Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Bombers in Texas...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Bombers in Texas...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 12:19 AM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bombers in Texas...

Jack, Thanks for your kind words. I was a pleasure spending time with you and Danni again. Im currently deep into the rebuild and the 109 is responding to treatments well. Ive already cleaned all the mud out of the airframe(no small chore), removed all the components, rebuilt the rudder, repaired the cracks in the tail section with carbon fiber layups on the inside, and I have polished all the scratches out of the clear sections of the opening part of the canopy which miraculously survived relatively intact. If all goes well, I should have the fuselage back together by the end of this weekend. Another bit of good news is that I think I will be able to save the wing with the broken spar stub by cutting out most of the spar and installing a new one, saving a ton of work. If there is interest ? I will do a rebuild series on the webpage documenting the repair process.
Anybody interested?
Evan Q.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:15 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Heck yes! I don't know you, but I watched the mishap on Sat. and felt your pain, as I am sure many of us did. Glad to hear that you have it on the run. I for one would love to see the rebuild in progress. I think it would be fitting to see this amazing bird rehabilitated. All in all it was a great event, and as sad as losing(temporarily) such a fine plane is, it will fly again from the sound of it. Congrats! I look forward to seeing it next year boring holes in the Texas sky. Hopefully sunlit sky!

Peace!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:21 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes Evan...keep us posted. You do great work. I have the unfortunate association of knowing how you must feel; having lost 1/3 of my fleet in one weekend at Bomber Field in 2002. We all remember that....right? I commend you on the rebuild. I am curious tho, what did you use to polish out the scratches in the canopy. I havenot had much success with the things I have tried. Best of luck....Jeff
Old 09-26-2003, 04:49 PM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Jeff, I use Mequiar's mirror glaze clear plastic cleaner no. 17 which has a fine abrasive and meguiar's clear plastic polish no. 10 which works fairly well and will take shallow scratches out. Deeper ones have to be hit with 1000 grit paper and then polished out. Takes some elbow grease but its easier than making new canopy glass.
I got it at the same store I buy my PPG paints from.
Evan Q.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:11 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

I'll check it out...Thx Evan

Jeff
Old 09-27-2003, 12:12 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Lenny.... let me guess that when you were saying something about you really admiring a bigB25, that you must have surelly been referring to this one??? I didn't know who's it was, or where it came from, but figured it was sure worth the memory if I only had one picture to pose for.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75938.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	63976  
Old 09-27-2003, 03:47 AM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

10-4 on that, I had a little 109in one. On one flight we had 6 twins in the air at once. The BIG 25, my little 25, a Mosquito, a B26 Marauder, A Heinkel 219 and an ME-110. My son flew mine so I could spot and see everything....Lenny
Old 09-27-2003, 11:35 AM
airrc

You're right......not enough air speed and it torque rolled in. Evan spent almost 2 years building that plane, excellent pilot but went left on take off, lost speed in the wet grass and he didn't want to hit the barbed wire fence so he rotated too quick.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:46 AM
Scalebuff

In reply to clearning the canopy i would like to add my 2 cents

ive used a car paint paste over here in the UK its called farecla, its meant to CUT paint work back on cars, good thing is you can get it in lots of different GRADES, i keep 3 grades at hand cleans anything up like that with ease..

back on topic

grate tom hear the rebuild is going to plan evan, and please put the rebuild on your site, it would be grate seing it come back to life