Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

3W vs. DA

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:15 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3W vs. DA

I have a 3W engine. A 3W 70. One of the best running engines I have. Well I just bought a DA 100. Why? cause all I have heard is 3W is junk. Doesnt matter the reason, but that is what I have read several times. I have never read anything bad about DA. Funny how it is always the owners fault that a 3W doesnt run, but amazingly everyone that has a DA theirs runs perfectly. If it doesnt run right, they call DA and they get it to run perfectly. Why cant you just do that with 3W. Cause they aint built to the standards that a DA is. I cant speak for ZDZ, but again I have heard nothing bad. "I heard this" and " I heard that" is not always right. In fact most of the time it is just a one time thing. But 1000 3W haters cant all be wrong. Anyway, If it was me, since all the engines are within $50 bucks of each other and within 1 lb. I would go for the one with the best customer service. That would be a DA 50-R. good luck with your decision.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:02 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

CDignition,

I'm sure that Gene at Troy Built will apprectiate you putting his name out in this forum. How about if you get all the 3W engine owners that are unsatisfied to post their opinions here instead of you mouthing off about what you heard someone else say. If you don't own a 3W what gives you the right to comment. Just another biased, uninformed opinion from someone who lives through others it seems. Take your source and shove it I say.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think it's necessary to own a Yugo to know that it's well.....a Yugo...
Old 11-15-2004, 02:11 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Diablo,

Get in line with the other lemmings and walk over that cliff. God forbid you should make an informed decision based on personal knowledge and experience.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
jimo811
My Feedback: (17)

I've seen just as many DA's quit in midair as I have 3W's. I have owned 2 3W's and both were and still are awesome running, starting, transitioning engines that have never given a minutes problem. Would I own a DA....sure. Especially the DA50. Would I trade my 3W150TS for a DA....probably not. It is a ford/Chevy argument all the way. I haven't had to have a 3W serviced as of yet, but I am able to get questions answered on the phone at any moment I need it. I think that it's best not to force your opinion down someones throat, because after all, it's just an opinion. I pay for my engines and have chosen 3W's with great results. Good luck on your choice.

Jim Underwood
Old 11-16-2004, 07:32 AM
OSilfa
My Feedback: (2)

I own of:

3w24-3w42-3w75ITS-3w100QS and for my next project 3w200ts

I'm very happy with them,smooth and powerful.[&:]

Oscar Silfa
Old 11-16-2004, 08:29 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

C'mon guys!!! Hold your tones down!!! You all are gonna make it a engine war!!! I'ma tell you all this!!!! If I wasn't flying a 3W, I'd be flying a DA. I've owned 3 3W's, all twins, 78, 100 SS and the new 106SS!!! Out of the bunch, the 106 has given me the most troubles. I don't go trashing a manufacture because they are crap, or that they don't run right!! It's always user related, or something, tho.... Been there and done that!!!

My problem with my 106 is carb. related. It just don't pump fuel to the motor. I think it is a diaphram problem... I have the carb off my 100 on my 106, and it runs FLAWLESS!!!!! What does that say??? So what if the 3W's weigh more than the DA's?? I really don't give a flip!! I run what I run because I like what I purchased from the get go!! So, until DA starts mailing me motors, I'm going to be loyal to the 3W camp!!! I'm NOT bashing the DA, it is a sharp looking motor, I just happen to like not flipping the prop more than 10 times to get it started!!!

I've seen most all problems listed above, but not crank issues with the 3W. I did see one with a DA at the Masters in 2001. Other than that, I've not seen alot of issues with either motor!!! Just typical issues tho, like not tuned right....

Just my humble opinion.

Just remember, we all are here to help fellow modelers out, and provide POSITIVE feedback! This is only a hobby, and some of us take it WAY too seriously!!!!

Chris~
Old 11-16-2004, 09:02 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few times now I've noted members suggesting the 3W's weigh more than DA's. This maybe true of the 50cc class and the older 100/150's. The current generation DA-100 3W-100/106 weigh exactly the same in the several examples I have owned and the 3W-150's weigh in a little lighter than the current DA-150, if memory serves me were talking 2-3ozs., BIG deal...

Either manufacturer makes a very good product IMO...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:42 AM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

I personally fly 3W engines. I haven't owned any DA engines, however almost every one of my flying buddies owns a DA. I have helped people tune 3W, DA, ZDZ, Brison, and Zenoah gas engines. I won't go into details about all of them, however I will say that DA and 3W engines are both good engines, but I like 3W better. I prefer the 3W engines because they are more powerful, have a MUCH longer product line, and they have more experience. For example, DA currently has 3 gas engines on the market. In several cases, 3W has 2 or 3 variations on the same size engine.

My first gas engine was a 3W, and any time I had a question about it, Cactus Aviation answered my questions about it.

Here's an example of the power difference. I've got a 5 year old 41 pound Carden 40% Edge with a 3W 150. The previous owner was rough with it, so it weighs a little more than a new one. I did a vertical drag race with a friend and his 38 pound DA powered Carden Edge. I held my own with him, and maybe pulled slightly. Both of us run the same prop, same oil, same grade gas, ect. Now, which one sounds like it has more power?

BTW, I've also seen just as many DA 150's flame out as I've seen 3W 150's. If the engine is maintained properly, then it all comes down to tuning.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Good case in point, Jack!!! I also did a VERT. drag race with my A/W 33% ARF(Almost Ready to Fold) when I had it. It had the SS 100 in it with a Beila 28x10 on Pefa's. The A/W weighed near 28#. A friend has a TBM 260 35% kit thst weighed 23#. Had a old style 100 with a P-tip 27x10. Needless to say, I out dragged him both VERT and flat line!!! But they are both 3W's!!!!

And I know the person of whom you are referring to!! Darren Eaton!! Good friend of mine!!! And yes, he is rough on things!!

Comment to thread starter......

Buy what you wish!!!! You are the one who has to live with the decision!!! Make it a good one!!!

Chris~
Old 11-17-2004, 03:57 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Chris, thats awesome that you and Darren are good friends! How have you two been doing?