Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

When's the 12X replacement coming?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

When's the 12X replacement coming?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: When's the 12X replacement coming?

I was a loyal JR customer for thirty years and fell in love with my two JR 10SX & 10X transmitters and when the time came to buy a newer radio with more channels and the JR 12X didn't come out with a touch screen that is when I moved over to a Futaba 14MZ.
A BIG learing curve trying to program this beast...but after much work and a instruction book from Futaba that is crap, I did master it. And no thanks to the Futaba call-in line as their personal helpers are worthless compared to calling in to Horizon who might not know the answer to your programing problem but would at leat get back to you with some help.
I still use some of JR's switches and stuff which I think are still the best. All that kind stuff that came with my new $2000+ 14MZ went in the trash.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

IDK.....

I think the 12x and even the 9503 is fine. I don't look at the radio while I'm flying... and the less expensive radio's work just as good as the expensive one's. To me... all I need is enough channels to make the model work. Why do we always need upgrades? Don't get me wrong... I'm a tech junky... but for a model radio... I don't see the need for it to be $3,000 because the model will fly the same as if it had a $500 radio.
Very true indeed and well said

In my view these ultra high end radios are not worth the bucks and are bought more as a status symbol I think
Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious ... why no mention of the 11X? I realize that that it's styling is a bit ah ... controversial, but the ergonomics are really good, and it's modern, with a bigger backlit screen. Full switch assignability, throttle stick timers and servo matching. Not a high end radio but it seems like a very competitive mid range radio.

Greg
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
siddus74

I have a JR10x and have had it since new some 8 years, on 35mhz it was bullet proof and still is for my gliders ;-) When I started the jets I went to the 10CG as apposed to the DSX9/12. I couldnt see me needing more than the 10/14 channels as I like the stand off well used scale jets so as far as lights and opening canopies etc go im not interested ... I chose the futaba 2.4 over the JR/Spectrum equivalent due to the 2.4 technology over the nice JR programming and bling etc, as at the time many flyers were trashing the JR/Spectrum technolgy brown outs etc etc.

Ive been using my 10 cg over the past season or so and now I have a handle on the programming and the reversed expo etc I like it and feel totally assured when I fly with it ...

I remember seeing the youtube vids of 2.4ghz spread spektrum that showed how the two channels operate and how they can become swamped by devices such as high powered Access Points, it was the comparison with the futabas channel hopping of the entire band that one me to be honest - I dont know what the 12 is like so I cant comment but if JR are still employed the same 2.4 technolgy as they did with the dsx9 I would rather have an 8FG and the comfort in the technology tbh.

I dont know a single flyer to loose a model on the futaba 2.4 equipment. (I have a Boomerang on a JR921 flying off a DX7 and its been fine for 100's of flight, but buying anything new for me with be futaba)

My opinion only of course.

Scott.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: dubd

It's been years since the 12X has come out and soon the Futaba 18MZ is will be out. What is JR's response? As much as I've like my 12X, it was outdated when it came out. It was basically a 10X with a 9303 UI. Anyone hear about it's replacement??? Years ago we heard about the 16X, but now, nothing... Is it too much to ask for upgradable firmware, lithion-ion batteries, touch screen, sd card, telemetry and a modern UI??

Anyone know if JR is working on anything new??? Seems like Futaba is innovating and JR is... well stagnate.
It is under the same psyche that car manufactures get involved with racing and wanting to stay there even though many short sighted upper mgt. don't share the same enthusiasm

Formula 1 anyone??

I am waiting for my 18mz back ordered..

Will be here at the end of the month!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gsmarino2000

Just curious ... why no mention of the 11X? I realize that that it's styling is a bit ah ... controversial, but the ergonomics are really good, and it's modern, with a bigger backlit screen. Full switch assignability, throttle stick timers and servo matching. Not a high end radio but it seems like a very competitive mid range radio.

Greg
rear sliders killed the deal on that radio
Old 12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

IDK.....

I think the 12x and even the 9503 is fine. I don't look at the radio while I'm flying... and the less expensive radio's work just as good as the expensive one's. To me... all I need is enough channels to make the model work. Why do we always need upgrades? Don't get me wrong... I'm a tech junky... but for a model radio... I don't see the need for it to be $3,000 because the model will fly the same as if it had a $500 radio.

In my view these ultra high end radios are not worth the bucks and are bought more as a status symbol I think
Same could be said about a small Habu 32 DF jet that costs upwards of 1,500 to get up and running with a very limited 6-channel radio...
couple 200-300$ more if you would like to fly the DF jet more that once a day before you have to recharge it...
In Reality price that gets you up and flying...
2000$ for a .32 size plane including the radio and support equipment??/ hmmm...

I payed 2600$ for my 18mz.... ..... and will be flying Gas flybarless heli's and giant scale aerobatic aircraft...and giant scale warbirds....
which easily take upwards of 14-16channels....on some of them...

