Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hooked********

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hooked********

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 02:36 AM
fastgrafix2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heres a before

here s a before shot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	54884_27443.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	33246  
Old 02-13-2003, 02:36 AM
fastgrafix2

Default heres a before

here s a before shot

Name:	54885_27443.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	33245  
Old 02-13-2003, 02:39 AM
fastgrafix2

Default sorry

sorry about the double pic above hit the button twice i guess
anyway here is a pic of the stuff i just bought wow like 100.00
this is not cheap to try. everythning is new any way
let me know what you think?

Name:	54888_27443.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	33247  
Old 02-13-2003, 02:42 AM
fastgrafix2

Default oh yeah

can anyone tell me how to make a pic for the side on the left for under your name? thanks and here's a better view of the plane from the side. did i do a good job

Name:	54890_27443.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	33248  
Old 02-13-2003, 03:27 AM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Default Looking good!

For the avatar(small pic under yer name) you set that up in your profile, click the link at the top of the page and take it from there.

I really liked my Kadet, had 2 of them over the years actually. The version that Sig sells nowadays is the Kadet MK II and is a redesign of the original, which is what you have BTW. They added ailerons and swept the vertical tail back, did away with the rounded abs plastic wingtips, none of those changes really made it a better flyer. They also did away with the clear widshield and it's now all carved from wood blocks, it's stronger but a lot more work to build. They also added aluminum main gear but I really liked the wire gear better

The airplane is VERY easy to fly but with a .40 in the nose it has a tendancy to need a lot of trimming because it will climb constantly with more than half throttle applied. This is actually built into the design and the prevailing theory at the time in 1980 was that if you had altitude and got in trouble you could simply throttle back and let go of the sticks and the model would right itself and return to straight and level. In all honesty I think the only way that would really work is if you had the plane at a very high altitude in the first place. Since it would be so high and hard to see it would tend to produce the very situation that the the designed in features were suppossed to help correct, namely over controlling the model usually due to disorientation.

I have found that most people can turn the plane over to an instructor who will look the plane over for warps, proper balance and general set up points and then if all is well he will test fly it, trim it out and then allow the student to give it a go. This whole process takes less than an hour if the instructor has some experience. Most of the people I have helped out took 3-4 flights to get the hang of it. After that it's a matter of smoothing out the bad habits and honing their abilities.

The plane looks great and the color scheme should be pretty visible in the air at a distance, which will help a lot for your learning curve.

Have fun!
Old 02-13-2003, 05:11 AM
G Watson

Default Hooked

I agree with Scott. Look at all the people that are sending posts right here to help you get into the air with the minimum of problems.

It can be done, and there a lot of people out there to help.

Go for it !!
Old 02-13-2003, 07:50 AM
fastgrafix2

Default yes i see

i think i will like it. you said the new kadets have alirons (think thats how you spelled it. The guy at the LHS said i could build them and add them to the plane any clue?
any one here from pgh or fly near by pgh
thanks for the comps on the plane. i will be
adding decals later but i think the blue looks nicer and be seen better than the black....
Old 02-13-2003, 07:51 AM
fastgrafix2

Default Hooked********

i tryed to make one (the avatar) said it was to big......howany clue to change
Old 02-13-2003, 11:48 AM
fastgrafix2

Default Hooked********

i got another Q. what is better am radio or a fm radio
i have a few leads and wanted some expertly advice
let me know
Old 02-13-2003, 02:56 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Default Kadet stuff!

The ailerons are the control surfaces that are located on the trailing edge of the wing. Each moves in opposite directions when the stick is moved, resulting in the airplane rolling around the longitudinal axis. These are used to turn the airplane under most circumstances.

The newer Kadet has them and the one you have doesn't. Don't worry though because the Kadet design doesn't really need them to fly well. The rudder on the old design was used for turning the airplane and worked fine. The rudder "yaws" the airplane from side to side and on designs like the Kadet, high mounted wings with a lot of dihedral(the bend of the wings raising the tips higher than the center) which produces the turn. It isn't as smooth of a turn as one produced by ailerons but for the Kadet it works great.

In short don't bother with trying to build them since the gains aren't worth it, the Kadet flies fine on just the rudder.

FM is the way to go when buying a radio. The 4 and six channel Futaba's are reasonable and cost about $140-$210 depending on which model you decide to buy. The HiTec flash series is pretty good for the money too.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:03 PM
fastgrafix2

Default just saying thanks

just saying thanks for the info on the radio
and the arlirons. i am just going to leave the plane alone as far as the wings and alirons but as far as look......got to add some dam good graphics, thank god my dad does auto detailing and pin-striping. decals are going to be free. they are made from vynil
tape on a cuttung plotter. will it be ok to do this as the LHS said that the stuff that covers the plane is simular. but it was lighter
is it really going to matter if i make the #'s and all from this way?
thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Heath

Default Hooked********

Won't matter at all. In fact, many people pay to have these custom made! If you have the equipment, consider yourself lucky!

I would recommend that you go with some wide (4"+) stripes spaced at least as far apart on the bottom of the wings. It makes the top of the wing easily distinguishable from the bottom when the plane is far off, which is a life saver while learning.

Just a suggestion. Sounds like you're really on the right track.

Good luck,
Heath
Old 02-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

Default Avatar

Put the photo you want into a photo editor and resize the photo.
It can't be bigger than 100 X 100 or 8K.

Tim
Old 02-13-2003, 03:37 PM
fastgrafix2

Default avatar

thanks 100 x 100 or 8k got it any photo prog?
Old 02-13-2003, 03:46 PM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

Default Hooked********

Yes, I think most any photo prog. should work to resize a photo.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:28 PM
fastgrafix2

Default Hooked********

thanks i use corel
Old 02-14-2003, 05:27 AM
nchrome

Default Re: i am taking everyones advice

Originally posted by fastgrafix2
ok ok ok enough of the warnings.lol
i am taking everyones advice,
i do not wantto wreck it and it just seams as though everyone is being pushy, do this do that dont do this,
its cool everyone is worried and i do apprec the warnings
and all and beleive me, i dont need the trouble nor the wreckage either.when does everyone fly. is there a software i can get to help in the meain time?
i has a flight sim but thats to complicated for me to understand
i need to learn hands on, trile and error.....sorta.............lol
When you first learned to drive did you just get in a car and drive or did you learn from your dad and a driving instructer If the plane manages to get away from you and realy hurts someone what you gona do rules are rules is that what you will tell the judge in court. Come on and use some comen sence and give this hobby a chance to gain a good rep for others to learn from. After you learn to fly SAFLEY you'll want to teach others and then you'll know why we are saying what we are saying.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:42 PM
rich141

Default ins

fast
there are a lot more reason's for geting an instructor.thy can give you tip's you cant get any other way
such as when the plne is coming at you the alron contorll
must be reverst.and teching you how to tune your engine.so not to burn it up on the fist flight.and getting it to run reliably threw it.
another reason making sure you radio and plane is set up right.all the control's are working in the right function's.
a instructor usaly dose not fly your plane solely.
there is a buddy box that conect's 2 radio's togather so when the newbei get's confused and in troble and he "will"the instructor relase's his switch take's cotroll and put's the plane back on track.
it take's a bit of flying time to learn hand eye cordination and the right stick in put. you still can't get from a flight simuater.also there is a lot of funn being with a bunch of guy's at the filed.men playing with there toy's.
I think you have got the bug. :stupid:so get started right.it's no funn seeing your fist plane hiting the fence at the end of the run way on your madine flight.
happy flying Rich galveston Tx