Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Swiwin Turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Swiwin Turbines

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 11:42 PM
BobFlint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba SBUS2 telemetry issue continued

Hi guys,, sorry to drag this thread back to the SBUS2/Telemetry/throttle topic,, but!!!!

I'm installing a SW140b into a model with a BoomaRC Smoothflite16,, this uses 2X Futaba 7008 RX's for redundancy...

The problem: if you run a throttle cable from the Smoothflite16 to the PPM port, you get throttle input working fine, if you turn off the Tx, the Smoothflite16 sends a failsafe signal to the ecu to say stop, that's fine. Now you plug in your cable from the telemetry port to SBUS2 port, the telemetry works fine, but the engine has (as we know) a built in SBUS decoder, and picks out the throttle channel data streaming out of the SBUS2 port on the Rx, which over-rides the signal coming in from the PPM port. you still get throttle input, but now only from that one Rx, it stops the use of the Smoothflite16 Rx redundancy.. you are not supposed to use failsafe on the Tx, as apparently that can cause "jitters" to the Smoothflite16... so now, if I turn the Tx off, the engine won't stop, it just "Holds" idle... (by our regulations, it must stop).

Is there a way to stop the ECU from looking at the SBUS data stream for throttle input, while still streaming out the telemetry data??? OR preferencing PPM input over SBUS2 input?

I tried the SBUS Thr channel setting, hoping you could disable it,, but all you can do is select another channel...

I can't be the only one using a Swiwin with a Smoothflite16/26 or Powerbox etc etc????

Has anyone worked this one out???

Cheers

Bob Flint
Old 07-21-2022, 04:40 PM
more

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobFlint
Hi guys,, sorry to drag this thread back to the SBUS2/Telemetry/throttle topic,, but!!!!

I'm installing a SW140b into a model with a BoomaRC Smoothflite16,, this uses 2X Futaba 7008 RX's for redundancy...

The problem: if you run a throttle cable from the Smoothflite16 to the PPM port, you get throttle input working fine, if you turn off the Tx, the Smoothflite16 sends a failsafe signal to the ecu to say stop, that's fine. Now you plug in your cable from the telemetry port to SBUS2 port, the telemetry works fine, but the engine has (as we know) a built in SBUS decoder, and picks out the throttle channel data streaming out of the SBUS2 port on the Rx, which over-rides the signal coming in from the PPM port. you still get throttle input, but now only from that one Rx, it stops the use of the Smoothflite16 Rx redundancy.. you are not supposed to use failsafe on the Tx, as apparently that can cause "jitters" to the Smoothflite16... so now, if I turn the Tx off, the engine won't stop, it just "Holds" idle... (by our regulations, it must stop).

Is there a way to stop the ECU from looking at the SBUS data stream for throttle input, while still streaming out the telemetry data??? OR preferencing PPM input over SBUS2 input?

I tried the SBUS Thr channel setting, hoping you could disable it,, but all you can do is select another channel...

I can't be the only one using a Swiwin with a Smoothflite16/26 or Powerbox etc etc????

Has anyone worked this one out???

Cheers

Bob Flint
You have to choose between redundancy(by PPM port from SF16) or telemetry(by S.Bus2 port from one receiver).
Old 07-21-2022, 04:50 PM
BobFlint

Originally Posted by more
You have to choose between redundancy(by PPM port from SF16) or telemetry(by S.Bus2 port from one receiver).
Hi mate, thanks for your reply,, that’s basically the conclusion I came up with, I’ve chosen Rx redundancy over telemetry…

I’d love it, if in an upcoming firmware update, that you could turn the (SBUS) Thr CH parameter to “invalid” just like the SBUS Aux CH parameter,, that way you could run throttle into the PPM port from your powerbox/Smoothflite and still have telemetry flowing out of ECU and into SBUS2 port, WITHOUT it picking off Throttle Channel data…

Futaba Telemetry…. It never ceases to trip me up,,, one way or another….

