Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Look at what Santa is bringing me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
azzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Look at what Santa is bringing me!

ORIGINAL: evader driver

see with me electric just doesn't have the power nitro does i men i have a rustler that a friend gave me and it will run for 15 min on a 1500 battery pack but there is no compromise when it comes to power and the savage i am not saying no but i am saying you may like you may not. me personally i am a nitro guy for life
Has that Rustler got a decent brushless motor...because if it did you would not be complaining about the power...lol...

I def love nitro, but do have a soft spot for the ease of electric...[:-]
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Vigilante212

Drive whatever makes you happy. The smell and sound of nitro makes me happy especially in a closed room weeee . I would love to see a 4 stroke that could pull the RPM like the 2 strokes that would be a revolutionary change to the nitro scene. My buddy wants me to get a electric for winter racing indoors, but im saving up for an xray xb8ec for next season so I told him I would have to wait. Being able to race year round would be nice though.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Cajun_NC

3 years eh? Interesting. How long has lipo been available? How much longer will Maxamps be available? I guess you have run batteries 300 or more cycles?

Just curious now. Thanks.

I have NimH with 200+ cycles on them that are still capable of holding about 90% of their original charge. 300...not yet, but I'm confident they'll make it to that. The key, as mention above, is to pair good batteries with a good charger. As far as a manufacturer being in business long enough to honor a warranty, well, can you tell me how long HPI or any other business for that matter will be around? That's the chance you take with anything you purchase.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 AM
ttoks

my calculations there were favorable to nitro, that was assuming a tank of fuel lasts 12 minutes and 55 minute run time from the electric, the only electric i have is a heli so theres no way i am biased towards electric, but that fact's are there, and it just got under my skin a little people say how much more electric is... i'm a fan of electrics performance thats for sure.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:35 AM
rhylsadar

ORIGINAL: evader driver

see with me electric just doesn't have the power nitro does i men i have a rustler that a friend gave me and it will run for 15 min on a 1500 battery pack but there is no compromise when it comes to power and the savage i am not saying no but i am saying you may like you may not. me personally i am a nitro guy for life
as i said earlier. i like all different kind of power sources (nitro, electric, gas). and as pure fun is the criteria everybody has its different preferences. so, one may like nitro or not.

however if one starts an unemotional argumentation about different pros and cons it should be based on facts and not wishes. so for instance 'power' is sure not a pro argument for a nitro savage over an electric savage. actually its just the other way round. but there are sure pro arguments for a nitro savage over an electric. for instance it is typically lighter and more adequate for insane jumping. also on a track the softer acceleration of a nitro truck makes it more controlable. and even if one has several battery packs ready and can recharge them while driving, it still takes some seconds more to change batteries than just refill the tank.

so 'liking' nitro is cool but if you start with arguments on a factual basis (what is not necessary imo) then you should stay with the pure technical facts.

bye
rhylsadar

Old 12-20-2007, 11:45 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I like nitro more than BL/lipo electric for the same reason I drive a Jeep and not a Land Cruiser or 4runner...

I'd rather be nickel-and-dimed to death than drop a TON of money all at once. Nitros and Jeeps snag you for small things frequently, and electrics and Toyotas will make you drop large amounts at long intervals.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
experimental_pilot

I still say Electric is for women. Real man drive Nitro! Vroom Vrrooom!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Cajun_NC

So since I have several of both, does that make me a man in touch with my feminine side or Canadian? [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM
rhylsadar

nitro is for 'real' man. have you ever driven 5th scale gas model? that makes vrooom i can tell you.

the small tiny thing behind is savage.

however. as i said: drive whatever makes you happy.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 12-20-2007, 02:21 PM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

hate to tell you guys.. brushless is NOT expensive.. you folks just don't do any research.....

prime example

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/muggy009.jpg

brushless muggy KB45-63 8L motor 2300kv .. can be run on 6-12-18-30 cell nimh or 2-10s lipoly 3500W "or roughly 4.5hp for those that dont understand wattage"
ESC is an OEM RC 100A constant 2-6lipo controller
batteries at the moment 12 IB3800s "will be 18 when the new cells come in" so right now im 33k rpm.. with the addition of the last 6 cells itll be almost 50k rpm
stock spur "46T" 12T pinion right now its about 1700w "2.2hp roughly" with the new cells it should put me over 2500W

TOTAL cost for the brushless gear was 168$ including the cost of the pinion "pinion is specialized 30$ because its carbon steel 6mm bore mod 1"

right now its a few mph faster than its nitro brother has almost twice the power and the acceleration is through the roof..

