Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Flight Test and FPVFC Petition/Memo 2023 FAA Authorization.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Flight Test and FPVFC Petition/Memo 2023 FAA Authorization.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 01:24 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was about to send out my cover letters with FPVFC's "memo", but there are some issues. First, you are stating that you are a member of FPVFC. I'll pass on $40 per year. There is no free option. I was going to edit out the part about being a member but it's not my memo. It's a big oversight for a form-letter campaign. There are also grammatical errors. I may just send my own letters without it. Here is the memo:

MEMO TO CONGRESS ON RAISING REGISTRATION AND REMOTE ID REQUIREMENTS FROM 250 GRAMS TO 1 KILOGRAM

Subject: Request to raise the lower bound of 250 grams to 1 kg of the sUAS registration requirements in the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2023

To: Congressional Representative / Senator,

I am a member of the First-Person View Freedom Coalition. This organization is one of the four FAA recognized Community Based Organizations

In 2015, the FAA established small Unmanned Aircraft System registration between 0.55 pounds (250 grams) to 55 pounds (citation 1). We request the lower bound of this rule be increased to 1 kilogram. In 2018, HR 2810, section 1092(a) reinstated sUAS registration. Then, on January 2021, the FAA issued the Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft rule (citation 2) where the FAA established that all registered UAS must have Remote Identification. The safety record of sUAS continues to be excellent with zero fatalities from a sUAS impacting an individual on the ground by an electric powered multi-rotor.

We request that Congress include in the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2023 a mandate to the FAA to raise the lower bound of the registration requirement. Explicit in this request is the recommendation to also raise the remote identification requirement to 1 kg. Our membership urges Congress to mandate the FAA to make this change as there are no discernible safety risks. There is a substantial benefit for recreational operators having the ability to fly model airplanes and other sUAS where they can fly them today. And, this change would have the benefit to businesses serving the 1.76 million recreational sUAS operators in the USA today (citation 3).

Thank you for your consideration of this critical issue.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:16 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be in this group's best interest to take a serious look at creating a modeling organization. After all, they have the most to lose.

AMA Government Advocacy Coalition