Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help! Set screw removal

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help! Set screw removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:17 PM
lg richard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Set screw removal

Any tips on how to remove a set screw that has a hex socket that seems to be stripped? This is a .050 hex wrench size. It is in a plastic gear with a metal hub so I think heat is out of the question. Thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 11:27 PM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default set screw problems

Try to find you a small Cobolt drill. That is about the only thing that will drill the hex screw.
Good Luck
Lee
Old 07-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Papa Tango

Use a small screw extractor, available from most hardware stores such as Home Depot etc. If you aren't familiar with this tool, it is rather like a twist drill bit except that the "twist" is in the opposite direction so that when you turn the direction to loosen the set screw the flutes of the tool will bite into the hole's edges and allow you to turn the screw out as normal.

Good luck!!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:51 AM
squareloop
My Feedback: (1)

Give this a try. Alot of times its the allen wrench tip that gets rounded off after awhile. I just stand it on end on a fine metal file, piece of aluminox sandpaper or grinding wheel and grind it down some. Takes about 30 seconds to do.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:08 PM
3 Channel Brain

Default Set screw removal

If a new end on your allen key dposn't do it cut a sceewdriver
slot in it with the cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool & unsrew it while it is hot --heat helps especially if it has loctite or epoxy on the threads.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Rahlberg13-delete

Fill the hole with 5 minute epoxy. When it's about to cure (starting to setup), stick yor allen key in there and let it cure around it. Then unscrew it. After it's out, just toss it. The allen key's are cheap and easy to replace. Or if you want to keep it, just break the screw off and chip off the epoxy with an exacto knife.

Russ
Old 07-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Set screw

Or, depending on size, get a small torx bit that will fit or barely fit. Tap it in and screw it out.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:58 PM
lg richard

Thanks for all the suggestions gang. I haven't had time to try any of them yet. I dont think I have ever seen an "easyout" small enough to remove a #2 screw, but will look around for one.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Papa Tango

LG,

I bought a set of 5 screw extractors, "easyouts", at Lowe's, the smallest of which has printed on the shaft "5/64's drill". Home Depot will probably have the same.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:59 AM
NavyE6FE

You can also get a set of 4 small extractors at Sears. Also if you have a Ace Hardware or something like it you can get set screws for collars and such. the ones I have found are stainless steel and they seem to have a deeper socket, you also might be able to find some that are longer or that use a small screwdriver instead of an allen wrench. The local HD or Lowes did not have these smaller set screws or the locals have opened the bags and taken what they want.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:46 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

If there's a well-stocked industrial tool supply store in your area, you can get some left-handed drills. the flutes will bite and unscrew the setscrew. Also, if you have a drill press, you can chuck up an ezy out and use low speed reverse to back it out, usually without drilling, since the rounded hole will usually work with the right size ezy out. just plunge firmly into the hole to get a good bite and keep gentle pressure on the plunge arm as the screw backs out.