Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Delta Vortex Turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Delta Vortex Turbine

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Delta Vortex Turbine

no way, you're actually fast.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 AM
speedbrake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to do it again I would cover the fuselage before joining it to the wing. I thought about it.....but wanted to get it together. Gees Louise, it would have been so much easier! Covered the canard. I'll tackle the fuselage next then start on the wing. Actually, the wing will be the easiest although it is the largest surface. The canard elevator has a 3/8" up and down movement...just about right. I plan to use 1/4" throws and go from there. The canard is very close to the CG so may not have that much of an impact.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29440.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1385131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10411.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1385132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87018.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1385133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39778.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1385134  
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably a dumb question: You do intend to use the elevons as elevator/aileron, right (not just ailerons)?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
speedbrake

Hi Bruce,
Correct...I'll use the elevons as primary roll and pitch control. The canard will supplement the pitch control. There is insufficent area in the canard to do anything else. I would like to have the canard provide both roll and pitch but that will be determined after it has proven to work. My expectation at this point is for the canard to provide a higher AOA on landing. If that is successful then I can go from there. If not.....then the canard can be used for pitch trim.

Keith
Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
speedbrake

I'm still plugging away. What you see is the bottom of the wing...using contrasting scheme so I can determine top and bottom in the air. Still haven't decided what the top will look like. The black and yellow monokote go on well but the crome doesn't stick as well. I'll use another 1/8 inch strip of red or white to cover the edges of the crome so it will stay down. The tips were covered with two pieces...top and bottom. A white strip will separate the red tip from the yellow and black strips. Still haven't done the fuselage.....

Name:	Pn37995.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1387708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67268.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1387709  
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
speedbrake

The bottom of the wing is covered. The left upper wing is covered. There won't be any mistaking top and bottom. Should have the right side done tomorrow and then on to the fuseage. I'm really dragging my feet with the fuselage.
My goal was to have the model done in one month....I'll be close.

Name:	Ig13279.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1389463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30759.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1389464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28817.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1389465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41641.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1389466  
Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 AM
speedbrake

Alright...back in Germany for the winter. Had an enjoyable summer in Georgia flying my jets. I brought a turbine engine back with me so I could mount it and determine where all the electronics need to be placed in the fuselage. There seems to be ample room for everything to fit...especially because the fuel tanks are mounted in the wings. And....I haven't finished covering the fuselage...a chore I for some reason just don't want to accomplish. So my goal is to finish the plane by the end of November so I can begin building a Reaction 54 kit. It seems likely the wife will be transferred next year so perhaps this model can be shipped to the states this coming Spring....and flown by Sept or Oct. Pictures show the turbine...a PST600R (notice the nice FOD screen now provided by PST). It didn't take too much ballast in the nose to counter the turbine weight...so hopefully the receiver and ECU batteries will be enough to balance the model. I plan to place the fuel pump directly under the hatch under the engine. Everything else will be forward of that hatch.

Name:	Ig13612.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1521532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79651.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1521533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99766.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1521534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58350.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1521535  
Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 AM
speedbrake

Finally.....the project is complete. It will be finalized when it arrives back in the states. The fins, electronics, servos, etc. will not be installed to keep the weight and structure to a minimum for shipping. Both of my Reaction 54 models were constructed overseas and shipped home with no damage. Total weight of the airframe, which includes the tanks, UAT and landing gear, is six pounds. So the total weight should be about fourteen pounds or so; an excellent weight for the PST turbine. The length is sixty inches and the span is fifty-five and a half inches. If it flies as well as the standard Delta Vortex it should be a great flying plane. I will update this log after the first flight.

Name:	Sq47920.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1524770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35781.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1524771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52276.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1524772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88253.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1524773  
Old 07-26-2011, 01:01 PM
speedbrake

Well it seems the airframe survived the shipment. I'll try to have it flyable by mid or late August. More pictures as it nears the first flight. The turbine also successfully returned...I was worried it might be stolen. More later.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:59 AM
jetsett
My Feedback: (6)

Any updates? has it flown?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
speedbrake

No it hasn't flown. I was able to mount the fins before leaving for Bahrain. The plane is in my basement...waiting for me to return. Hopefully I'll have it ready for flight by next July. I'll keep you posted.

Keith
Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 PM
speedbrake

Back to work. The sub-fins have been mounted and the rudders installed. All the servos are mounted, the elevon and rudder push rods are done. After laying out all the turbine wires and plugs I decided to remove the UAT and place it under the canard. The ECU will go where the UAT was, thus allowing a more orderly flow of wires/plugs. There are four hatches on top of the wing and fuselage. Just one will need to be opened prior to engine start....receiver switch, ECU switch, propane valve, and fuel fill will be under a single hatch. The receiver, batteries and ballast will be in the forward compartment. The engine pump will be under the turbine. The middle hatch will house most of the wires and plugs, propane tank and valve.

The downside of re-starting a project after many months of inactivity is finding all the components. Right now I can't find the propane tank. I hope to run the turbine by the weekend. If all goes well perhaps have it flying by the second week in July.

Keith

Name:	Zx72542.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1776068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53813.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1776069  
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 AM
speedbrake

Installed the turbine, ECU and on-board propane tank. Next is the propane valve, the fuel valve, receiver battery switch, and ECU switch. The servos in the picture are the nose wheel steering and canard elevator. The nose wheel steering hook up will be a little more work that first thought. The steering arm on the LGR wire is below the servo. I thought about inverting the servo but that doesn't allow much access....even thought about putting a hatch on the bottom of the fuselage...too much work. I'm going to install a U-control bellcrank behind the servo. This will permit a straight wire to connect to the bellcrank and the steering arm, and long enough to attach to the servo on the top side.

