Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Engine for Funtana X50

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Engine for Funtana X50

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Chocks_Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine for Funtana X50

Hiya.
Yeah, the .46 will be well underpowered, - I know, as that's what size I first tried mine on before removing it and getting a .91 FS, which in my opinion is just about right.

One or two others on here have got .90 two strokes in theirs and are happy with them.
A 1.20 is a bit big, but you might get away with it, as long as you use careful throttle management to keep the airspeed down, as its big control surfaces are prone to flutter at speed.

Weight wise, you should get away with 650 grammes with your 1.20, as my .91 FS weighs 742 Grammes, but I do need a bit of lead at the tail end to balance it !
If it was me, I'd probably go for it and try the 1.20 rather than spending more on another engine if you don't need to.
(which is why I tried my .46 to start off with, which turned out to be poor)
All it'll cost you is a bit of time and an engine mount to find out ?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
cosmic-charlie

Thanks for the reply
I may have to use a taller gear to swing the 14 x 10 > 15 x 6 range prop recommended ... any suggestions ?

What else, maybe a bigger fuel tank, a make sure the CG is right on with a 1/2 tank of fuel ?, and what fuel for cold weather flying ?

and no throttle above 60 % ? (+-)

Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Chocks_Away

Hiya.

You should be ok with the standard landing gear, - it was designed with larger props in mind than the original Funtana. (apparently)
Mine swings a 14x4W (Wide blade prop), and there is still enough room to put a 15" prop on with no problem.

Personally, I'd use either a 14x4 or 15x4 to keep the speed down, plus the low pitch will give you the best thrust too.

Fuel tank wise....
Mine still has the original 11 oz tank in it, and I get about 8 - 10 mins on that with mixed throttle use.
I balanced mine with an empty fuel tank just as I would any other model, and it's been fine that way.
Fuel for cold weather ? - I use the same fuel all year round with no different effects - I use Model Technics Irvine sport 5%

Generally I use 1/3 - 1/2 throttle for most of the flying, and only use 100% throttle for take offs and vertical climbs.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:37 AM
cosmic-charlie

My local hobby shop sold me a 3 blade Graupner 14" x 7, he insisted it would save my OS 1.20 from most likey needing to be retuned and over reving ... and be way better than a 14 x 4 or 15 x 4 ...
so I bought it, what do you think ?

Thanks

C
Old 11-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Chocks_Away

Hmmmm ???????
Pass. [&:]

Personally, I can't see why it would over rev ? [sm=72_72.gif]
You'd need to re-tune it (alter the mixture needle) whatever prop you changed it too anyway, and that's no big deal.
Swinging a 15" prop on a 1.20 would be about the same as swinging a 3 bladed 14" one anyway.
(when using a 3 blade prop, you're supposed to drop a size from the size you used with a 2 blade prop)

Using a 14x7 wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion, whether or not it was 2 bladed or 3 bladed - it's just not the right sort of prop for this type of plane.
You need a prop that generates more static thrust and less "top end" speed, - hence a low pitched one.
This plane is made for 3D flight, so you need the extra thrust for that, and you only get that with the low end of the prop pitch.
Running the Funtana on a 14x7 would run a high risk of control surface flutter because of the speed that it will fly at.
Hope this helps.

I'm no expert having only been in the hobby for almost 4 years, but personally, I feel that the shop has given you the wrong advise and doesn't properly know what they are doing ?
Anyone else like to help out or comment on this one too - to back me up on this ?
Cheers. [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 AM
cosmic-charlie

I think your right.
I'm going to exchange it for a 14 x 4 or 14 x 5 or 15 x 4 or 15 x 5, whichever they have in stock.
Although the motor looks giant on the 50, I have read many people have used even heavier, but smaller cc / older motors and did ok.

btw - the 1.20 OS was on my Showtime 90 with a 16 x 8, and it flew just OK, lacking great power and kinda slow ...
the previous owner of the Showtime 90 told me to use a 1.50 2 stroke and I guess he was right.

The 1.20 will fit on the 50 either straight up or sideways, the the throttle ok either way as well, any recommendations ...

I assume I need to keep the prop shaft centered on the fuselage at the same spot as the original location. and reinforce/ reglue the fire wall for additional strength ...

Thanks

C

Old 11-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Chocks_Away

Mmm....

As for the showtime, yeah I would have either put a 1.20 or 1.50 in that, so yeah, a 1.50 probably would have been better then.

Personally, I would mount the motor sideways so that you haven't got as much cylinder head poking out of the top - adding more drag.
Mounting it 90 degreees on it's side doesn't make the cylinder head stick out as much.
Using a 2 stroke engine will more than likely result in you needing to make a cut out in the bottom to allow you to fit your silencer, unless you have an extension piece for it.

Yes, - mount your engine so that the prop driver is central to the firewall like the original fitment.
I reinforced the firewall, as well as the undercarriage mountings, as I've read about a few people that have ripped their U/C out, even on light landings.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 AM
elnegro

Long time without flying my Funtana and I want to adjust de CG for 3D. What are your suggestions?
Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 09:40 PM
hicks310
My Feedback: (6)

I have a OS 72 4s on mine. Not enough power if you want to pull out of a hover. It will hold, but no pull out power. Considering putting my Satio 100 on it.. That should have enough power.

ORIGINAL: cosmic-charlie

I TRIED MY OS 46 ON THE FUNTANA 50 - NOT A GREAT FLYER IN GENERAL. (SO WEAK)
I HAVE AN OS 120AX -DO I TRY IT FOR EVERYDAY FUN FLYING, I"M NOT REALLY A 3D FLYER (YET)
I WAS THINKING OF BUYING A OS 75 AX BUT THOUGHT THE 120 MAY WORK (MAYBE) ?
THE WEIGHT OF THE 75 IS 550 GRAMS AND THE 120 IS 650 GRAMS !
I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE ENGINE COWL BEING ON

ANY SUGESTIONS / POINTERS WILL BE HELPFUL

I DON'T HAVE ANY FS EXPERIENCE

THANKS
Old 09-11-2020, 12:25 PM
rilrom2000
My Feedback: (16)

Default Funtana x50

Does anyone have a funtana x50 they want to get rid of? Used or unused. Or even plans to build one from. Thanks in advance.
Frank
Old 09-15-2020, 06:39 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I've got one with about 30 flights on it. No crashes or hard landings. The cowl is cut for a Saito 82. The problem is boxing and shipping. Unless you are passing through my neck of the woods it's more trouble than it's worth.
Email me if you want to visit about it.

David
[email protected]