Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

ugh this is a liiittle depressing, guys

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

ugh this is a liiittle depressing, guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ugh this is a liiittle depressing, guys

Well, from her perspective this is just as bad.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:51 PM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad, I didn't know there were any that expensive, which ones cost similarly if I may ask?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

ORIGINAL: foxy42

Last year was a heavy year for me, over $10,000, this year will not be like that. By the way, large scale gas cars are definitely more expensive than planes. [:-]
Tisk tisk Foxy seems you have been misinformed.

I have a Extra 35% that cost about 5,000 to put together. 7-8 servos not included the throttle and a car needs 1 and then another high speed for throttle. There are no 5,000 dollar cars on the market that I know of.
Well, yeh, take it to the ultimate level, and of course... a 35% extra is a HUGE plane, easily 10 times the size of even the large scale trucks (area). I'm talking about general levels here. There are of course many cars that have more than $5000 in them, hell I've got a 1/10th touring car with $2000 in it. There are large scale cars that will set you back $5000 and more, but I don't really mean them either. I did a lot of research about planes at the end of last year and nearly bought one. Suffice it to say I was shocked to find that generally, they are cheaper then cars. Certainly to buy airframes, ARF, RTF. Anyway, yeh, I do see what you mean. I still may get a plane this year at some point, but it will be a trainer to start with. The trainer up and running, with 6ch radio and everything, will be 350E in the air. I never had a car that cheap.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

My bad, I didn't know there were any that expensive, which ones cost similarly if I may ask?
A custom Baja 5b can run you $5000, but that's with custom machining and all sorts of crazy crap, you're right there are no 'off the shelf' cars that I know of that will run the same as your Extra. Maybe a couple of the pro 1/5th touring cars can run that much, I don't know.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of the competition cars and trucks by Harm, Lauterbacher, FG, Contrast, Kamitiro, etc. When in RTR state with some option parts $5000 is easy.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:13 PM
The Hedgehog

I get your point guys, I read into it too much I see your point a cheaper plane can be had for 200 bucks, nitro maybe 300 ish after everything is installed. I guess I have been flying planes so long that my planes are getting much more expensive than my cars, but I am at the other end of the spectrum. I do not race so I don't have all of the expensive car equipment. Well I do not race cars that is [8D]

I guess it is no use comparing to two hobbies, I am sorry if I sounded smug I just wanted to let people know airplanes can be expensive also.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:22 PM
My Name Is Brad

I dont have or make that much money because I dont have a job (im almost 16), but when I do have money, it usually goes to rc now that I am back into this hobby. My parents arent crazy about rc car parts prices but I just tell them that spending money on rc cars is better than spending my money on drugs.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Xtfreak

Last year was a heavy year for me, over $10,000, this year will not be like that. By the way, large scale gas cars are definitely more expensive than planes.
Hey Foxy where do you work?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM
TommyGun24

Yep sure is an expensive hobby theres no doubt about that.

My car, a Kyosho IGT, didnt cost all that much (relatively) to buy, but just to get it running properly it needs hop ups. Then to hop it up the way i want $1000 is a VERY conservative estimate. Thats not including getting gears fabricated, which put it this way, i regularly get packing plates for locks made up at $70 a peice, and that just a piece of steel with a few holes cut in it. So i gonna have to (good excuse, iv always wanted one) buy a mill. You could say its going to "pay for itself" quickly, but if i didnt have a car i wouldnt need gears in the first place would i

Then i want an MT which ofcourse is going to cost just as much in hop ups again so i dont think thats happening in a while .. oh and a digital camera and video camera, i can blame the IGT for forcing me to buy those essentail items aswell because as some famous philosopher dude once said, if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, did it make a sound ?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:15 PM
ferrarimk13

atleast its not that bad as my uncle is with hunting. he spends well over $30,000 for his beretta guns, and has about 6. i hope he'll buy me one when i get my license and start hunting with him otherwise, i just borrow my cousin's beretta. ontop of those guns, he has 25 more, so hand carved out of ivory, some original double barrels from the 50s, and some other companies. this guy has the money to spend, so he does, lol
Old 01-13-2008, 01:05 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

ORIGINAL: sheograth

:| A $500 engine I didnt need just arrived

ha yeah tell me about it i have my info saved to my account, and my son decided he wanted to buy a new 1/5 baja 5b and a spektrum dx3. while i was at work. [:@]
i didnt know he had done anything untill i had a giant box sitting on my door step. i sent the dx3 back, but kept the baja for myself and gave him my brushless mlst2.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Xtfreak

Last year was a heavy year for me, over $10,000, this year will not be like that. By the way, large scale gas cars are definitely more expensive than planes.
Hey Foxy where do you work?
I don't believe in telling workplaces online, as it gives a high degree of traceability, especially if you represent a large high profile company as I do. Suffice it to say I work for one of the big 4 consultancies. I'm an IT consultant, Security consultant (wintel, midrange and mainframe), and IS auditor. At the end of last year I audited the information systems of one of the largest companies in the world for legal IT security compliance and the IS standard known as SoX. It's quite a big deal, as the information I (my team) provide, is what gives the stock market comfort in the financial figures coming from the financial audits. I make sure that there is no possibility that fraud is occurring, and that the systems can't easily be breached or attacked. I don't get as much money as it sounds like I might, I'm a frontline soldier if you like, it's my managers and partners that rake it in. I've been a professional PC and Networks tech since the age of 12.