Total cost in project... "figuring the value of what i traded for the muggy roller as 200$" is about 450$ including batteries...

i choose electric because as i grow a bit older "im 28" the smoke seems to be causing migraines i ran nitro for sometime now i started in rc about 15 years ago... and ran nitro for around 10 years
nitro used to be where its at was cheap fast and electric just couldn't compare.. not anymore and its only leaning further towards electric as time passes new motor designs the cost of producing them going down

and for the record i have 2 cheap gp3300 radio shack packs that one has almost 350 cycles on it and the other has 230 right now the one with 350 cycles STILL gives me over 20 mins runtime in my brushless 10th scales and even my brushless MRC thunderking battery technology is coming along as well as motor technology

just thought id throw in my 2c here...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:52 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Fine Design kit a couple of weeks ago. I will be installing it sometime this winter, keeping the existing driveline components as is to really test the durability of them. It's going to be -20F to -30F tomorrow, so there's no rush to get it the truck built as I'm not a fan of freezing in the name of RC. When it's converted, I'll post plenty of pics and performance data.[8D]
Old 01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

LOUD NOISES!!

Sorry, had to get that out. Using an electric vs. a nitro is one thing, to each his own. Converting a loud ground pounding nitro monster into a quiet, smooth brushles purring kitten is another. I'm not gonna convert my 65 Mustang's cammed out V8 to a hybrid gas saving tree hugging car because it will save me money on gas. Nitro has an aura to it, brushless is just the new fad.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:31 PM
mmduc

nimh batteries do not have so called "memory" as nicds, so there is no reason to "cycle" a nimh battery, and from what ive learned, its really not a good practice to "cycle" nimh. nicd do have the "memory", so cycling them is very important.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: brett65

LOUD NOISES!!

Sorry, had to get that out. Using an electric vs. a nitro is one thing, to each his own. Converting a loud ground pounding nitro monster into a quiet, smooth brushles purring kitten is another. I'm not gonna convert my 65 Mustang's cammed out V8 to a hybrid gas saving tree hugging car because it will save me money on gas. Nitro has an aura to it, brushless is just the new fad.
I hate fads just as much as the next guy...but brushless is definitely not a fad.

There have been *many* advancements in the electrics arena whereas there have been basically none for nitro engines in some long time.

BTW, I don't own any brushless R/C's.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:24 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: brett65

LOUD NOISES!!

My "fad" motor will be putting out 2hp with full torque as soon as I hit the trigger. What's your nitro engine putting out and when? It will likely not even come close unless it is a race only mill. Brushless is certainly NOT a fad amigo. It is the future of RC....look around you. Nearly everything, including RTR, is brushless these days. Get used to it because it isn't going away. You will see brushed motor stuff slowly disappear though. In 5 years, brushed will be history-in my opinion.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: mmduc

nimh batteries do not have so called "memory" as nicds, so there is no reason to "cycle" a nimh battery, and from what ive learned, its really not a good practice to "cycle" nimh. nicd do have the "memory", so cycling them is very important.
You're right. There's no need or reason to cycle a NIMH battery.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 AM
black mamba

For those that still refuse to admit electric is in the midst of a huge comeback, feast your weary hearts on this news I got from BigSquid's site. The writing is on the wall folks, get used to it.

"Big Brushless news from Team Novak!Posted On January 22nd, 2008 by Brian in brushless, Novak In what I would pretty much consider a “Stop The Presses!†moment today, Team Novak dropped me a press release with talks of conversion kits for many popular NITRO buggies to convert them to brushless! Now I know what you are thinking… ok.. so they probably made a kit for one OFNA, the one that came out that one week that had a Tuesday in it..(yea they come that often, come on it’s funny cuz it’s true!). But NO! The Novak people mean business! Check this list: Associated RC-8, CEN Matrix, Hot Bodies Lightning, Kyosho Inferno, Mugen MBX5, X-Ray XB8, OFNA 9.5/Ultra, OFNA Hyper 8, OFNA Hyper 7!!!!
WOW! Is there a major player not covered there?! If I can have a solid buggy, that can take a true basher beating, and is just as fast or faster… Sign me up! How big is that news?

To help complete the conversion, Team Novak is releasing six Mod 1 Steel Pinion Gears for 5mm Shafts! My guess is you are going to need these to handle all that weight and power. To top it off, Novak is offering a HV Brushless Motor 5mm upgrade kit to equip your existing 4.5 and 6.5 HV High-Voltage Brushless motor with a 5mm output shaft! That should really help the strength!"
Old 01-30-2008, 03:43 AM
rhylsadar

old news dude [8D]
the novak guy also talked about a new novak controller able to handle 6s lipos.
we will see what happens. it only gets interesting when it is really available.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
SportsFans

This is what I want my Savage to sound like....hehe. To eaches own!! listen to the hole video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kcgrw_lYZ4
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Vigilante212

I gotta atmit this sounds so sexy

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZmKcK26ZWY&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZmKcK26ZWY&feature=related[/link]
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 PM
SportsFans

gota lov tht 4 stroke!!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:12 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why they even make NiCd batts I dont know, I'm replacing the second NiCd hump pack on my T-maxx now... Just after I got it running too This truck just keeps getting better and better[&o]