Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

29% AIR WILD Extra 260 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:49 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 29% AIR WILD Extra 260 ?

Thank you for the information Paul. From what you have mentioned that would be very easy to accomplish.
I have been spoiled by flying with a very light wing loaded plane lately and I am looking for something smaller that would fly similarly. When I receive my 55 I will give you a call.
Ralph
Old 06-17-2006, 12:11 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a really light tail wheel bracket and wheel would help with the BME 55. Also CF rods on the elevator halves would help. I'd put the engine as far forward as possible so the cowling will still fit. According to my rough calculations you'd have to put a 2 pound motor 9 inches more forward than a 3 pound for it to balance the same as the 3 pound. I used 18 inches for the distance of the 3 pound engine from the CG. George Hicks (ETOC champ) did an article on this a year ago or so and I still remember how he did the calc's. I used my BME Edge 30% with a DA 50 for the measurements below. The goal was to show what would have to be shifted around without adding weight.

Dist of 3 pound engine from CG = 18 inches

2 x Dist 2 pound engine from CG = 3x18

Dist 2 pound engine from CG = (3x18)/2 = 27

Dist 2 pound engine - Dist 3 pound engine = 27-18 = 9 inches

So you'd have to move the 2 pound engine 9 inches forward of the 3 pound engine to maintain a 5.5 inch CG (my actual CG). That's why removing all tail weight is a good idea. To keep the 2 pound engine in the same place as the 3 pound engine you'd have to remove 6.26 ounces from the tail wheel area (2x9 = 46 x removed tail weight in pounds). That's hard to do without going pull pull elevator.

Anyway, the BME 55 would be fine but you'd have to add a pound to the engine location if you don't want to do anythng major to the ARF.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:09 AM
AJT

Received my 260 kit this week. Packaging done very well. Almost a PITA to UN-package. Only kidding. No damaged anything! No parts missing everything accounted for. I am very pleased with the over all quality. As good as any ARF I've seen this year. I saw nothing that needs a rebuild (so far). I also received the FUTUBA hardware package from AirWild all the hardware is up to today's standards. Nice package!!
Covering is done very well and cowl paint matches the covering. This plane is purple not blue as it appears on the website, very attractive.
The airframe is LITE!! this plane will have no problem coming in just under 15lbs! should have tremendous weight to power with any of the newer 50cc engine. My plans are to use my Taurus- 52 swinging a Xaor 23x8 prop. Xoar, pronounced ZOR. That's the best combination I've found to date. 6700rpm's on the ground with GREAT down line breaking. Same set-up I use on my BME EDGE III. @ 16 3/4 lbs. Gobs of power! I wonder what it will be like to have a plane with this set-up that weighs almost 2 lbs lighter?
Build should be in the 15 hour range I'm slow. Anyone else would complete the plane in 8 to 10 hrs or less. Over all I pleased with money spent (so far) I'll really know how I feel when it fly's.
AL.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:18 AM
AJT

Plane is ready to fly, 10 hrs to assemble. Flying weight is 14.9 lbs. My BME EDGE III has the exact set up and weighs 16.75 lbs. Should be interesting to say the least. Sunday the 2nd will be the day I maiden it. I set the C.G. right on the wing tube hope that works!
AL.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 AM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.

Good Luck AL, Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 AM
AJT

Maiden went VERY well!! No trim necessary, Airplane flew neutral. This by far is the best flying plane I have ever owned. At 14.9lbs the power is outstanding. Floats in for landings, takes off in about 20 ft under full power. Hover requires about 1/2 throttle. ( still learning 3-D ) so I won't be able to report on that. Knife edge requires a touch of rudder almost none and holding about 2% of up elevator. I think I'll mix that. Vertical up, down required no rudder correction. Inverted flight, No down required. 7 flights in all, Nothing loose and covering still in place. I made no modification to the motor mount or landing gear mount. So far so good.
In my opinion this airplane is an outstanding choice for any 50cc engine! I'm so glad I did not overlook it. I finally made the right choice, ( Money well spend ). Now all I need to do is to burn gas!!.
AL.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:40 PM
JerryBien

ORIGINAL: AJT

Maiden went VERY well!! No trim necessary, Airplane flew neutral. This by far is the best flying plane I have ever owned. At 14.9lbs the power is outstanding. Floats in for landings, takes off in about 20 ft under full power. Hover requires about 1/2 throttle. ( still learning 3-D ) so I won't be able to report on that. Knife edge requires a touch of rudder almost none and holding about 2% of up elevator. I think I'll mix that. Vertical up, down required no rudder correction. Inverted flight, No down required. 7 flights in all, Nothing loose and covering still in place. I made no modification to the motor mount or landing gear mount. So far so good.
In my opinion this airplane is an outstanding choice for any 50cc engine! I'm so glad I did not overlook it. I finally made the right choice, ( Money well spend ). Now all I need to do is to burn gas!!.
AL.
Hi Al,

Glad that everything came out to your satisfactions. Looks like our Extra 260 has found another happy home. That Tarus 52 of yours sounds like a remarkable choice for our Extra. 50cc gas power @ 14.9 lbs., wow ... you will have a blast

If you don't mind me asking, could you PM me with your exact radio and hardware setup to come to 14.9 lbs. I would like to keep tab of our airplane's finished weight with different power plant and setup.

