Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Coverting to Lipo?? I got Questions Help Needed

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Coverting to Lipo?? I got Questions Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Fidy$Trainer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coverting to Lipo?? I got Questions Help Needed

I've got a 30% Lanier Yak and I'd like to convert to Lipo. Right now I've got a 4000mamp Ni-Ca battery. I'm only getting about 3 or four flights before I get my low flight indicator going off on me. I'd like to convert it to Lipo and be done with it. It's running 8 servo's 6 of them are high torqure digital Futaba servos the other two are standard servo's for throttle and servo choke.

Can anyone tell me what's needed? I think I need a 2S 4000 -5000 Mamp battery and a 6v voltage regulator with a switch? Does that sound about right? Does the number of Cell's matter? In other words should I get a 3S -11.1v or stick to 2S - 7.4v ? Would that be too much for the voltage regulator to handle on 3S? Also does the c rating matter in applications like this. I was trying to find a cheap 20c battery but there all out. Please tell me if I'm on the right path or not. And what your doing. Cheapie China is hit and miss so I'd rather have someone chime in that's used the cheapie stuff and know it works before I go out spending money on junk.

Here is what I was thinking please let me know if anyone else is doing this?

Volatage Regulator:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6233

Battery:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9514
Old 06-27-2010, 07:34 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Coverting to Lipo?? I got Questions Help Needed

One of your key factors to consider is the total MAH capacity of your battery.

The regulator looses a little power

6v uses more power than 4.8V
Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not wanting to be a spoil sport but I don't see how you would get better capacity out of a LiPo setup, or why would would need that on a 30% YAK
I personally use 2 x 2000mAh Eneloop (5 cell) packs on all my 50cc planes and have ample flight time (also on high-torque digitals).

Rather than the extra complication of LiPo batteries, regulators etc, why not 2 Eneloop packs, connected to separate slots in your receiver and with separate switches.
If you want even better redundancy, stick a 2Pac from 42% in between. Very simple, gives you 4,000mAh capacity and works well.

I also wonder if your servos are binding or if the batteries are not fully charging for some reason?
Could also be your battery indicator playing tricks on you
Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 PM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Fidy$Trainer

I've got a 30% Lanier Yak and I'd like to convert to Lipo. Right now I've got a 4000mamp Ni-Ca battery. I'm only getting about 3 or four flights before I get my low flight indicator going off on me. I'd like to convert it to Lipo and be done with it. It's running 8 servo's 6 of them are high torqure digital Futaba servos the other two are standard servo's for throttle and servo choke.

Can anyone tell me what's needed? I think I need a 2S 4000 -5000 Mamp battery and a 6v voltage regulator with a switch? Does that sound about right? Does the number of Cell's matter? In other words should I get a 3S -11.1v or stick to 2S - 7.4v ? Would that be too much for the voltage regulator to handle on 3S? Also does the c rating matter in applications like this. I was trying to find a cheap 20c battery but there all out. Please tell me if I'm on the right path or not. And what your doing. Cheapie China is hit and miss so I'd rather have someone chime in that's used the cheapie stuff and know it works before I go out spending money on junk.

Here is what I was thinking please let me know if anyone else is doing this?

Volatage Regulator:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6233

Battery:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9514

Make sure your Home Owners Insurance is up to snuff !
Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be using a four cell battery pack of NiCad’s for a 30% model. If you are getting such a short flight time from your current battery pack, you may have a degraded pack that needs replacement or there is something wrong with you setup including the possibility of mechanical drag on the servos. By adding all the complexity you are suggesting you are reducing the overall reliability of your airborne pack by an enormous amount. Test your battery and recheck your flight pack. Dan.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd make a change to A 123 batteries instead of Lipoly. You are placing the life of your plane in the hands of some of the cheapest regulators on the planet. I would not do the same if it was mine. With A-123 there is no need of regulators for the flight system.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:31 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A123 batteries are the LiFe type

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&search=Go

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...p;ParentCat=85

Old 06-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Fidy$Trainer

Awesome. I think I will go this route. Now I just may have to wait six months for HK to replace thier stock. So how many mah battery should I get then? Does everyone agree on 4000? I want to keep the setup simple. I just want one battery. I previously stated I had 8 servo's I actually have 9. 4 high torque Futaba servo's in the wing two on each aileron, two high torqure servo's for elavator, one for rudder. Standard hitec servo for choke and throttle. I've got a seprate battery for the igniton.

Seprate question what are you guys doing for switches on the LiFe batteries?? On the Lipo's some of the regulators have switch's which makes turning the battery on and off easy. But if the LiFe / A123 don't need a regulator how do you make this work with some sort of switch. Sorry for all the nube questions. But you guys are right. I'm tired off all the worying I do about charging my lipo's. Rather take that out of the equation completley.
You can go ahead and ignore this thread. I'm going to start a new one on how to setup for a123's. I think this is a better route as many have suggested.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can go ahead and ignore this thread. I'm going to start a new one on how to setup for a123's. I think this is a better route as many have suggested.
Anyone who is planning to change to A123s should get familiar with how they work and how to use them.

http://wildharerc.com/downloads/documents/A123-info.pdf

This will tell you what you need to know, do not use A123s until you understand them, they are great batteries but you cannot treat them like a Nicad pack.

TF