Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Weighing your plane

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Weighing your plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:05 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Weighing your plane

I wonder if BillS tried to pull that one at the Post Office first!!!
Actually the grocery store was closer than the Post Office and in the grocery store sometimes I could use the scales without being noticed.

Bill
Old 04-14-2005, 05:11 AM
AgCat1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

The fish type scale is virtually useless, something has to hung on them and the scale has to be hung. Use a postal type scale that stands on a worktop. individual components can be weighed without having to figure out how to hang them on the scale.

Ed S
I took several items from 5 oz to 5 pounds and weighed them on my set of digital fish scales and always got readings within one ounce. With the WalMart set, maybe others, you can hang what ever you are going to hold the plane with on the scales and then turn it on. It will start at "0" and you put the plane on it and get its weight without having to subtract anything. It's all I use. Don't need anything else.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:49 PM
nauticom

Actually the grocery store was closer than the Post Office and in the grocery store sometimes I could use the scales without being noticed.
So you guys think that BillS is the only one who ever did this.
I was a frequent late night/early morning visitor to our LGS. Never did get arrested. Their scales are very accurate however. I now have "gone fishing"
BobM
nauticom
Old 04-15-2005, 06:06 AM
jbloom

Since reading this thread, I've gone to ebay and found an UltraShip 50 for $12.99. Add the $12.95 shipping and you're in for $25.94. If you're interested, the seller is "SaveOnScales". Search for "ULTRA 50# lb SHIPPING SCALE " and you'll find them. I'm looking forward to getting mine! Thanks for the suggestion!

John
Old 04-15-2005, 09:43 AM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

I got a postal scale on e-bay for less then 10.00 shipped. Just do a search for scale or postal scale and you will get tons of sellers. Good luck
Old 04-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Scott McCrory

I also use the Ultra Ship 50 scale. It's extremley accurate. Mine is within 1/10th of an ounce compared to my local Post Office. After weighing my Byron P-51, it's time to put it on a diet!!!!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:47 PM
flipstart

I use a Pro Bass digital fishing scale-buddy gave it to me-he quit fishing tournaments-just hang it in garage, tie light nylon string around prop or make a simple harness for larger planes and hang over your building table. Have cross checked weight with post office scales (like Bill did) but I know the postmaster, and it is a rural post office. Not too many laughs.

One other thing about the digital, at the field we check thrust of planes by attaching scale, and revving planes to full throttle, with someone keeping control of plane -more consistent measurements than it sounds-you can repeat measurements with same plane, same rpms, and prop and get the same results. Also good for evaluating various props. Thought about getting something more sophisicated but why??
Old 04-16-2005, 08:50 PM
propjaw
My Feedback: (19)

SaveOnScales website is the place.They are located in Arizona. They have three different ultraships.. 30lb, 50lb and now a 75lb scale. Pricing is very good and the website has many scales of all types to choose from. I have an ultraship 30 myself and it is great!
Old 04-16-2005, 09:08 PM
fearlessJOE

weighing a plane with the bathroom scale technique is actualy very accurate, but not precise! In other words it wil give you the same data every time, but in pounds, not ounces.
If you weigh 165 lbs and your plane approx. weighs 15 lbs then your bathroom scale should read 180lbs.

BUT! If you weigh yourself at 160, then take a good crap, then weigh yourself + plane, this may cause you to believe your plane is 4-5lbs LIGHTER!

Old 04-16-2005, 11:27 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a digital fish scale from www.radicalrc.com for $20. It works great and agrees very well with my triple beam laboratory balance. I hang the fish scale from a nail on the joists at the ceiling of my workshop and hang my planes on the scale using a loop of string.

My planes are lighter than I thought they would be. Now I fly much better!