Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fliton Edge 540 Mini

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:14 PM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fliton Edge 540 Mini

How is the turtledeck done, is it covered stringers or plastic like the Hyperion models.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:28 PM
TManiaci
My Feedback: (6)

Tashley,

Turtledeck is balsa sheeted light balsa stringers.

Have the Landing Gear reinforcements in. Turned out real nice. Made a pair of light ply panels, and sandwiched the Landing Gear pads, tied into the sidewalls and tabs into the bulkhead. Tied into the lower motor struts. The ply panels had to be two-piece to get them in there. Small Balsa filler to tie them together and block into the back of the bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76228.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	387155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54832.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	387156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97503.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	387157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90929.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	387158  
Old 01-14-2006, 08:52 AM
tashley

I have to have one of these. It seems that Fliton will be a force to be rekonend with in small electrics. To me at least, their stuff is head and shoulders above the compettition.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:08 PM
TManiaci

I agree Tom, this is the most beautiful Mini I have seen. Well built and quality all around.

So, I have her finished (almost). Hated the screw-down hatch, too much trouble when changing batteries. So, I had some nuclear magnets, and put in a thin 1/32" x 1/2" beam to hold on the fuse side and positioned one on the hatch so it pulls it shut real tight. It takes two hands to snap it off, these magnets are incredibly strong. It makes a loud SNAP when you slip it on and drop the back in.

Put in a 1/32" ply panel with 0.014 CF sheeting lamination under the frame cross-menbers. A velcro wrap and velcro floor hold the batteries very snug, and I can push the batteries way up into the nose for balance as necessary.

Put in another 1/32" ply panel rear to velcro the JR 610UL Rx in. Used micro-wire extensions on all the servos.

Also added some vent holes in the cowl underside for good measure. I'm gonna be pushing this little 2212/20 real hard, so I want plenty of airflow.

With all this effort, and a few extra grams from the magnets, velcro, tailwheel and cross-members for hardware mounting pushed the AUW to exactly 20.0 oz's with the 3S 1500 mAH lipo. With the lipo pushed as far in as possible up front, it's still a tad tailheavy at just a bit over 3" from LE. If I put in the 3S 2100 mAH I can get it forward to the front of the balance range (2.75 in), but pushes AUW to 21 oz's. Will probably fly that first to trim and feel her out. The lightening efforts in the front end with the strut mount has made it light in front, even with the tiny 4.7 gram Dymond D47 servos in back.

Too bad my bird is a fat one. If I had been fortunate enough to get a light airframe (book spec) then my AUW would be ~17.8 oz's. Bummer for me...

Now I have only one thing left... replace a stripped servo. The rudder must have been slammed when I wasn't looking, it's lost two teeth on the final drive in the gearbox. Bummer. No spares on hand, so I'll have to get some before I can maiden.

Name:	Wt59203.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	387546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17377.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	387547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39196.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	387548  
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 AM
TeamFutaba02
My Feedback: (1)

The plane looks awesome!! A friend picked up the new mini Extra today and they both look like great little planes. Cant wait to fly it. The gear might need some reinforcing though. Andrew Jesky pulled the gear out today when a battery went dead in a hover. Didnt hit too hard but busted the gear out.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:32 AM
TManiaci

Yea, I think my beef-up is going to take abuse real well (detailed in post 27) I can't even move the gear tweeking real hard on it. Probably tear the whole front end off or break the gear now if I hit real hard. Can't wait to fly it...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:07 AM
T Erickson

A little cf on the gear where it leaves the fuse is in order. Mine failed on the first harrier landing. This thing is pure joy at 20.5 oz, should be amazing at anything less. Get a picture with the wheel pants right away, they shatter easily. Only ***** I've got is the fixed wing, but with a bit of patience, it could be removable. May have to try the extra, too. T.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 AM
tashley

Nice looking work T, I especially like the vent holes on the bottom of the cowl. Very well done indeed.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 PM
TManiaci

T Erickson,

What do you mean when you said "A little cf on the gear where it leaves the fuse is in order. Mine failed on the first harrier landing." Did the landing gear itself break?

I really don't mind the fixed wing. On my Mini Funtana, I never find a need to take it off. Driving an SUV, plenty of room for these little birds to keep their wings all the time.

I need to get some outdoor shots in good light still. Stopped off at Dymond yesterday, they have repair kits for the little D47 servos, so I have repaired the stripped servo with no problems. Dinkey little gears! She's now ready for a maiden. Hope to get a break in the weather this Saturday, been windy practically every day for weeks.