Once again, thanks for the kind words. Have fun!

Jerry Bien
[link=http://www.airwildhobbies.com]AirWild Hobbies[/link]
Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.

Hey every one, here is a pic of my brother flying the 29% AirWild 260.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:58 PM
[email protected]

Any more AW260 owners out their? I am looking at one but would like to see some more owners info. Maybe some VIDEO?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.

Here is the video on the AirWild site.
http://www.airwildhobbies.com/MoreIn...&level=2&id=43
Old 07-15-2006, 11:37 PM
[email protected]

Yes i have seen that. I would like to see some from modelers that have purchased the plane.
Thanks
Robert
Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Jeffery Szueber Jr.

OK, sorry. I figured you did but just making sure.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM
extratorker
My Feedback: (8)

Just wanted to chime in here. I happened to be at the same field as AJT yesterday and got a chance to fly his Extra. I've got to say for a 50cc airplane, this is one of the best I've ever flown. It flys light, but yet sticks and grooves great for IMAC. Needed some very minor mixing for rudder coupling but that was it. Zero wing rock in harriers, elevators came straight down by just holding full up elevator.

I've been looking for a 50cc bird and honestly never even thought about this one till yesterday. I'm sold and will definitley be getting one. I'm pretty sure there was some video taken and hopefully will have it posted soon.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:22 PM
sky raider

Has anyone put a tuned pipe in this plane?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:46 PM
JerryBien

There is no provision for installation of tune pipe in this airplane. In all honesty it does not require one.

We designed this airplane to be very light, and to have tremendous amount of power-to-weight ratio with any reasonable 40~50cc aerobatic gas engine. Objective was to keep things simple, light and affordable. I believe we have accomplished this beyond expectations.

Personally I see only two reasons to require tune pipe;
1. noise - which for 50cc. size airplanes it is not a problem (provided you stay away from props with thin blades which often results in loud prop noise)
2. extra RPM - only if your plane is too heavy for the stock engine/muffler setup. There are many 50-size planes built with provision for tune pipe. If you pay close attention, those airplanes are often smaller size planes with heavier finished weight than ours. I am not knocking others. I am only saying that "with our plane tune pipe is really not necessary".

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Jerry Bien
AirWild
Old 07-30-2006, 04:16 PM
echavi9325

I have a nicely broken in ZDZ 60 looking for a new home.Has anybody out there have that combo
Old 07-30-2006, 04:52 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll probably need the rudder servo mounted in the tail and use good throttle management. Also the big prop will need to clear the ground.

ORIGINAL: echavi9325

I have a nicely broken in ZDZ 60 looking for a new home.Has anybody out there have that combo
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 PM
sky raider

Thanx for your input JerryBien. I appreciate your help man. The only reason that I asked is because the initial installation looked a little messy. I hate to cut that much out of the cowl if I don't have to. Ya know what I mean.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:38 PM
JerryBien

ORIGINAL: echavi9325

I know one customer is doing a Brison 4.2 setup. [X(]
Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM
JerryBien

ORIGINAL: sky raider

Thanx for your input JerryBien. I appreciate your help man. The only reason that I asked is because the initial installation looked a little messy. I hate to cut that much out of the cowl if I don't have to. Ya know what I mean.
I is not really the fault of the stock muffler that requires cutting much of the cowl. Of course it certainly does airplane no justice when one has to remove a chunk of the cowl just so that unsightly can sticks out on the side.

Actually for proper airflow through the cowl you do need approximately 1.5X ~ 2X the area for air outlet vs. inlet. Unfortunately that also means cutting more into a good looking cowl.

Jerry Bien
AirWild
Old 08-02-2006, 01:06 PM
EAGLE PILOT
My Feedback: (3)

Jerry, I have a ZDZ 40 RV with a ES Composites tuned pipe 27"L and 2"D. Would it be possible to accomodate this pipe?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
JerryBien

ORIGINAL: EAGLE PILOT

Jerry, I have a ZDZ 40 RV with a ES Composites tuned pipe 27"L and 2"D. Would it be possible to accomodate this pipe?
Unfortunately NO. Sorry ![]

Jerry Bien
AirWild
Old 08-03-2006, 05:44 AM
AJT

echavi9325
This plane is smoking with a Taurus-52. A ZDZ-60 will blister it! After a few weeks of flying I can report the plane is holding up well. Nothing has falling off or broken due to it's light weight design. Not to mention our field is a little on the rough side. 289acre open field. All other ARF's that I have flown here have forced me to rebuild the landing gear block. The Airwild 260 has no sign of coming loose! (Even with a few bouncy landings.) When this under 15lb little monster catches on there will be a lot of happy flyers out there.
AL.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:24 AM
lockjaw-express
My Feedback: (36)

Anyone,

Where are you setting the CG? 128mm is at the center of the wing tube.

Should I go with 140mm or the max of 149mm CG???

Any help would be great!

BR, Mark
Old 08-04-2006, 05:38 AM
AJT

I started out at the center of the wing tube to be safe! I have been moving my ignition battery pack aft of the tube a little at a time. I'm still a tad nose heavy. The plane fly's so good I may just leave it where it is. Hope this helps.
AL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.