Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

New Carden Yak.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:12 PM
PJFaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Carden Yak.

Ive built several Carden kits and they are very easy to build. I actually built one of their 30% Extras's about nine years ago I think, and it was the second kit I ever built. Very Straight forward no surprises, and the quality of the kit is second to none. But I will say its time consuming. You have got to get used to sanding, but the end result is fantastic. Im building my second 40% Extra now, and the Yak will be next, but Im sure the list will be long. The Yak looks really nice. I think that the comp-arf one is ugly, but then again many people dont. Im sure they all fly well, and perform very close as well. The choice is do you want to build or not? The reason I choose to buld is, I know what went in it. I know the quality of every joint. I know the geometry of every linkage and hinge line is correct, and I have pride in my work when its done. Its nice these days that there are choices in this hobby. its filled with opinions and choices, and I guess we can all say to each is one.

Once again nice work on the part of Dennis Gergits and carden aircraft.

Pete
Old 02-14-2005, 05:24 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I find that building a Carden is not hard, in fact, it is one of the more rewarding experiences there is. If you like to build, there is not a better kit out there and the finished product is absolutely amazing. You do not need a pro builder, nor do you need to be one yourself. If you have excellent mechanical aptitude, patience, some decent tools and at least a few good smaller kits under your belt you are competent enough to build one of these birds. What ever happened to no risk - no reward?? Personally I never start something I don't intend to finish.

I built up 2 Aerotech extra kits and one Columbo Extra kit both were flawless and flew well. My fourth kit, I took the plunge and built a Carden CAP from a broken-into box I bought from a guy in Vegas. There were only a few minor missing items. I replaced most at the LHS and Dennis replaced the rest for me n/c! It took me one month several hours per day and it was done. I was at a field in Florida visiting and someone made me an offer I could not refuse, I sold it right there on site. The next day I was looking for my next Carden Kit!

I have also "restored" 3 used Carden aircraft, 2 extras and one Cap - recovered or otherwise returned them to like new condition and sold them as ARCs to those who wanted a Carden to finish but did not want to build it themselves.

You learn a lot about yourself during a build, and yes, cursing is included at times. It builds character. Quite frankly, there is nothing more rewarding on this planet that to show off something as awesome as one of these planes.. and be able to say you built it yourself from a pile of sticks and foam. Anyone can go get an ARF or ARC. To put your own sweat and tears (and sometimes blood) into one of these shows a person has the tenacity to achieve.

If someone burns out on building a plane I'de say there are other issues going on in one's life!
I can think of lot more expensive things to do with my time than building up a Carden!!
DP
Old 02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Dp
The Extra 260 is just a dog compared to the Yak.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:39 PM
OnTheEdge

Looks great! I'm on the list for one from the first batch [sm=thumbup.gif]. Still a ways off I'd imagine.

Jim, from the photo it looks like there are canisters in there. Was the install pretty straight forward?

.......Mark
Old 02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: T. Bob

Hey Dp
The Extra 260 is just a dog compared to the Yak.

Really ... Interesting. God YAKs are butt ugly, although the Carden Yak looks better than most.
McConville said the 260 was right on and one of the better planes he's flown.. so if he can say that, the 260 can't be all THAT bad.

I have heard the Yak is the next up and coming airframe... just wish it looked better.

DP
Old 02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yaks are an aquired taste, like beer I really fell in love with mine once I flew it
Old 02-14-2005, 06:50 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

LOL...that's the best analogy i've heard yet....but I think it's true! The first couple of Yaks I saw, I couldn't believe anyone would buy one cause they were just so ugly.
Now...a Yak is next on my list of planes I want to build. Go figure!

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Yaks are an aquired taste, like beer I really fell in love with mine once I flew it
Old 02-14-2005, 07:49 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Mokken, the 54 doesn't have full wheel pants. I do like the full wheel pants.

Albert Santiago
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68473.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	229495  
Old 02-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Agree... About the YAK John... I love my 2.6...

As far as Cardens go I guess I've been spoiled. My flying buddies and myself all fly giant scale and one of my friends has the 40% Extra, 35% Extra, 40% Lanier Sukhoi (have the lastest IMAA magazine, the Waco on the front cover belongs to him) all built by a builder in Ohio and covered by another guy just around the corner and after seeing them up close and flying them I would never attempt to build or cover one as I could not duplicate the effort. As with anything in this hobby most things are an acquired taste, planes, engines, servos, radios, you name it everyone has an opinion. But if I was going to ever build a Carden I would pay someone else to build it or just buy a Comp-ARF... I like the quality and looks of my airplanes, and a professionally built Carden is the only way to go.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Falcon_az
My Feedback: (25)

