Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

weedy build

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 AM
tjmackey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: weedy build

Thanks jdoug, it is the point on the end that causes the problem in relation to personal injury[] but if its ok to grind of the bottom so there is no point that might help. Would it cause a problem if i was to radius the tips, as in make them more rounded than a point? I made the hardware on the boat myself anyways so i dont think it would hurt to try i can always make them again if need be[8D]. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM
jdoug

I don't see a problem with it. You just don't want any lift from your turn fins. When I ground them flat I made sure that the bottom which is now flat wasn't able to produce lift. I actually ground at a slight reverse angle. If you radius the bottom of the fin, you might want to sharpen the bottom as well. Your right though, that point on the fin is the body slayer.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:45 AM
tjmackey

Thanks for the info, don't know what ill do, if I leave them how they are in get sliced, if I make them flat, theres tecnically still points, and if I radius and sharpen them, then ive got pizza cutters waiting for my next mistake.My boats not fast anyways, I think if i just make them blunt, along with the prop, it probably wont affect the "performance" that much
Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 AM
tjmackey

any one here have problems using spectrum with boats? have heard of this from others but wanted more opinions
Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM
dicko

They just released a new marine specific unit for boats, but I used to run the spektrum pro & had issues. it is well documented, if you do want to use sprektrum get their marine specific unit, nothing else. Alternatively go with Airtronics or Futaba, both proven on water.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:35 AM
tjmackey

thankyou dicko, very interesting
Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes and spektrum dont advocate its use on water,not heard of the marine specific one but im asuming this one uses a different system?.I would recomend the futaba fasst system for water use and for extra distance go for an air one with two antennas,mine has two on the rx and i dont even run it outside the radio box.
Mart
Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 AM
brodjack

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=28698
Old 06-28-2009, 03:42 PM
martno1fan

Nice one that looks like a good idea having the rx waterproof now all we need is water proof servos then we wont need to mess with radio boxes.
Mart
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM
dicko

Waterproofing a servo is easy, pull it apart, spray it with corroasion x & put marine grease on all the joins (servo case joins top & bottom, spline hole & wire lead hole) before screwing it back together. I do this on all my servos but still put them in radio boxes for added security. I also spray all my Rxs with corrosion X too.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 AM
martno1fan

Ive tried all that and it never works i dunked a cpl in my sail boats after doing all that and they still died [].Never had an rx die though even in a dunk and without waterproofing ,usually clean with tap water let em dry out and theyre fine,even had one dunk in salt water and after flushing as above it was fine,same cant be said for servos .I even dropped an fm radio in the salt water and did the same trick washed under the tap after stripping it open and left it hanging out to dry,it started right up and its still going 2 yrs later ,servos have since died as no radio boxes in sail boats [].
Mart
Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 AM
dicko

The servo in my sailboat are still functioning after 3 years of sailing in fresh & salt water. I've never had an issue doing it the way I described.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 AM
alexdrift

this weedy build looks like it's going well