Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The car/truck radio system thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The car/truck radio system thread

I too find the Futaba 3 and 4PK to physically feel nicer in the hand, but to each his own.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:13 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

speaking of cheap knock-offs: when is someone going to start making fasst and spektrum clones so we don't have to pay so much for receivers? maybe you don't want a clone receiver for your $1000 5th scale, but for my kids rustler, it would be fine. $50 a pop is a killer - specially since I can't seem to stop buying cars, therefore I need more receivers!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

I just went 2.4ghz a couple months ago and chose the Futaba 3PM. It seems to have all the features i'd ever need with the most important being the 10-model memory. Now I don't have to lug around a whole pile of radios wherever I go. Definitely handy. I was also looking at the DX3R at the time, but the 3PM seemed the better value. For $180 you can use the latest Futaba FASST receivers. If I went Spektrum it seems it would've cost me $300.
Not entirely true, you can get the new version Spektrum DX3S with 1 receiver, telemetry, hand grips and instructions for $180 shipped. Thats the same price as the 3PM and with more features.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 AM
SLAYERDUDE

I keep seeing the "Lug around a box of radios" thing thrown around.
Did you know that you can in fact have more than one RX for the older radios as well?
Xtals are dirt cheap and so are RX's. (Not $40-$70 a pop like the 2.4 RX's I've seen)
I have 12 R/C's and 5 radios.
I have ONE RTR radio that I use on most of my cars.
For the other few cars that I do have in running condition I use another radio so I can let others run a car with me.
So that's a total of 2 radios to "lug" around, and that's only when I plan on letting somone else run one of my cars.
I do want the new stuff (3PK) but I can't afford it so I'm pretty content with what I have.
If I was a racer it would be a different story.
10 model memory is nice, but what happens when your buddy comes over and wants to run one of your other cars and do some bashing with you?

Not fueling the fire here, just giving my own point of view and I'm pretty sure that's what this forum is all about.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Tower has a 2.4 system that's pretty cheap, with cheap receivers.

I've found the best thing to do when someone turns on a radio on your channel, is to turn your radio off. The truck still gets out of your control, but it doesn't seem to just "haul butt" off in another direction.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Not entirely true, you can get the new version Spektrum DX3S with 1 receiver, telemetry, hand grips and instructions for $180 shipped. Thats the same price as the 3PM and with more features.
Would've been nice if a DSM2 receiver would come with it (unless it does now??) And I realistically am never going to use telemetry. Plus to top it off, I kept reading about the DX3S having sketchy construction. Whether it be true or not, I didn't want to chance spending $200 on something that was known to fall apart. Don't get me wrong, I almost pressed the 'order' button on the Spektrum but just thought that overall the 3PM was the better buy at the time. I do like the looks of the Spektrum DX3S and DX3R.....blows the Futaba away in that category.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Would've been nice if a DSM2 receiver would come with it (unless it does now??) And I realistically am never going to use telemetry. Plus to top it off, I kept reading about the DX3S having sketchy construction. Whether it be true or not, I didn't want to chance spending $200 on something that was known to fall apart. Don't get me wrong, I almost pressed the 'order' button on the Spektrum but just thought that overall the 3PM was the better buy at the time. I do like the looks of the Spektrum DX3S and DX3R.....blows the Futaba away in that category.
The DX3S is compatable with DSM2 receivers. Also, the sketchy construction is the wheel to adjust your settings, that breaks if you push on it hard. Solution is to call Spektrum, they will ask you if you want to send it in and they will fix it or if they will send you the new scroll wheel at no charge. Talk about customer service, they make a bad scroll wheel, not they are going out of pocket and replacing everyone's for free. All you have to have is the DX3S, I will call them even if it isnt broke and they will send one out for free. You can also get the aluminum scroll wheel made by an aftermarket company sold on ebay for about $14.