I'm tackling a Carden build at this time, Extra 40%. It isn't so much an issue the kit is hard to build, it really isn't, the issue is the amount of time involved.
Oh... it ain't cheap either... the kit price is a drop in the bucket (about a quarter of the total price). $1100 kit, $1500 engine, $1100 servos, $1100 hardware, prop, spinner, covering, electronics, ect. The conservative estimates for a builder are about a $1000 to build it and about a $1000 to cover and paint it.
I bounced back between the build directions on the web and the directions Dennis supplies. I'm scratching my head over the directions that came with the kit... very brief, minimal. H9 had more information in their Sukhoi booklet then comes with the Carden kits and the Suk was a $550 ARF (Odessa Hobbies, they are sold out).
The one item I hope Dennis 're-visits' is the instructions, although, after this first one, with the notes and pictures I made, the instructions are probably fine. Dennis is available by phone and is very nice to talk with about anything to help you get the kit built.
Everyone will have different challenges... by far... my greatest challenge was getting the cowl mounted and aligned right. Good grief... you would think about an hour or so to do it. It took me all day to get it right, yep, easily 8 hours (and it still isn't just perfect).
Other items to consider besides the time investment are building space, having a level, flat, building bench, and a very patient family. I learned a lot of things building my first Carden and I think the next one will be a faster build because of it. However, I still think it'll take me well over a 100 hours to build, cover, paint, and install the hardware.
There is no question... if your not into building you should consider having it built. I'm not an experienced pilot, but I dare say you'll not find anything that will fly like these Cardens. I have a 40% Edge too which flies great, but the Extra flies like nothing I have experienced, that is why I had to have one.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:42 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Hi T. Bob and all. Thought I'd share some video of my new Carden "Dog" with you if you havent seen it yet:

http://www.valkyriesrc.com/home.htm

It's new so I guess its still a puppy I wonder what a Yak will do that this wont?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 AM
famousdave

Very nice Mike.. suddenly I feel pretty inadaquate after watching that vid. Thanks a lot!. If I had room in my hangar (or on the bench!) , it would be the 260 for sure... that is one nice looking bird. I love the lines.

Aren't you the only one with a 260 right now?? How could someone say one is better than the other unless they have personally flown both?
DP
Old 02-15-2005, 10:28 AM
MMcConville

That is true DP. Mine is the only prototype. I believe Carden is working on the first run right now though, and the first kits should be shipping really soon. I know the first and possibly second runs are sold out already.

I hope to get to do a back to back sometime soon with the 260 and the Yak. Dennis asked that I fly Franks Yak and he fly my 260 so he can compare notes. I lo=ike the look of the Yak, but in all honesty its going to be pretty hard pressed to outperform the new 260.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Marcelo Assis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Mike,
Have you seen the 40% YAK 54 from Aerotech RC flying?
What do you think about this model?
Regards,
Marcelo
Old 02-15-2005, 11:39 AM
MMcConville

Hi Marcelo, No I have not seen the Aerotech Yak 54.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Marcelo Assis
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Mike.
Marcelo
Old 02-15-2005, 12:20 PM
rjklein
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,
I looked all over that web page and was not able to locate the clip. Could you send it to me, or better yet tell me where to look. I am sure it is bigger than day on the front page.

Rob Klein,
[email protected]
Old 02-15-2005, 01:14 PM
MMcConville

I just got a note from the club hosting the video that they had to pull it from their site because of the bandwidth it took up. I am working with them and RCU to get the video hosted on RCU's video server. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:15 PM
MMcConville

BTW, Hi Rob. Good to see you in here! You should come over to central Il and fly with us sometime.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Kevgofly
My Feedback: (2)

Carden's are not hard to build. I'm not a pro builder. I build in my spare time, in a one car garage, with a minimum of expensive equipment, it's just a matter of what a guy wants to do. I like my Carden and my Comp Arf, but they are apple and oranges. As for the YAK, I love it, definitely next winters project. The 260 is really nice also, I'm just partial to Russian airplanes (function over form). One summer vacation as my dad and I were walking the flightline at Oshkosh, (I was maybe 9) I saw a Pietenpol and said, "wow dad, that's and ugly airplane", to which he replied, "son, there's no such thing as an ugly airplane, some just aren't as pretty as others".

Here are some not "proffesionally built" Cardens.

Kev
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23278.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	229771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11710.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	229772  
Old 02-15-2005, 01:22 PM
famousdave

Hey I agree on the Pietenpol.... that was the first plane I learned to fly on when I was a kid... I think it was made by house of balsa and had a .25 engine on it! It was a very forgiving flyer, hence the use as a trainer!

DP
Old 02-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Flyfalcons

Kevin, you got a comp-arf? The Carden Yak is definitely one of the better looking Yaks out there.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Kevgofly
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Ryan, you coming home soon. Comp Arf? Never heard of em' (big grin). Hope all is well with you, we sure miss having you around.

Kev
Old 02-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Flyfalcons

Hey Kevin, I would like to come back soon if I can find the right job. I do miss flying my Extra out here.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:29 PM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Mike, Rob came over and flew electrics with us in the hanger up at Rantoul. He might have even flew his Funtana 90 that day. I am hoping the boys can make it over and do some real outdoor flying sometime soon.

Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.