Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

GIANT SCALE BEGINNERS--TIPS OF THE WEEK

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GIANT SCALE BEGINNERS--TIPS OF THE WEEK

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 01:59 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GIANT SCALE BEGINNERS--TIPS OF THE WEEK

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Red locktite is the wild stuff. Second only to a welding torch. Blue works well for metal-metal, and CA works for metal to plastic or metal to wood.
Actually - The hottest stuff you can buy (at least commonly) from Locktite is "sleeve retainer" it also is green. Use this and a torch won't take it off. There are aerospace mixes that are even more potent than sleeve retainer.

SR is used to hold steel cylinder sleeves in place on iron and aluminum block engines (i.e. autos). It has a separation temp of 800 * F

I use it to hold stuff together I never want coming apart... (yes, there are some things believe it or not!)..
I have model airplanes, cars, boats and Harleys.. I use a lot of locktite!!

DP
Old 08-10-2004, 07:03 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Research, Research, Research!!!

Remember when that teacher you had in 8th grade gave you those assignments....called "HOMEWORK"?

I thought it was crazy too...though what I learned through those years was.... how to learn. It's a very positive thing to study the subject that you want to build. It doesn't matter how big or small either. I learned though that if you take your time....have patience.....and study..you will know what your getting into.

With computers....and the internet.....we have no reason for not having tons of notes on our hobby.....especially when we have thousands...read $$$$$$ invested. I know I do. Gigibytes of info...binders of printed info.....a bunch of posts here in RCU...years of reading...late nights.......I don't mind a bit..it's all part of the hobby...and a part of where we want to in our GiantScale challenges....

By doing just that...I have several planes that I'm very proud of... and. ..... I've never been disappointed by being patient. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Katana

Heres a tip for starting a gas engine. have your hand on a slight angle so if the prop does kick back you wont lose your fingers it will kind of skim them. Will still hurt a lot but you will still have all fingers. Correct me if that isnt right. But that is how i was taught, I havent had to find out how much it hurts though (yet).
Chris Leyland
Old 08-10-2004, 08:42 PM
taildragger01
My Feedback: (10)

Hi. just bought a Ziroli sbd dauntless short kit. this is my first attemt at giant(1/4) scale. I have built quite a few 60 size and even one cub with a 83" WS they have always been good kits but they allso had instructions. the dauntless however dose not. and I realy don,t know were to begin with making alist of stringers and sheets that I will need just to get this on the table. can somone give me a hint as to where I should go to find the materials list.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:26 PM
LMProd

I just pick up a H 9 Super Cub as a entry into giant scale. It's a lot smaller investment ( $299.00 ) than some of the planes listed above.

About twisting the servo leads. Would a RF choke work just as well ??

Thanks,
Old 08-11-2004, 09:16 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Katana,
I agree with you, but wearing a leather glove while flipping the prop is the answer. I never had a gas engine kick back on me.
Here is my tip of the day: If your gasser with mag-ignition is hard to start check the gap between the spool and the flywheel. If the gap is too wide you still get a spark but it is weak. The correct gap should be 0.010" (0.25mm). Makes all difference in the world.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Always a lot of discussion about which "Locktite" to use.

All bolts and screws using locktite (even red) can easily be loosened with the application of heat.

just use the tip of your soldering iron, hold it on the head of the screw allowing the locktite to soften. Then just un screw it.

I have been using Locktite since it was new on the market and I have never destroyed a screw because of it.
The manufacturer recomends using heat to loosen, that's good enough for me.

Makes you wonder why people use it on mufflers don't it....
Old 08-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

After having a few go arounds with muffler bolts that seem to always want to loosen up I decided to use a mthod that always works.

Safety wire, simply cross drill the heads of the bolts and wire one bolt to the other once they are tightened down.

Loctite on muffler bolts really doesn't work and lock washers are only good for one use, after they are compressed once and heated they loose their spring and become regular washers.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:37 AM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

If you have got to this point in your flying and never used expo, now's the time to start. Remember that JR numbers are positive and Futaba's are negative to soften the feel.

Also, the first time your ready to start that engine, put the wings on the fuse. I know sounds dumb. But don't try to run your gasser without the wings on. It'll shake the dickens out of it.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:43 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Yes, the wings are huge dampers for vibration. Never run an engine without them!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:17 AM
ml3456

I new to giant planes, and do your ailerons shake a lot when idling? Still breaking in the engine and its already lean, but I may still have a little tweaking, but my ailerons shake so much that I afraid the servos (JR 8411's) will wear out to soon. All props are well balanced.

I quess my question is is this normal to have the aiilerons shake this muck. Its a 29% Edge with 3D size ailerons.

Thanks, mark
Old 08-15-2004, 09:10 PM
GreaTOne_65

I did started April 26, finished May 1.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:47 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not unusual to have some vibration passing through the ailerons on large scale planes, the question is how much is too much?

