've seen people run 4S on a Sprint 2 Flux stock gearing and it hit around 100mph check YouTube. Iwouldn't recommend it...60mph is already fast enough for me.

Change to foam tires immediately after your stock tires wear out. On a 5000mah 2S pack they will wear out in about 2 full packs maybe less.

DONOTRUN3S ONSTOCKTIRES! Do not run 3S on any rubber tires either. I tried 3 different types of CA from slightly flexible, super thin, and gap filling. None of them hold.

Ialso tried running extra firm molded HPI foams inside compound Drubber tires and same result. I've had 2 sets of tires explode on me. Many of the tires the tread was still great just the tires rip apart from the rim at the sidewall from ballooning. I always clean both tires and rims before gluing and I actually over glue to be safe...never worked.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 PM
prestonlal

Hey Alex, you need to belt those rubber tires. I use one layer of duct tape on the inside of the tire to stop the ballooning. My tires blew off the first couple of passes on 3s lip before I started to belt them with the duct tape.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
ThEoNeS911

ORIGINAL: prestonlal

Hey Alex, you need to belt those rubber tires. I use one layer of duct tape on the inside of the tire to stop the ballooning. My tires blew off the first couple of passes on 3s lip before I started to belt them with the duct tape.
www.youtube.com/watch

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Squirrelod from TheToyz made a video on that.

As for the OP, you should ask Sheograth ( I think ), as he did some IT work and got himself a Flux, not sure if he still has it though.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 PM
alexchen86

Wow that's a great idea! I'll do that next time after the foams wear out. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Casper06

Or you can buy HPI's belted X pattern tires. I used them on all my 3s on road cars and they barely balloon. I love them!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 PM
alexchen86

Weird I do use the X pattern D compounds on extra firm molded foams. They don't balloon much but after one full pack of 4000mah or 5000mah 3S they rip apart from the wheel. I use rubbing alcohol on both the wheels and the tires before gluing.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Casper06

Are they the belted ones or non belted Alex? Because they sell X pattern non belted ones which I have never tried. These are the ones I am talking about:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM980&P=ML
Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 AM
JUS4SHO

since my thread was hijacked ..lol... any other suggestion other than the HPI Sprint 2 Flux
Old 06-25-2010, 08:29 AM
airmayle

I would look at Ofna website. They have a model JL10E it is 80% arr. You need to add your electronics. I'm looking for a on road car to and if I go for a new model not used this what I'm considering.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
jd31

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like tamiya's the tb-02 (or whatever the new one is called) has a good chassis and from what i hear is great for bl setups
Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 PM
alexchen86

Casper06, I probably used the non belted lol. LHS guy had some in stock...next time I will be using fiberglass tape on the inside of the tire after cleaning it I heard that stands up better than duct tape.

JUS4SHO sorry about hijacking the thread! If money is not really an issue look into XRay's X10 very nice chassis that down here in Texas they have club races with.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...20Link%20Specs

If you want RTR the Sprint 2 Flux is a decent entry level racer and basher. Lots of upgrades, lots of parts support, and a good basher if you just want to blast around. First thing I did was change out the radio system to a 2.4ghz and tweak the suspension a bit. Also with all belt drives make sure you run in a clean area.

Even with the backplate on the rear bulkhead removed I still stripped the rear pulley and the belt. Front belt lost tension and popped off but that was it. Also several airborne landings...lost a few dogbones but no biggie the chassis is pretty sturdy.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Casper06

Ok if you are just going to bash and parking lot run I'd suggest a shaft driven car. I would go with an Associated TC4 it has proven to be extremely reliable for me on 3s. They are older now but part support if far from dead.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM
rc18junky

if you still have the slash 4x4 you already have a onroad car get some 17mm wheel adapters 1/8 onroad tiers and a 1/8 onroad body and it a great parking basher here a pic of a slash aready done up just remove the front and back bumpers when you want to go onroad i would buy a new front and back bumper and cut them down and just switch them. is not for racing but hay you never know. it a slash 2 wheel drive but the 4 wheel drive would be even better with the lower chassis. you could do the front body post much better

parts you will need
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVTZ9&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHMH6&P=ML
http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...0RUSTLER/SLASH

not sure why he modded the rear body post you dont really need to