Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do your neighbors know you are in "the hobby"?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Do your neighbors know you are in "the hobby"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 PM
butt_housed247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do your neighbors know you are in

<div>they know, but 60% of them don't care. i live on a pretty cool street. several dirt bike riders. down the street there's a family who kids race go karts. a few people have go-ped scooters.

electric no one cares about. with the nitro trucks the haters will give you dirty looks, maybe say something to you at some point, or just get mad and slam there front doors (that happens all the time they also do it with the dirt bikes). the only RC's they seem to totally hate to the point of calling the cops is the big gas cars. my next door neighbor has a 5B SS with some huge gnarly aftermarket pipe on it. the last time he got it out the cops made an appearance. they impounded the car and wrote him 2 tickets. one for noise and one for, i forget the exact wording but it was for driving an unregistered, unlicensed vehicle on public streets. the pig told us that RC cars fall under the same classification as dirt bikes, ATV's, UTV's, mini bikes, go karts, and other recreational vehicles and therefore can't be used on public streets. so far that's been the only issue we've ever had. seems as long as we keep the noise down no one cares

same goes for bash spots. keep the noise and dust down and no one seems to care as long as you're not damaging property</div>
Old 03-14-2012, 05:16 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I live in a neighborhood with about 2/3 of the residents being 60+. The rest are 25-50yrs old. Only ever had one complaint from the lady next door, but she died last year. Her husband has no issues, even asks me about my engines. Some neighbors a block over have nitro and electrics and talk to me periodically about what I have.

I too had my RC stuff stolen a few years ago. The cops suck and sent rookies to investigate, the thieves never caught. But my collection is better now anyway. I keep all RC stuff in the house. My house is insured by Browning and Mauser, so anyone breaks in and they eat lead.

I keep the nitro noise limited to 9am to 9pm and its all good. Running at a local park last summer attracted a police officer who drove his unmarked Durango R/T across the soccer field to check it out. He put the radar on my SH .28 powered lst2 and I got 42mph even. It was a fun day.
Shortly after I moved into my first apartment I had most of my RC stuff stolen when I was at work. Luckily I had renters insurance, so they cut me a check to go buy more RC stuff and a new TV!
I didn't have enough receipts to make it worth it. My homeowners policy has a $1k deductible and because it was theft and not fire or act of nature, it would have raised my insurance $750 per year for 7 years. Something about 80% of all homeowner claims are fraudulent and I pay the price because someone else ripped the ins. co. off.

I didn't make the claim. Not worth it.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am LOVING these replies as I was unsure what others faced with respect to running their cars around their neighborhood.

FWIW, I live in a fairly "established" neighborhood. i.e. Most families are my demographic (middle-age, one or more pre-teen kids, etc.)
I served on our HOA for a few years and was actually the HOA President for a short stint....so I certainly champion "keeping the peace" in one's neighborhood.

While pretty much most of my neighbors are very aware that I "play with rc cars", I do try to respect everyone and run them in short bursts typically early evening, but let's say it is an <u>EVERY DAY</u> thing. For at least 30 minutes between 6-7, I'll get my fix in by running one or more of the cars up and down the street.

I can understand some family who has NO interest in RC cars getting annoyed with that whizzing sound going up and down the street all the time. I try to be pretty cool with everyone. If I see someone step outside, I'll say things like "I'm just giving it a quick run to test some things, hopefully it's not disturbing you." Because of that&lt;, I'm sure they show me a lot of latitude.

With that, this is a very "family-friendly" hobby, and so as many of you have noted, the majority of the responses you get are "Wow, that's cool!" ;-)
Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its so funny that this thread came out. I hadn't had any issues except for the one neighbor until yesterday. Old lady down the street came out at 6pm to yell at me, said cant Irun elsewhere and to stop running past her home. I told her that isn't it better for me to be doing this now than at 10pm at night? And also, they aren't illegal to run and no cop is going to shut me down. So basically Itold her to sit and spin. I cant stand uptight grouchy neighbors.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"IM SORRY I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE ENGINE, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL IM DONE, K?)

sometimes i downright hate people, why can people just be cool? its alot easier being nice than it is being a huge jerk- these people lost the kid in them.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 AM
nitrosteve22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lived at places where I've had total "you know whats" for neighbors but where I'm at now is pretty cool. A guy up the street has a Tmaxx but hardly ever runs it and my buddy lives one house down and always comes out to see what the noise is,he's planning on getting a nitro or super fast electric. My one next door neighbor is a 65 year old guy that gets a kick out of my nitro's and wants to get in to the hobby! People don't bother me cause I stay on my side and use my driveway and back ally alot also I don't run them alot cause I'm always at work [:'(] ... Gotta drive for a good 15-20 minutes to get somewhere else to run them so that sucks.... Used to have a track but that was years ago...