For peace of mind, go back and check all the linkage associated with every flight surface. Look for any free play. It may be at the servo output shaft with a less than perfect servo arm to shaft fit. It may sometimes be found at the connections between the control rod and the sontrol horns or servo arm. Eliminating those potential vibration points will go far in removing potential causes of flutter and servo failure.

Next Topic: Hardware

Forget 40 size hardware technology when you progress up to giant scale. It doesn't exist anymore.

a 2/56 bolt or screw is barely adaquate for holding the canopy to the frame, and should never be used for structural or control purposes.

4/40 wire rods should be looked at with suspicion for control rods unless they are super short. They bend too easily. There are numerous type of alternative control rods on the market that are much stronger and stiffer with minimal weight gains.

Speaking of weight.

In the past you have always been looking for the lightest possible component you could find to assist in the operation of your 40 to 60 size machine. Doing that in giant scale can sometimes cause you problems in balancing out the plane. Your tail moments are longer now. Think before you purchase how much weight you may need up front to balance the plane. Try to make it useful weight, like a bigger battery or engine rather than dead weight like lead.

Good luck to you all, and welcome to giant scale!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Steve Sanford

The green that we use is a wicking type, to put on something that is already assembled, don't have the number, wore off the bottle. SS
Old 08-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Here is my tip : Hide all receipts from the wife
Old 08-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Tired Old Man

Good tip!!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:43 PM
airbatic

Advice for young ladies.

Never go in public with your mother. Young lads see what you look like in twenty years.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Mike,

We have some "Green" Loctite here at work. It's called RC-680. If you put this stuff on anything it is as permanent as if you welded it.

I buy Permatex "thread locker" at the local Ace Hardware. It is blue in color and is advertised as "removeable". I have never had a problem disassembling anything that was put together with THIS Blue Stuff.

My point is, color is not always a good indicator of the products performance or strength. If you're not sure about what you are using, do a "Google" search on "Removeable Loctite". You should be able to find what you need.

Bob
Old 08-23-2004, 04:04 AM
TommyWatson

I just finished setting up my GP Eagle. I have 4 Hitec 5475 digital servos in the wings. When I first connected all four to the aileron channel on my Futaba rx, all the servos started to chatter. On advice from Mike at Hitec , i connected the top wing servos to the aileron channel and the bottom wing servos to Aux 1 and mixed them. No more chatter!!.

Seems like the four digital servos overloaded the signal from the RX.
If I pulled one of the servos the chatter stopped.

Regards

ORIGINAL: dlwood

I have a question, How many servos can be driven by one channel of a reciever?

I am building a Great Planes Christen Eagle that calls for "Y" ing the 4 airerons to a single channel. I have determined how to use heavy power leads isolated from the reciever but have been informed that one servo signal channel should drive a max of two servos. opinions?
Old 08-23-2004, 04:08 AM
TommyWatson

I have a YW 48 twin in my World Models Extra. I was always finding the mufflers loose. I tried locktite with no luck. I have just wired the muffler bolts, I hope it works!!!.

regards

ORIGINAL: Shogun

After having a few go arounds with muffler bolts that seem to always want to loosen up I decided to use a mthod that always works.

Safety wire, simply cross drill the heads of the bolts and wire one bolt to the other once they are tightened down.

Loctite on muffler bolts really doesn't work and lock washers are only good for one use, after they are compressed once and heated they loose their spring and become regular washers.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Saito_56
My Feedback: (17)

Just won a Great Planes Super Stearman, Let the fun begin! This will be my first Giant, IMAA legal anyway, and am leaning twoard a G-26.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:02 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

For securing those muffler bolts I found this link on another post here in RCU. I haven't used this Loc-Tite but intend to give it a try.

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...sp_language=en

Edit:

My beginner's tip:

Watch silently, listen and learn. There are too many less than skillful pilots out there wrecklessly flinging about large aircraft. Fly to your skill level. Strive to be a better pilot after each flight. Practice to a standard and patiently learn new maneuvers, don't force that maneuver down-on-the-deck until you're good and ready.

P.S. If you're like me and there are no giant-scale pilots near you you'll be reading alot of forums on RCU and DOD and watching a lot of videos online.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Tired Old Man

FlyinTiger,

Those were pretty good words to fly by. At any level!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:27 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

flyntigger--

YOu out at Minot? Whatcha do out there.........I was at Kbad with the buffs, but I'm out in Vegas currently.

Not that I want to go up there in the way up north, but glad to see they at least have a field.

My tip..........

Fly what you can afford to crash. Fly at your abilities and practice those crazy moves with something cheaper or on a sim. Take your time, the big ones look really good if you put time into your design and installation. No need to put it all together in one night. 2months-6months-1 yr......whatever it takes to make it right, ........if you can't impress with your flying skills, at least impress with your plane!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

First two things i learned from my flying club.
1) "EVERYTHING IS LESS THAN 50 BUCKS!"
2) That i am the luckiest guy at our club that i keep winning these RC products from the club raffles.

Smokey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.