While at Dymond, I discovered another small servo that really got me excited. They have a [link=http://www.rc-dymond.com/Radio_Electronics/servo.htm]D60 SubMicro[/link] that weighs the same as an HS-55, is half the thickness and makes 24 in-oz torque at 0.12 sec/60º on 4.8 volts. Now that's cool! The quality is amazing on these German made toys. These servos are apparently huge in Europe under another name. Obviously, these are private labeled for Dymond, but I understand they have the USA import exclusive. Like the sucker I am, I bought four... like I need more servos... I must have 7-8 HS-55's in a box already.

Name:	Vt57777.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	390091  
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 PM
TManiaci

Thanks Tom,

I use the bullet shaped stone grinder tip on the Dremel to vent and cut cowls. It pierces nicely and gives you great control over the cut, leaves nice clean edges. Just have to use the Exacto to trim the fuzzys that remain on the inside edge.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
T Erickson

Tmaniaci,
Yeah, the gear itself splayed out and cracked, easy fix, just thought you might want to do it in advance. I ran 1/2" strips of 1/8" liteply along bottom of mounting plate from firewall to first former, so fuse held up fine. I've had Dymond 60s on my verminbelle for several years, on floats last year, and nary a problem. The stock arms are short, though, and I've never found longer ones that fit. T.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:34 PM
TManiaci

Well, got to maiden her today. Man, this is a nice little flier. Smoooooooth and easy. Had some range issues with her, messed with it for 30 minutes till we could get a good check. The culprit was likely the magnet latch for the hatch. Moved the anntenna and servo leads away from the magnets to get it to check. Still scary, it was doing all kinds of stupid stuff on the first check.

Flight was perfect after some pretty significant trimming. Lots of down and right aileron. I checked lateral balance, and it is not very good, but I don't want to add weight (yet). This bird flies real nice slow, and seems to stall level. Rolls are quick on low rates, and very fast on max delections. Landing is the best part. This plane lands like a dream. It is so stable in slow flight, it settles in beautifully and kisses the runway like a butterfly with sore feet.

We ran 4 batteries thru it. Having an issue with the Phoenix ESC right now. I am sure I set the 9V cutoff, but at full throttle it surges and power falls off, even with a battery capable of 25 amps continuos. I'm propped for ~20 amps WOT. With that, no hovering attempts at all. Conditions were perfect, dead still and clear, just a little chilly. Inverted needed a good bit of down, but I am balanced in the book range. KE flight is pretty difficult, lots of coupling there. Down and aileron mixing to get it straight. Needed to carry some speed to get it solid.

Snaps are sweet on low rates, very controlled and exit are so smooth. This plane flys WAY better than my Mini Funtana. Harrier seesm to be pretty solid, but I was up high so it was a little difficult to see to make small corrections and get it real solid. The plane is on rails in level flight, solid and stable. Obviously, this is an amazing plane for pattern IMAC flying for sure. We'll get a little more daring with 3D when we have our ESC issue resolved.

All I can say is WOW... this is a keeper bigtime.

Name:	Hf98742.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	392332  
Old 01-21-2006, 08:41 PM
looop

hey, i was interested in the fliton edge 540 which looks really great. have you flown one and do you like yours

thanks tom
Old 01-21-2006, 09:04 PM
TManiaci

See the previous post. YES, it flies better than anything I have seen in the Mini category.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

Very nice pic Tman, looks like a 40% for a second! Maybe put some little aluminum tubing pieces out the bottom of the cowl and take some more pics
Old 01-21-2006, 11:11 PM
tashley

I love the way the Edge and Extra look. Just beautiful. I have to get one, it's just a matter of deciding which one.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:51 PM
TManiaci

Thanks Trog, I put my new 7.1 megapixle digital on a mini tripod to get some forced perspective shots. Some of the high-res shots are worthy of framing. Good idea on the pipes... I'm rooting around trying to find something suitable to simulate with, LOL. That is the dry lakebed we fly off of. BIG open space, like 40-50 acres of nothing but smooth dead-flat hard-pack dirt.

Yea Tashley, I am seriously considering retiring my Mini Funtana to get the Fliton Extra in the air. Running big power in that one, AXI 2808/24 and Phoenix 35. Stong is understated, with 300 watts the Extra would be so ballistic. How much fun is that? Might be a bit heavy, but it would surely come in a couple ounces below the MF.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I gotta rave about the flying on the Edge some more. This plane flys so much bigger than it is. Feels like my F90 in many ways when it's on low rates. If you are considering an Fliton Edge or Extra... what are you waiting for! Go fot it... you won't regret it.

