Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

glue dried, hinges in wrong place

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

glue dried, hinges in wrong place

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 08:11 PM
kreativdesigns
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glue dried, hinges in wrong place

I have the top flight stinson reliant and I was gluing the hinge points on the elevator. I taped it up to let the epoxy set and walked away. The tape did not hold and now I have two elevators with epoxied hinges in the wrong place. Any suggestions as to how to fix this? I was thinking taking a hacksaw to the hinges and just redrillin it all? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:16 PM
David Cutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could just cut them off, sand smooth, and fit more hinge points in another place, say, close to the old ones.

-David C.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:20 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cut the hinge off flush with the control surface. Get a piece of brass tubing that is slightly larger than the diameter of the hinge. Sharpen the end of the tube, slider it over the left over hinge, then just "cookie" cut the hinge out. Fill the hole with fresh wood and start over.
Sometimes when you cut them off, they will have a small hole in the center that you can use for a pilot hole and drill out with a regular bit.