Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

British So, what is it

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

British So, what is it

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 PM
roltech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Canadian So, what is it

ORIGINAL: ozcan

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Its a TSR2 Strike Reconnaisance aircraft powered by two Olympus engines and only one ever flew before our labour government scrapped it as an economy measure. At least the engines went into Concorde and the Concorde programme survived thanks to the French. By all accounts from Jimmy Dell and Bee Beaumont, the only test pilots to fly it it would have knocked spots of any other bomber, capable of almost Mach 1 at 50 feet at night in bad weather using terrain following radar and Mach 2 at altitude. I had hoped to fly it had it come into RAF service, as was expected until Wilson wielded the axe, we got Phantoms and Buccaneers instead and Canberras stayed in service longer. And we STILL dont know just who ordered the breakup of all the airframes (exept two) and the jigs, everyone denies responsibilty ! TSR2 was one of the greatest and most disgusting tragedies in British aviation.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

David, The TSR seems to have had a very interesting history.... reminds me of another awesome cold war aircraft which had a similar fate as the TSR. The TSR2 seems to closely parallel the Canadian Arrows demise with a strikingly similar ramifications all for dumbfounded political reasons also, The Arrows axing along with countless jobs at AVro Canada back in the 50's is still regarded as a bone of contention today among many Canadians old enough to still remember. Irony being that after the Arrows axing many of the designers and engineers were hired to work for NASA and British aerospace and worked on the Concorde!
I reckon the world be a much, much better place with less self righteous politicians eh!!!
Your not kidding ! we Canadians are still P..t off at the goverment for axing this aircraft. it was IMHOP the best aircraft at the time, I have relatives that worked in that plant at that time. And I never mention a word about it when I visit them there still mad.

roltech
Old 05-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Gazzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Canadian So, what is it

Coincidentally on Ebay in the UK at this very moment......GAS TURBINE/DUCTED FAN BAC TSR 2 PLANS Item number: 6059532205

Gazzer