It's bizarre actually, even though I have a very good job, I am eclipsed entirely by my 26 year old girlfriend, who has her own company and makes silly money. What are ya gonna do!? At least I can say I got where I am today completely on my own, she inherited her company, but she runs it very well, better than her father before her. Anyway, the result is that we are comfortable and I can spend large percentages of my own money on my hobbies.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
ferrarimk13

haha, easy enough for you to say, lol. hey savage man, how old is your son? thats cool, and must suck at the same time, he just dropped like $1200 behind you lol
Old 01-13-2008, 04:39 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

he's 8
Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
evil

I was using a program called flight log for awhile got to 36,000 odd dollars and stopped using it.
On the other hand i have got 10 nitro Helis. 5 electric Helis. 3 nitro on road cars. 3 nitro off road. 2 nitro rail drag cars.
All of them are complete and ready to go.
I think its better not knowing how much you spend... Its to Scarry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17103.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	850374  
Old 02-24-2008, 12:37 PM
kbreese

Wow, some of you people need help, LOL. Relatively speaking, this is not an expensive hobby. Only if you make it that way. You can make anything expensive. And what the heck is the point in having 15 heli's? Seems more like a sickness than anything remotely (no pun intended) rational.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:20 PM
qaiz

Lol

You guys get a lot for a thousand, convert our currency, AED into Dollars and check out what it comes too.

Invoice of my Hyper ST, thats it. Came to a lil' bit over $1000.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
justinep

eesh! I've been bad since Dec 07. I've laid out over $2,700 since Dec and probably $1,900 for all of last year. I just calculated my rc spending since 2000 and stopped when I hit 13k. I run Helis, Planes and cars/ trucks but, this $2,700 was just for cars/ trucks. I just made another $300 order from Tower yesterday too. When spring comes and I dust off the planes and helis my credit card will catch fire again. My wife can't even walk into my workshop without getting sick and looking at me like a puppy that just crapped on the new white rug! haha
Old 02-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Itsme7

Rc is addicting and expensive, lol. This month i did about $1700 in spending, not sure on the other years but im in the $10k+ range now with everything i have. Gotta slow down and buy a car and some other fun things.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 PM
mikeb093

wow, i spent 150 on a evader and im saving for a motor shocks and some wheels and tires you guys are crazy for spending 5000 on a cheap fun hobby. sorta cheap hat collecting is cheaper lol
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 PM
quadzilla122

OMG i spend $20 like evey two months on rc.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Hockey.Dad

what you spend is all relative to what you make. if I make 30G a year and blow 5G on RC its crazy but bump the salary up to say 85-90 and 5 grand on RC is just having a few toys to have fun with.

That being said I have a few planes the most expensive money and time wise being a 1/6 spitfire about 400 hours and $2500. I also have nitro off road stuff as do my 2 boys 10 & 12 year olds. Some one mentioned hunting I do that as well and it aint cheap either 10-15 guns, gear, clothes, 2-3...10 day long trips a year it all adds up.

Having a hobby isn't about the money or lack there of, its about doing something that you find fun, relaxing (well most of the time, maiden flights are not relaxing at all), and in my case with the off road stuff doing something that my boys and I can do together as friends not just as Dad and Son.

As my name is Brad put it at least I'm not blowing the money on booze or drugs.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 AM
Phelansa

ORIGINAL: Hockey.Dad

As My_name_is_Brad put it, at least I'm not blowing the money on booze or drugs.
Excellent point!!! I wonder if I could get my wife to believe that?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:59 AM
racefans26

!!!!!Warning!!!!!!! This hobby is not a hobby it is acctualy an addiction, it is simply camo'ed to look cheap...
For help with your adiction please donate your R/C supplies, cars,trucks,planes,helis,
and whatever else you got. TO ME!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also a heavy hunter so throw some of your guns and gear in the box also.....
Old 02-25-2008, 06:41 PM
kbreese

LOL, nice try racefans.

Yeah, To each their own, and it's all relative. It does NOT have to be expensive by any means. Again, it's only expensive if you make it that way. You don't have to have 15 guns or 15 R/C vehicles and they don't have to be of the highest caliber to enjoy those hobbies. Either can be very cheap to partake in, especially if you are good at finding good deals on used stuff. One Example, you can get a single used Evader for $100, and enjoy the R/C hobby. In terms of hunting as one example, I saw a beautiful 1978 Remington Wingmaster 12 ga for sale for $150. Buy some cheapo cammo (optional actually) and shells and your good to go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.