Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Glow Plug Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 07:58 PM
blitheringFool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plug Woes

Hi, I'm new here

I recently bought a used GS Storm RTR form eBay, and it came with the stock engine. I want to race it in my local races, but the glow plug keeps on burning out. I had this same problem before, and it was easily fixed with newer fuel, however, this is new fuel (sidewinder 20%) and it started having problems again. I had a fairly new plug, and it burned, then I replaced it with an OS A5 plug, and it didn't even run for 1 minute before stalling and burning. The temperatures were acceptable (approx 230F and 150F). The previous owner broke the engine in with 30% fuel, is this what is causing this? I would appreciate any and all feedback, as I would not like to spend 10 bucks(Canadian) each time i run the Storm.

Thx
bF
Old 07-26-2003, 10:07 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Glow Plug Woes

LOL I've never seen an engine eat plugs like that!

What exactly happens to the plug? Does it become black? When you ignite the plug out of the engine how does it look? How does the engine run, and what do you mean by "it didn't even run for 1 minute before stalling and burning."?

Does it flare out?

If he was running 30% you might want to check and see if he added another shim. This can cause some serious issues.

ram
Old 07-26-2003, 10:27 PM
blitheringFool

Default Glow Plug Woes

Yes the glow plug does become black, and it looks like the coil is rammed up further into the plug. I think the engine runs normal, and when it stalls, I cant get it started again because of the glow plug. I can put a new plug in and it starts fine, but then it burns out.

Excuse me for being ignorant, but what does "flare out" mean? (sorry, i'm new at this )

As far as I know he didn't add another shim. I will check on it though.

thx again
bF
Old 07-26-2003, 11:14 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Glow Plug Woes

No problem. Flare out is when it runs out of fuel. Guess its the opposite of bogging down. I just learnt the word the other day lol

Ok I really do think its either your fuel or the shim. I think you really need to run some new fuel through it. Sounds like all the fuel evaporated and all you got left is oil! lol.

Try some fresh fuel.. borrow some from a friend or something.

Actually check the shim now. IT wont take but 5 minutes! Just make sure you CLEAN EVERYTHING before you take the engine apart. You dont want crud going in there!

Ram
Old 07-27-2003, 02:05 AM
-tommi-

Default Glow Plug Woes

Maybe you could check the low end needle settings, richen it; I had my glow plug burnt when I had my low end set too lean.
2 cents
Old 07-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Bull_831

Default Glow Plug Woes

I too am new. Someone told me that if you go to a 30% fuel you must run that the rest of the motors life.

My 2 cents,
Bull_831
Old 07-27-2003, 02:38 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Glow Plug Woes

No I disagree. I switch from 30/20/15% all the time. ITs a pain to tune it thats about it.

Engines do not "adapt" to nitro %s I dont think.
Heck I wouldnt even waste my money on 30% fuel inesll its a competition motor $250+

Ram
Old 07-28-2003, 08:34 AM
evollace

Default Glow Plug Woes

if u use 30% u need to reduce comp ratio... try adding .1 shim.
also ... try to make the pipe longer
Old 07-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Callidus

Default Glow Plug Woes

I had a similar problem (engine eating glow plugs). It ended up being debris in the cylinder from a previous obliterated coil from a plug. The engine would run for a short time then the debris would detroy the new plug.

A full strip and clean of the engine in soapy water and a complete oil sorted it for me.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:15 PM
rclooney

Default Glow Plug Woes

Engines do not "adapt" to nitro %s I dont think.
They DO. The engine has to go through a process depending on the change in op temps. If you run it in on 30%, it is best to run it on it until it goes ko'd. Then you can try ANY fuel. Won't do much though.lol
Old 07-30-2003, 01:45 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Default Glow Plug Woes

What I meant by adapt was.. They get "situated" a certain way and certain parts wear more right?

And when you change nitro.. the explosion characteristics change and another part might see more wear.

In the end.. is it ok or not to change? :| lol

ram
Old 07-30-2003, 03:51 PM
rclooney

Default Glow Plug Woes

If you want my professional oppinion, no. If you want my racing oppinion, why not run it on a nitro/castor mix.lol