Old 02-03-2023, 09:46 PM
andrewjet
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend has a brand new Swiwin 80 and it is popping after startup once it reaches idle and ready, could this be because the pump has been set too high? Is there a standard pump setting for California?
Old 04-21-2023, 11:27 AM
rickisound

Default AR14400T powersafe anomaly

Hi Guys , after many tests, I managed to make the swiwin telemetry work with the AR14400T, the only way is to turn on the receiver using the button and immediately after the LEDs turn on, quickly press the button again, probably doing so the simultaneity of the supply voltages occurs and the telemetry of the Xbus port starts

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

best regard
Riccardo
Old 11-08-2023, 05:06 PM
pzar

Much has been written about the Spektrum Powersafe receivers and Swiwin turbines and getting the telemetry to work. I have the cable that provide power for the ECU from the xbuss cable. I get the data fields showing up on NX10 receiver screen but no data.....have all the updated software in receiver and transmitter.....I have spent significant time on this effort but no turbine telemetry......any ideas ?????
Old 12-13-2023, 07:49 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CRX Turbines
Ceeray, Others have told me 11ms is the magic number. 16 will definitely enable you to connect Jeti with the Swiwin ECU.

Andy
Finishing up my turbine install and ran into the same problem with ECU and my Jeti, thankfully found this thread and set to 11ms. Finally able to get it set up. Question now is, how does this frame rate affect other servos?
Old 06-09-2024, 01:49 PM
Gaz00

Default Swiwin Telemetry vs Spektrum AR14400T

It's been a few months now! Anyone was able to get the Spektrum AR14400T working with Swiwin telemetry?

Spektrum IX20 Tx
Spektrum AR14400T PowerSafe receiver (up to date)
Swiwin 120B
Using BAD BOYZ RC Powersafe cable,

Still not working...

Anyone with more success!?!? Thx
Old 06-09-2024, 01:55 PM
pzar

Nope.....my last correspondence with Spektrum is they are still working on it.
Old 06-09-2024, 01:58 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaz00
It's been a few months now! Anyone was able to get the Spektrum AR14400T working with Swiwin telemetry?

Spektrum IX20 Tx
Spektrum AR14400T PowerSafe receiver (up to date)
Swiwin 120B
Using BAD BOYZ RC Powersafe cable,

Still not working...

Anyone with more success!?!? Thx

Do some nosing around on the radio forum at RCGroups. IIRC, there are some ECU's which will not play unless powered with the model. Since the PS rx's do not sent out a signal until they bind with the tx. The time delay was causing some issues with some ECU's. There's a work around which IIRC, involves powering the ECU when the model batteries are turned on.
Old 06-09-2024, 01:58 PM
Gaz00

Originally Posted by pzar
Nope.....my last correspondence with Spektrum is they are still working on it.
Thanks a lot! So Spektrum is aware that they have an issue I guess!? When was that?

Cheers

Gaz
Old 06-09-2024, 02:00 PM
Gaz00

Originally Posted by Zeeb

Do some nosing around on the radio forum at RCGroups. IIRC, there are some ECU's which will not play unless powered with the model. Since the PS rx's do not sent out a signal until they bind with the tx. The time delay was causing some issues with some ECU's. There's a work around which IIRC, involves powering the ECU when the model batteries are turned on.
Thanks for the tip but I already tried everything that was mentionned in most forums...no success unfortunately.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:59 AM
CloneCD

Default SW300B Error: RPM Low

Hi guys. Maybe you can help me?

I have 5 planes with the sw300b engine, I fly only in automatic mode using Ardupilot and almost always (5 out of 7 times) I encounter this problem: The sw300b engine stalls at approximately the same place on the mission. In the logs I always see the same error: RPM low.

Flight parameters:
1. Take-off altitude 1300m above sea level.
2. The altitude at which the engine stalls is 4300 - 5300 meters (tried it at different altitudes).
3. Default motor settings.
4. Fuel: aviation kerosene with 5% oil.

After landing the engine starts without problems.

