Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

plastic vs metal tracks

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: plastic vs metal tracks

It ain't mine, it fires a blank pistol cartridge, don't know the price but it will be dear, and don't know if he has another on. It's hand made obviously.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:13 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Field work is always additional work. One day in the field,,, even nice weather will give you 2-3 days cleanup and repair. Sticky, clay mud is THE royal PITA, and if it's freezing, means working with high pressure hose, 60 inch pry bar and 10 lb sledge to get it off.
Inside will be full of twigs, branches, leaves, expended mg brass, bugs, and an occasional snake or nasty spiders. Here's typical training shot of an M-47 at Ft Knox.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fd93016.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	1491770  
Old 08-29-2010, 02:06 AM
city hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For hl tanks in plastic. I;ve broke rather easily a tiger track, and 1 or 2 in the stug 3, but they did take some abuse., my jagd which has seen very littl use since it was basically doa hasnt broken one yet
Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 AM
karel47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have six tamiya tanks and for them it isn't neccesary to swap too metal ones, the only wich i would give metal ones is the king tiger, some guy's in the club get now and then isseu's with broken links when in rough terrain ... we have 100m sqaure wood on the club ... its fun to battle in but also ... be awere the tanker where to turn and misuse his pantser ... until this day i never had abroken link with my kt's have four of them. My sherman rides with original tracks (plastic - metal) that came with the kit.

The HL tracks are another story, one guy broke his HL Tiger I trackson the first turn in our wood by trying to keep up with rivetcounter 1/6 Tiger I so its adviseble to use metals on that one, i also changed my HL pantherand jagdpanther with metal torro tracks, we get them for 50€ fot a set with wheels on www.torro-shop.de

I kept also my plastic tracks by my WSNTiger I it runs great and haven't broken yet, although they are very light, constructed very sturdy
Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 AM
bowlman

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

On my heavy Tamiya Henschel KT I run metal tracks I tried plastic tracks that had the pins glued and painted but still would have pins come loose running in medium high grass .
Went back to metal on her this week now that we have for the 18 tooth Impact sprockets slipping in the tracks problem fix .
On the liter tanks I can still run plastic tracks just make shore the pins are glued in and have converted the idlers to adjustable kind .

Jimmy