Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for an Electric Plane....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Looking for an Electric Plane....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:53 AM
simmo8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for an Electric Plane....

good on ya mate the super cub is a great plane for the beginer pilot , pilots
happy flying
simmo
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Chris_RC

any extra parts I should get for it?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 AM
captWalker

Hey Chris, I hope that you have not gone out and bought the super cub yet. Although the super cub is a great plane it lacks what is very important to have in a first plane.
It is best to have a pusher type plane for training purposes. With the motor mounted on the rear of the plane it is less likely to receive any kind of damage form a crash. I am assuming that your grandfather has never flown and will be learning? If this is the case you are going to want something that can take a lot of abuse and keep on going with very little to no damage. I would like to let you know about Readytoflyfun.com... I encourage you to check it out. The T-Hawk is a great trainer and is right in your price range. Also I noticed in one of your post you wanted to be able to customize your order to your wants and needs without having to have equipment that you do not need. Readytoflyfun.com will let you customize your order just the way you want it. Check out the videos also. I am speaking with first hand experience about the products form Readytoflyfun.com and I know if you do end up purchasing one of there planes you will not be disappointed. Please check it out and then post a reply of what you think about the site.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:50 AM
simmo8

no just another batery if you want to
Old 04-04-2008, 06:56 AM
simmo8

i would still get the supercub because you are unlikely to crash it and i would say that it would be just as strong if not stronger than the t hawk not saying dont look at the t hawk it IS worth a look
happy flying

simmo
Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Leo L

Hi Chris,

For the SC, I would buy a couple of extra props and the upgrade (larger) battery. Rough landings can, and will, do some damage, so you will want to have clear packing tape, 5 minute epoxy and FOAM SAFE CA with kicker (the kicker activates the CA). Have your grandpa read the various hints for first time flyers in the sticky section of the Beginner forums here, and on RCGroups and Wattflyer. Then stand back and watch him fly. He'll have a terrific time.

The information that CaptWalker provided is generally correct, that pusher planes are best for beginners, but the SC is the great exception. The SC is simply the best beginner plane, even better than the famous and enormously popular EasyStar. The EasyStar, and its various copies, comes in a close second. The T-hawk, and the very similar Aerobird3, are one level down from those two. They are good beginner planes, but not nearly as good as the SC and the EasyStar.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 AM
simmo8

now you joged my memory a bit i would definetley get the stuff that LeoL recomendes.also read and study a bit about how an airplane flyes may sound a bit silly but it helps you alot in the long run and if you understand how everything works who knows it may even save you a crash
good luck hope everything works out for you and your grampar
happy flying to you both keep us up to date with your progress

simmo
Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
ahr43

Hey guys and gals,

Reading the above, it appears the SC is the beginners electric to consider? That be me in ariframes, a beginner. Prefer a RTF or ARF. What I see in my minds eye is a STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) taildragger airframe with REAL rugged landing gear. Lots of fly time and real forgiving. What I'd really like is a replica of the long-nose turboprop high-wing monoplane STOL in the movie [/i]Air America[/i]. Probably not ready for that. Antonov AN-2 bipe is another favorite. That gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Lately I've been looking for something to fill my spare time. I'm RC drag racing a brushless/LiPo Top Fuel Electric dragster at the national level, and an electric brushed LiMn bracket car at the local and regional level. So, I'm kinda familar with the electrics of it.

I have off weekends and weekdays I am looking to fill with a challenge. I've always had a hankerin to fly RC. Like an electric that'll fly out of a minimally prepared field and enjoy flying. Sacrifce of speed and to some extent handling is a given. Appreciate any recommendations and/or thoughts you all may have.

"Oz" [aka 'Old Low and Slow']
Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
simmo8

G-day
check out the hobbyzone supercub it is cheep , electric , easy to fly and very strong it is made of foam so it is easy to fix and because it is foam it is not as brittle as a bulsa plane this means that it will bounce rather than crunch. or you could go to a club and get a trainer and an instructer
good luck

simmo
Old 04-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Bigake1

Chris:

I taught a Dr. friend of mine to fly nitro r/c a few years back and he too thought he would catch on overnight but he realized it wasn't that easy. He was a full scale pilot with over 4000 hours in various airplanes... My thoughts are to learn the right way and avoid crashes... Crashes are very bad for your confidence and your wallet so get an instructor to help you and your Grandpa and you will enjoy it much better.
Bigake
Old 04-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Chris_RC

I have flown a nitro plane though. One of my relatives has a about 10 of them, so about 2-3 years ago I got to fly one. It was pretty hard to control even though it wasn't even at 3/4, but I managed not to crash.