Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

6v Battery???

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

6v Battery???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 02:59 PM
rcuser006
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6v Battery???

Originally posted by Texas 3D
BTW guys, Batteries America have a 2000 NIMH pack in AA size. Radical RC has only the 1650.
We should compare apple with apples here! The pack in question from Batteries America does not use Sanyo cells. They are some 'Private Label' cell. Now they may be good quality cells, but how would we know?

The 1650mAh pack at Radical RC does use Sanyo cells.

Also the Batteries America website is horrible.......it loads a huge long page with all of their products on it and you have to scroll slowly through it looking to see what they have.

I am not knocking or praising either company, I just think we should do a fair comparison.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default 6v Battery???

Most of Futaba's equipment is made to be used with 4 cell alkaline packs this is the same voltage as a 5 cell NiCad pack (6 volts). As far as increased wear, if your servos have to generate their specified torque to move then you need larger servos. If you need 40ozin to move a control then you will be using almost 100% of a standard servo at 4.8 volts but only about 80% of the available torque with a 6 volt pack. While I usually loose this argument, if both are generating 40ozin then due to the conservation of energy the input power has to be about the same plus losses in the wires and servo amplifiers. Like I said, I usually loose this argument!
Old 06-15-2003, 08:39 AM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

Default 6v Battery???

Originally posted by hyperviper89
You could run it down to 4.8 if you wanted to, but after the battery drops a little below 6 volts it's discharge curve is much steeper. It is not advisable, but I have done it by running shorter flights and checking the battery often once it is below the 6 volt.
I really don't think you want to run a 6V battery down to 4.8V, unless you want to pick up some balsa pieces! That would be bringing the voltage down to under 1V per cell. You might fly down to 5.5 volts safely, but personally I would be looking to recharge around 5.7-5.8 volts. Let's hear some more on this.

As far as a 4.8V pack goes, you should be able to safely bring it down a little below 4.8V. My Hobbico 4.8V ESV scale hits the red at 4.6 volts. I don't have a 6V ESV, but it would be interesting to know where the red zone begins on this scale. Of course, those ESV readings will only be accurate if the load it imposes accurately reflects the load of your plane's electronics.

Wade