The canard is one third the size of the wing. I thought this would be a sufficient size to allow elevator control using the canard. But after framing the canard and wing it became obvious that the canard is too small. I will try this again with the canard at least half the size of the wing and make the canard the primary pitch control.

Can't load all the pictures...network too busy. Will try again later

Keith

Name:	Bz77502.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1777482  
Old 07-02-2012, 12:32 PM
speedbrake

Most of the wiring and plumbing is done. Need to make an extension for the ECU battery; install the receiver, center all the servos...set throws, and balance the model. I used the kit front LG wire and it was a bit too long. I installed a 2 inch wheel (replacing a 3 inch) and that was enough for a slight nose up attitude while on the ground. The steering bellcrank worked out well. Should be ready for first flight in about a week or so. Model still feels light...will use a bathroom scale to get total weight before flying. I will ground run the engine to ensure the tanks are plumbed properly.

Still couldn't upload photos....not sure what the problem is...my computer/server or RCU.

Keith
Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Pulsejet_Harry

I'm mounting a pulsejet on my Delta Vortex. I wanted to add a forward fuselage and canards like you did. Can you email me your design? Did you think about making the canards movable?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM
speedbrake

Hello,
The entire canard doesn't move but a small elevator on the trailing edge does. It will move about 3/16 up and down...just enough to get the nose moving. The primary elevator control is still the elevons. The canard elevator is closer to the CG than the elevons...so should be less sensitive. I'm anxious to find out by flying it.

A pulse jet will be interesting. Bruce will like that...one of his pulse jet designs was the idea behind the Reaction Jet. Let me know how it flies.

I'll be happy to share what I have. Although the drawings are probably in Bahrain, I can trace the fuselage for you. The canard is 1/3 the size of the wing...just measure out and draw a smaller one. I used 1/4 inch balsa. I also have a computer program that locates the CG for canards..can share that to. Just give me your address.

Keith
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Ed

Hi Keith, please try and have a video taken. I have built a couple of Vortex's, and they have been wonderful fliers.

Suscribed !

Ed
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM
speedbrake

finally back to work on the Delta. I was unable to balance the model with the turbine in the original position. It took about three pounds to get close. I decided to move the turbine forward rather then adding all that weight. It was moved forward 10 inches. The airframe is fairly light weight so adding all that ballast just didn't make sense.

The turbine thrust line is set for zero incidence....thus the shaped pieces for the engine mount. A plywood piece on each side will tie the wing structure to the fuselage and mount. Should be a strong mount structure when done. A 1/4 inch plywood mount plate will epoxied across the top.

I will add a metal hatch cover from the rear of the mount to the original mount location....just in case it is too warm for monokote. I plan to run the turbine to check the fuel system this weekend. And...if all is well I'll fly it before the end of the month.

Keith

Name:	Kh17475.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1802526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84954.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1802527  
Old 09-18-2012, 03:12 PM
speedbrake

The turbine is mounted. Need to finish the hatches and hook everything up. Fortunately there was enough room in the fuselage to relocate the turbine...everything fits. Both batteries are under the canopy...as is the receiver.

Need to bind the transmitter and receiver.....connect all the servos and set throws. Should have it ready for engine run this week.

Keith

Name:	Zx69876.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1802603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12120.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1802604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71759.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1802605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94680.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1802606  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice woodwork, Keith. Looking forward to the flight report!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM
pdubree

Hi keith
One heck of a project. Can't wait for flight. Remember some of the scratch kits we built in the PI in the early 80s. I had a twin electric that ran on 2 mabuchi 540 truck motors and speed controller. Flew like a scolded ape for about 2 minutes. the nicad batt was so hot needed a glove to throw it in the ice cooler. lot good times then. keep this thread going.
your bud
pete
Old 09-25-2012, 03:05 PM
speedbrake

Hey Pete, I do remember all those weird planes we built....lots of fun...and good memories.

Bruce, I need a lead for the propane value (pig tail between the value and the ECU). Do you carry spare parts for the PST600?

Have not been able to start the turbine. I checked everything...three/four times! Will stay with it until the problem is found. The plane is otherwise ready for flight...weight and balance is done.

Keith
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Ed

Check your thermocouple polarity. What does it behave like when starting ?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
speedbrake

No joy with the turbine. It will not begin the start sequence...just get a "step failed" on the TEMS. This turbine is fresh from the factory and the first installation since receiving it. I've never had trouble with the PST before and I can't help thinking it is something I did or not doing. The ECU plugs can't be reversed so I'm confident that isn't the issue. I am using a new radio and have had much fun learning how to use it...but the throttle is reversed as recommended and the ATV is correctly set.

I left a message on the PST help site so hopefully they can get me through this.

If this becomes a long and drawn out affair...I'll install another turbine and get the Delta in the air.

cheers,
Keith
Old 09-29-2012, 06:53 AM
pdubree

Keith

Try another radio and reciever. can't help thinking the reverse throttle thing might be it. It is with initial on electrics ESC's. Got in 7 flights on the shockjet this week. Having fun.

Your Bud
Pete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.