Not 2000$ foamy size ducted fans.... so perhaps I have a dif perscpective on what I need??

Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: kochj

IDK.....

Same could be said about a small Habu 32 DF jet that costs upwards of 1,500 to get up and running with a very limited 6-channel radio...
couple 200-300$ more if you would like to fly the DF jet more that once a day before you have to recharge it...
In Reality price that gets you up and flying...
2000$ for a .32 size plane including the radio and support equipment??/ hmmm...

I payed 2600$ for my 18mz.... .....

$2600 for a radio .................... Mental price
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
kochj

It isn't for everyone.... no need to debate that...?? why??

Nice thing about it is that if I crash any of the planes.... my radio is still hear...

Can the same be said about your very exspensive lawn dart (Habu 32 )

Like the saying goes.... Don't race a car unless you can afford to drive it off a cliff!!!!....

Same can be said about any of rc planes....ect...

Anyone that flys rc planes, heli's ect and spends over 1000$ on ANYTHING................MENTAL......

Get over it ,... or you had better get out!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

11X comes with a 9 channel rec. That did it for me, went to a 12Z and love it. I used JR for 19 yrs
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Curious,
For those that are flying futaba, are you using futaba servos or JR??
Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Curious,
Hitec (high end ones)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Curious,
JR servos - mostly 8411, 8711, and 2721...

Bob
Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 PM
ddlstang

Curious,
Hi-tec , but the new Futaba's are good also.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

For those willing to spend the bucks, I hope you don't have the temperament of a friend of mine. After he lost a large scratch built Waco due to radio failure, he decided to finish it off and promptly slammed the transmitter into the ground while muttering a few choice words. Luckily it wasn't a $3,000 Futaba, but if it had been... I dare say as pissed as he was, he would have done the same.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 PM
dubd

Well it sounds like there won't be a new JR radio anytime soon.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM
MetallicaJunkie

the 16x is coming soon... it will be upgradable to 18 channels
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

JR's response will be the same as always: "It's not our fault, the radio is perfect, it's all your fault, it must be your set-up, yeah, that's it, your set-up..."
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 PM
HORNET FLYER
My Feedback: (6)

Lol.......same debate over radios still exist that i would read 15 years ago......after 10 years of flying jets and other types of planes they still make it to the ground........some better than others lol.

Lol a $3000 futaba radio.......musta gotten some of that bailout money!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Todd JR servos
Old 12-03-2011, 04:40 AM
Craig B.

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Todd,

I have been using all JR servos but the local price of Futaba ones has really come down. Now I can get a 30kg futaba servo that is quicker than the 8411 for around $150. If I am using futaba in future I will probably start using some of their servos too, especially if I operate on sbus.

Don't know if that info is useful for you or not but thought I would offer it up.

Craig.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:53 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

$2600 for a radio .................... Mental price
Dennis,

You often mention you have over 100 models RTF including about 6 turbines models - now go add that lot up! With that result, how you can question $2600 for a radio that will fly ALL of your 120 odd models is beyond me. If you owned any models that needed 14-16 channels as some of mine do then you would have a different outlook. You shouldn't go round saying things are mental/not needed/status symbols just because it's not what you need. I welcome it with open arms. Maybe I should say P20s, EDFs and the models you fly are not needed/mental etc just because I'm not in that area of the hobby

Each to their own. I am sure you will come back with the standard defence of "it's my opinion, if you don't like it don't read it" etc but maybe, just once, you can add your opinions to threads that are relevant to you.

Anyway, I am sure JR must have something planned. If not, then they only have themselves to blame if/when they lose the high end market.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

11x is nice and comfortable, and the fully assignable switches handy, but there are no names or lables to remind you of what you have assigned them to! great if you only have 1 or 2 models and setup exactly the same....

And the analogue trim [:@][:'(][:'(] What a dumb Idea! talk about going backwards....

The XG8 looks good but I need more channels than what my 9xII currently has so I'm still waiting to see what JR releases.

Thanks

Dave

P.S. Todd, flying with Hi-tec servos.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:07 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

My 12x has done well but I could use a few more channels as I like to setup every servo on a separate channel and mix. I have a DX 8 for my electric jets and I use the telemetry. I have looked at the screen and I have my spotter look at it usually. The programming while good lacks some of the features that the 12x has like different servo slows on each direction of the servo travel, not something used all the time but something I used on a particular model as a simple gear door sequencer. JR or Spektrum I am sure are listening the high end Futaba radios are starting to get my attention.

DR
Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if JR has something good in the pipes, it would be wise to let us in on it now before too many guys jump ship, cause once jumped, I won't be going back. This makes me think they don't have anything. Remember 10X had a 10year run before 12X came out. 12X was announced and shown almost 2 years before it was available so, what does that tell you about whats in the pipes?

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.