I tried to enable auto restart.
The engine, as usual, stalled during the flight, then tried to restart once, apparently it didn’t work and it turned off.

I didn't guess to save the logs, I just took screenshots.

Can I count on your help? Thank you.

best regard
Nicola

I can't attach screenshots...

Last edited by CloneCD; 07-18-2024 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 01:56 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts

a 3000-4000 meter change in altitude from take off to cruise level, is a rather large change in density altitude for a model turbine esc to handle.
Old 07-19-2024, 05:09 PM
Dave Wave

Try reducing the acceleration value....its probably a compressor stall as the margin gets reduced as the air thins out (same as when air temperature goes up ).

BTW what are you flying ? Not many model turbines make it that high! Can you share a picture?
Old 07-20-2024, 07:50 AM
CloneCD

Originally Posted by mongo
a 3000-4000 meter change in altitude from take off to cruise level, is a rather large change in density altitude for a model turbine esc to handle.
Do you think that such a high flight altitude is not suitable for this type of engine?

Information from sw300b_specification: Maximum service height 8000m.
Old 07-20-2024, 08:08 AM
CloneCD

Originally Posted by Dave Wave
Try reducing the acceleration value....its probably a compressor stall as the margin gets reduced as the air thins out (same as when air temperature goes up ).
Was used default acceleration/deacceleration values ​​ = 25/25.
Do you think the value needs to be reduced further?

Maybe need to add air intake?

[/QUOTE]BTW what are you flying ? Not many model turbines make it that high! Can you share a picture?[/QUOTE]

I can't attach a picture or link because I have less than 10 posts

Old 07-20-2024, 08:11 AM
CloneCD

BTW what are you flying ? Not many model turbines make it that high! Can you share a picture?

I used default acc/deacc values = 25/25.
Do you think that it is necessary to reduce the values ​​further?

I can't attach a picture or link because I have less than 10 posts.
Old 07-20-2024, 08:48 AM
Dave Wave

Does the flame out happen at a point in the mission when there would be a throttle/RPM change? As far as I know, the ECU is not temperature and altitude compensated, so a compressor stall might be likely. Early turbojets (full scale) were very restrictive with throttle movement at altitude.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:50 AM
CloneCD

I use default acceleration/deacceleration values: 25/25.
Do you think it is necessary to reduce these values further?

I can't attach a pictures, i don't have enought posts.
Old 07-26-2024, 04:21 AM
CloneCD

Does the flame out happen at a point in the mission when there would be a throttle/RPM change? As far as I know, the ECU is not temperature and altitude compensated, so a compressor stall might be likely. Early turbojets (full scale) were very restrictive with throttle movement at altitude.
I read that ECU v3 (which i use) not temperature and altitude compensated, unlike ECU v4.

How can I understand that flame out happen?
Old 07-26-2024, 05:53 AM
Dave Wave

You probably are going to have little direct evidence in the ECU data log as the logging rate is slow and stalls usually happen very fast in these small engines. "Speed low" usually means the engine is not maintaing the requested RPM or RPM rate change, and the ECU shut it down. If you have live audio you might be able to hear the "POP" or rumble the stall(s) occurs.

I would try reducing you acceleration values to the minimum amount you feel is safe to fly, or see if there is a slow/very slow setting in the ECU (king tech and Jetcat have this). Retest and see how it goes.

Most of the engines I have used are sensitive to temperature and humidity and I keep the rates slow to try and get some stall margin ( I only fly in the summer when its hot).
Old 08-14-2024, 03:26 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, too many issues. Getting an AceX engine, forget it. Or a JetCentral engine, those are plug and play no issues. Jetcat? Not no but hell no.
Old 08-14-2024, 06:57 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Huh?
Old 08-14-2024, 09:52 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ledd4u
Wow, too many issues. Getting an AceX engine, forget it. Or a JetCentral engine, those are plug and play no issues. Jetcat? Not no but hell no.
LOL AceX is Swiwin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.