Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Uniflow tank mystery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Uniflow tank mystery.

My Fox .35 drops from just under 10,000 to about 8,500 from two stroke to four stroke with a 10-6. But I don't know if that helps.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:37 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 4 oz. uniflow tank from Brodak is $15.00 + shipping. I was a bit surprised to see they cost that much (they must be made of gold or something [sm=frown.gif]) never the less, a $20.00 investment in only a fuel tank is not very attractive to me, so I had a look around in my shop and the shop at work. I found a couple of empty 4 oz. Tap Magic oil cans, so I modified one to try as a uniflow tank. I haven't soldered the end cap on yet, I probably won't until I get ready to fly it. My usual C/L field ( beside my house) has 6' standing corn in it right now so it will be this weekend before I can do a actual test flight. In case my pictures aren't clear, the tube with the green plug is the vent, the curved tube coming from the top is the uniflow tube, and the straight tube on the outside edge is the line to the engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86895.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	153675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39566.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	153676  
Old 07-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Brodak sells tank kits, presumably cheaper. I have a box full of old metal tanks and by the time I finish modifying one to suit, I have probably spent more time than you did. Good for you!

Jim
Old 07-14-2004, 11:40 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Iskandar, I don't understand your comment, unless you are talking about using the tank with ram air pressure. Which begs the question: Why not use muffler pressure with the uniflow tank?
I've heard of people angling the vent so that it faces the direction of travel. Not a universal practice, of course.

Why not use muffler pressure? I don't know. A lot of people do, a lot of people don't.

Me, I just use bladders..
Old 07-14-2004, 11:41 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

I'll betcha those corned beef tins would make great tanks, if you could just figure out how to get the beef out first without removing the bottom of the can..

You think those Brodak tanks are expensive -- back when people were flying Slow Combat, you'd buy uniflo chicken hopper tanks for $15, and destroy them in a crash or midair. No wonder I never did fly Slow very much..
Old 07-15-2004, 06:11 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isky,
Where's the beef?

GRRC,
You don't have to use metal tanks. Many (including me) are converting plastic RC clunk tanks to uniflow...much cheaper and infinitely easier to find than metal (excluding home-made ).

George
Old 07-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great when the plastic tanks fit. Many times they are too long.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 AM
green river rc

I finally got a chance to test fly my new homemade uniflow tank. The engine definately ran stronger, but there was no chance af a 4-2-4 break. I made several flights with differant needle settings, I am satisified with the way the tank worked, but will still try a plastic tank conversion. BTW...the muffler caused over heating problems, so I just removed it. Thanks for everyones help!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hadn't paid any attention to your engine. Unless you have the Super Tigre 35 stunt, with an S on the front of the head and a baffle piston, your engine is not supposed to do a 4-2-4. The Super Tigre 35's were high speed high performance engines. Earlier this year a friend flew one on an old silk covered combat airplane. I clocked it at an honest 120MPH. Don't think it was completely stock, however.

Jim
Old 07-23-2004, 11:27 PM
green river rc

Yea your right Jim, no S on my engine. I bought it used when I was 16 years old (17 years ago, YIKES!) and I don't know a much about it.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:18 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: green river rc
Yea your right Jim, no S on my engine. I bought it used when I was 16 years old (17 years ago, YIKES!) and I don't know a much about it.
Time tends to fly, GR. I bought my ST.35 new about 47 years ago...double YIKES!

George
Old 07-25-2004, 10:34 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

George:

ORIGINAL: gcb
I bought my ST.35 new about 47 years ago...double YIKES!
George
Are we to assume your 47 year old ST engine (and you) are still in working condition?

Haw.

Bill.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:26 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: William Robison
Are we to assume your 47 year old ST engine (and you) are still in working condition?

Haw.

Bill.
Yes, though we're both a little weathered on the outside!

The ST is the mid 50's version with the bolt-on front. It has a bushing in the front and a BB in the back. I have a .15 of same vintage (2BB's). The finish on both is a bit tarnished, but the insides are fine.
I think the .15 has plastic (phenolic?) BBs. I believe it was replaced by the Jubilee .15.

George