Name:	Ki17932.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	392696  
Old 01-22-2006, 01:29 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

T-man awesome job! What was the final weight? I'm sure you will get each issure resolved. That thing looks great! I can't wait to get one. Your build is super clean!
Hope your knee is starting to calm down!

Joe
Old 01-22-2006, 01:48 PM
TManiaci

Thanks Joe,

She came in a portly 20 oz even. It could have been under 18 oz's if the kit had been what the spec's say. All the dieting I put this thing thru kept the weight down, but it could have been much better. Still a little tail heavy. Checked balanace at the feild before takeoff (fingers), dead in the center of the spec. Still, with that, needed lots of down to trim and inverted required a good bit of down to fly level. But it sure harriers nice like that. I am so used to planes that wing-rock in the harrier... this is my first plane that doesn't do that, nice!
Old 01-22-2006, 02:42 PM
T Erickson

Tman,
Suprised to hear your KE comments, I thought this plane really shines at it. My CG is on the aileron servos, and coupling is minimal. Flies hands off inverted, yet still stable in "normal" flight/landing. That spinner looks pretty cool, how much it weigh? May have to get one. T.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:22 PM
looop

Do you know where i can find a video of the Fliton edge 540 or can you post one thanks

tom
Old 01-28-2006, 10:03 AM
powrplay

The more I read this post.....grrrr! I can't seem to get my Fliton Edge built fast enough!!! Plus a good chance of rain today so i'm back down to a crawl. Great info and pictures on this post everyone I'm already flying a Fun World from World Models and it's a joy to fly.

Since I'm still fairly new to the electric arena, I have only two motors to choose from. The E-Flite 450 / 890kv and the HiMax 2816 / 890kv. I will do more research on the AXI motors, however, my LHS only carries HiMaxx and E-flite motors. They did just get in the EF 480 outrunners. I may setup for that. Geez, is there enough brushless motor brands out there?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:00 AM
TManiaci

Yea, Powrplay... you sure get juiced when your building. It's even worse when you an anal bonehead like me that can't just build the kit stock and go fly, spending countless additional hours trying to make small improvements. It all pays off, but it sure makes you feel more value in the air and cautious.

Looop,

Have not seen any vids up yet anywhere. If I were a great pilot, I'd put one up... but you would just laugh.

TErickson,

I'll play some more with balance today. The first flight jitters and all, I may not have been completely fair.

Well, packing up the Fliton Edge and a few other birds... off to the field! Gotta maiden my Father-in-Law's AXIfied Multiplex Magister today.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 AM
TManiaci

ORIGINAL: powrplay
I have only two motors to choose from. The E-Flite 450 / 890kv and the HiMax 2816 / 890kv. I will do more research on the AXI motors, however, my LHS only carries HiMaxx and E-flite motors. They did just get in the EF 480 outrunners. I may setup for that. Geez, is there enough brushless motor brands out there?
E-Flite Park 450, 14A Cont., 18A burst, 72 grams
E-Flite Park 480, 22A Cont., 28A burst, 87 grams
Himax 2816/890, 13A cont, 18A burst, 77 grams

I would probably select the Park 450. Park 480 is a bit too much for the additional weight. Himax is so close. The E-Flite motors are better quality as I understand, and you can push them beyond ratings better. It depends on how much power you want. The 480 will require a lot more battery to support it's capacity. If you're a pattern guy, go big power with the 480 and big lipo that will support 28 amps. If you're a 3D guy, I think the light-build is a better path. Put n a lipo that will take 20 amps continous, and prop for that WOT. You will not be ballistic, but it will be light on the wing.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:57 PM
TManiaci

Flew the Edge again today. What a beauty in the air. Starting to get cozy with it, and a little more daring. Hover up a bit high was solid. The power issues are gone, and the 2212/20 is plenty of power now on the AXI 10x3.8. Went 12-13 minutes on a 3S 1500 mAH 15C with power to spare. Vertical it strong, but not ballistic. I'm lov'in this bird. Easy to lose orientation in the sun out a bit too far. The orange and red look pretty much the same with the sun behind it out 100 yards, so gotta keep it closer. Did some hard stunts on high rates, this thing is wild when you want it, and mellow when you need it to be tame on low rates. Greesed it in 2-3 times with a 5-7 mph breeze, no problem at all. This is my new favorite electric. Gotta get the Fliton Extra now, they say it's even better... how can that be? This Edge 540 is so good.

Name:	Mk25330.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	397129  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.