Also, with Spektrum you can get Losi MRX receivers and the SR300s, they go around $35 shipped for a receiver. Pretty cheap if you ask me!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Willystylz

aren't the MRX's goin for about $75??
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Druss

I think he means used on ebay.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
dacaur

I just went 2.4ghz a couple months ago and chose the Futaba 3PM. It seems to have all the features i'd ever need with the most important being the 10-model memory. Now I don't have to lug around a whole pile of radios wherever I go. Definitely handy. I was also looking at the DX3R at the time, but the 3PM seemed the better value. For $180 you can use the latest Futaba FASST receivers. If I went Spektrum it seems it would've cost me $300.
Better value? Futaba is about the worst value in 2.4ghz radios if you are going to equip multiple vehicles... $100 a pop for receivers is a little ridiculous. Watch ebay and you can easily get a losi branded spektrum reciver for $35.

When I first got into land RC I did buy a futaba 3pm 2.4. And it was a great radio. Then I bought a losi LST XXL, (which comes with a DX3S), with the intention of putting the futaba reciver in it and selling the DX3S. Then I tried the radio, and Immediately liked it better (DX3S). I think the reason so many people say the futaba is better quality is because to a lot of people Weight=Quality, and the DX3S is MUCH lighter than the futaba 3PM. (due to using 4 AA's instead of 8) In my opinion, having used both for quite a while, the spektrum is just as high quality as the futaba.
As for range, I never had a problem with either. I can control my trucks further than I can easily tell what direction they are going, and thats good enough for me!

The telemetry is a better value for nitro vehicles than electric. people who drive only electric generally arent too impressed with it. But for nitro vehicles is AWSOME. I can see my reciver pack voltage as soon as I turn on the truck, as well as engine temp, and it beeps at me if either passes a value I set....

Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Willystylz

hrmm i just did a search on fleabay and the MRX-3000 seems to be coming up in around the same price as the R603FF. Maybe some used ones do come up every now and then for a steal. But when I'm talking value i'm talking brand new. When I was going out shopping for 2.4ghz I was looking brand new. As I said earlier "3PM seemed the better value".
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
dacaur

hrmm i just did a search on fleabay and the MRX-3000 seems to be coming up in around the same price as the R603FF. Maybe some used ones do come up every now and then for a steal. But when I'm talking value i'm talking brand new. When I was going out shopping for 2.4ghz I was looking brand new. As I said earlier ''3PM seemed the better value''.
Most of the ones sold on ebay are brand new never use, pulled from a new vehichle, just not in a package.

Even so, a brand new sr300 spektrum rx is still cheaper than a futaba fasst rx....
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 PM
kistner

I am not finding these $35 receivers on ebay, I'd snatch a few of those in a heartbeat. unless you are referring to typical ebay tactics of $35 for the receiver and $12 shipping.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Would a RX fit in this box for $5...
I think so and it would get there quick.
Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box $4.95 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"
http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

Still gotta love the cheapo prices on radios at the LHS that's leftover when the big $ hustlas get the 2.4 for the RTR.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 PM
kistner

it would fit but it can be mailed cheaper. I just today mailed an rx in a puffy small envelope with delivery confirmation, only $2.19. that was 1.39 shipping and 80 cents delivery confirmation.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dacaur

Better value? Futaba is about the worst value in 2.4ghz radios if you are going to equip multiple vehicles... $100 a pop for receivers is a little ridiculous. Watch ebay and you can easily get a losi branded spektrum reciver for $35.

When I first got into land RC I did buy a futaba 3pm 2.4. And it was a great radio. Then I bought a losi LST XXL, (which comes with a DX3S), with the intention of putting the futaba reciver in it and selling the DX3S. Then I tried the radio, and Immediately liked it better (DX3S). I think the reason so many people say the futaba is better quality is because to a lot of people Weight=Quality, and the DX3S is MUCH lighter than the futaba 3PM. (due to using 4 AA's instead of 8) In my opinion, having used both for quite a while, the spektrum is just as high quality as the futaba.
As for range, I never had a problem with either. I can control my trucks further than I can easily tell what direction they are going, and thats good enough for me!

