Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Just getting back into hobby w/kids

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think An ECX Torment SC Brushless is a good option to start out with kids.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
you can actually get a clone of the rc18 called the propulse. the buggy version comes RTR for $57 shipped on ebay. For a time, they were sold at radioshack. They are entry-level hobby grade...ESC/servo/radio/motor are all standard 1/18 scale hobby stuff. The battery pack is a bit odd, but otherwise they are basically the same as most common 1/18 4wd chassis.

There is also the ECX smash. It is a longer version of the losi mini T. It shares many of the same parts. nearly all mini T hop ups (and there are a ton of them) work on the smash.
original ones came with a "AA" battery holder....way slow.
now they come with a normal 7.2v nimh battery.
$83 shipped RTR (batt and charger) which aint bad.
2wd and not 4wd like the rc18, but not as expensive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb5KeABs8WI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrix-RC-...item5af45b64f7

cheapest I found the rc18 on ebay was $120...that was for the buggy version, and no battery included.
In actuality the propulse is about as much of a clone of the RC18 as the ECX torment(or any 2wd SCT) is a clone of the HPI Blitz In all seriousness unless you modify the parts(quite heavily too) nothing will fit, and outside arms, body, and tires I have yet to find anything that can be modded to work.

Now saying the HPI recon is a clone of the propulse is alright as 99% of the parts fit with 0 mods what so ever the only difference is the chassis is slightly different at the motor mount, but seriously out of 50 pieces or so there's only 2 parts that are slightly different others are literally 100% carbon copies.

As for the RC18b it can go offroad fine, I've driven mine through grass that was freshly cut. It did slow it down drastically, but didn't get stuck.
HPI Recon is a piece of crap in a box. Only thing good on it is the radio the rest is unfit for purpose.