Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Pershing Paint jobs

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pershing Paint jobs

Greetings Pattoncommander:

You have an enviable job there sir. The detail errors on the HL tanks have been well documented and I, as do others, have suspected that they are due to some recognition by HL that they must differentiate their product from the very similar Tamiya product in order to avoid confusion and perhaps litigation.

I have some links for you showing what can be done to correct and enhance the existing "Snow Leopard" into a more accurate operating model.

http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...p?threadid=243
http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...p?threadid=873
http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...?threadid=1820 (See page 2 for track photos)

Although the site is in German, the site can be translated marginally well with a free online translator. Try Worldlingo, or Stern often suggests [link=http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&search=]Leo[/link].
Old 12-31-2006, 10:19 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pershing Paint jobs

Hi again,

I'll check out the sites, but having worked on M-26, 46 and 47's, I pretty much know what to do. ( I also speak German) Mainly. getting all the junk like boxes, helmets etc off the back deck, installing fender braces, periscopes and guards and modifying some things for the way we saw them in Korea. I have some periscope guards on the way for my 1/16 tanks as well as my 1/6 scale Stuart. Didn't have much to do with M-26s in Germany, as I got tere in '59. By then, they had gone to M-47s and then in 54-55, the "fat pig" 48's. I always hated the 48s and disliked the M-60 even more, exccept for the gun, RF and fire control, which were fantasic. I tested the M-60 in (then) Camp irwin, CA. The tracks on the Pershing are pretty much OK from my standpoint, as I rarely saw the old single pin stuff except on some Jarhead 2nd Div Marine tanks, and the double pin chevrons were much better, allowed more speed and were not as noisy, albeit a bit heavier to work with. I just put some photos on some of my work on the site....My M-45, a cutaway Pershing and a HL M-41. Also put in a Tamiya M-26 ARV 1/35 scale. The Walker Bulldog took a lot of work, redoing the drivers idiotic design periscopes and lowering the pioneer rack about 75%. Basically, it is pretty accurate, and as with the mediums, I drove a 41 for about a year and loved that little tank. I think the Army was stupid to scrap it for the ill fated Sheridan. The Argentine Army has the M-41A5 fitted with a Cummins diesel and 90mm Cockrell gun and they have fitted it with side armored skirts. It looks nice and apparently still does a good job. Looks a bit like a Centurian. I just disliked the 76mm gun on the 41. I could stick my head out of the hatch all day with a 90, but that 76 had a vicious snap that would take your head off. Lots of guys had popped eardrums due to that gun. For some reason, not so bad on the Sherman, but the Bulldogs 76 was hyper velocity and the shell casings were a bit longer and slower to handle. One bad thing was no power elevation/depression for the gun. like the 26 and 46, power traverse but muscle power for the gunners elevation.

You seem to be "in the know" on tanks. What's your tank experience?

Happy New Year.

Bill