The telemetry is a better value for nitro vehicles than electric. people who drive only electric generally arent too impressed with it. But for nitro vehicles is AWSOME. I can see my reciver pack voltage as soon as I turn on the truck, as well as engine temp, and it beeps at me if either passes a value I set....

The telemetry is a gimmick IMHO and definitely not needed ...for one the temp sensor is terribly inaccurate, so is the RPM sensor.... The battery voltage is OK, but really not needed....... As for the weight fooling people ? please dude give me a break already.... The D3 is not built with the same quality as a Futaba 3PK, not even close...Hold and use a 4PK, then use a D3R then come talk to me, both are 4 cell radios ..... Its no contest dude, the Futaba is a better radio sytem , no ifs, ands or buts about it.... Sure the D3 may offer a better value per feature, but Futaba is the premium radio....As i say the Futaba's have over double the effective range, IMHO the D3 radios have horrible range that makes doing any sort of drag racing or top speed runs nearly impossible..in our location the D3's are falling out of range at about 250'...... The D3's feel very cheaply built, the menu wheels break, they are not backlit and they have horrible range...The Futaba's are built well, they are beefy and solid, they don't fall apart and they have awesome range.......... I still have a D3R as a beater radio but next tot he Futaba's it just doesn't stack up, and trust me the weight is not fooling me into thinking its cheap, i have been around alot longer then that to be fooled by something so trivial........
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Chris_RC

Your comparing a $500 radio to $300 (3R) and $180 (3S) radio's?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM
dacaur

You need more than 250'? are you driving with binoculars strapped to your head? Driving more than 250 feet away you are practically standing on one side of a football field and driving on the other side (longways, not side-side). Traxxas claims 1300' range, but who is going to test it?

Anyhow, I am specifically comparing the 3pm to the dx3s, since I have owned and used both, Ive never tried the others and dont intend to. Paying more than $250 for a surface radio is just nuts... I dont disagree that a $400-$500 radio feels higher quality than a $180 radio, big surprise....

As for the $35 receivers, they come up, but you have to watch for them. ive seen several go for $30 plus $5 shipping, but even $35 + $12 shipping is a screaming deal for a new 2.4ghz reciver... Its been a while since I looked, but they come up now and then.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can definitely respect that comparing a $200 radio to a $300 radio isn't really fair... I was more responding to the comment that the extra weight of the futaba's was only fooling me into thinking they are a higher quality......

regarless you ask why I need more range... well if all I was doing was track racing the range of the Spektrum would be perfectly fine...However a few of my buddies and myself have been running some DM-1 onroads and have been finding we need alot more range then a Spektrum can offer us... The DM-1 is very big and fast and it eats up space like nothing else I have run.. you see we were trying to find the machines top speed, but we have yet to find an area big enough to actually top them out.... The cars will eat up 250' in the blink of an eye, and unfortunately the Spektrum system just isn't up to the task and because of it several of my buddies have had runaways..... Also sometimes we like to do some big long drag races with our buggies and truggies and during this we have had several runaways with the Spektrums... Yes we are running some pretty good distances, but we do definitely notice that the Spektrums do not have very good range compared to the Futaba's...... I will say this tho, I dont think 2.4 has nearly the range the older FM HRS Futaba's used to..my old FMS radio had unreal range...... Also I think I have noticed that my 3PK has slightly better range then the 4PK does, it may have to do with the fact the 4PK only uses 4 batteries and my 3PK uses 7( or is it 8 ? LOL) .............. Also we noticed that the older 8 cell Spektrum has better range then the D3R does...So it may be that the newer 4 cell radios may not have the same signal strength as the older 8 cell radios......... As it sits right now for me testing my engines by doing top speed runs and long drag races the range of the D3 has been a definite issue..... As I say if all I was doing was racing then it wouldn't be an issue at all....... And I also agree for the dollar the d3 does have alot of features you normally don't see at that price point... my only real gripe is that the range is very poor

Anyways here is a video of my DM-1..in this 250" lot it is hitting 68 MPH and still climbing, at 68 MPH it covers ground extremely fast and you need to have a good range..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGSSyKE3MEE