Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carden YAK build page

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carden YAK build page

Morning JB

What I was trying to say was this.

Why not take both caps and draw a straight line down the center and hinge them. Then cut the bevels, then glue them to the cores then sheet the wings. Only thing left to do then is to cut the sheeting to remove the elev and ailerons. That way nothing can be "Off" a bit. This method does pretty much require a foam cutter.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:11 AM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Oh, I get it now. The caps aren't pre shaped top to bottom (1x2" square piece of balsa). Therefore, by hinging first, you can glue it on the end and then cut through the end cap and sand it down to the hinge line to ensure that it perfectly even with the centered hinge line. The foam was pre-cut.

And I'm not saying your way wouldn't work, I just chose to do it differently, there are many ways to get very similar end results and I think that's what makes this hobby fun. Always learning new ideas and ways of doing things.

Thanks for the comments though, it may help someone keeping up with the thread some ideas for a new project they are about to start.

John
Old 06-20-2006, 09:37 AM
JB Rekit

Another update: http://jkbraziel.com/plane%20yak%20day46.htm

The build has been at a little slower pace since it became obvious I wasn't going to make the Abiline contest last weekend, but nearly have the covering complete and expect to fly it in the next couple of days.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:42 PM
JB Rekit

Flew it last Friday right at the 2 month mark! Flew smooth, although I know most of you IMAC guys know, it takes about 30-50 flights to get the thing dialed in to do everything you want. It was a little nose heavy and took just a little up trim in the elevator that you can see in compared to the stab and it was taking a lot more deflection on the ailerons than I have used in the past to get it to snap quick enough to not end up in the dirt on a downline. So other than that, I'm going to drill a few holes to take an oz or two out of the engine box and maybe make my standoffs about 1/4" shorter and go from there. I'm sure once I move my cg the thrust will need to be reset again, but that's all part of it.

I'll let you guys know when I have more pics up.