Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Thinning Epoxy

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Thinning Epoxy

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 02:31 PM
RJConnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinning Epoxy

Years ago I used to work in an electronics component factory where we used a lot of epoxy for encapsulating components (transformers, circuits, Etc.). The only thinning agent we used was
Toluene, worked great as I remember. [8D]........ RJ
Old 11-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hi, Ernie. Surprisingly, Acetone is tolerated better than the Denatured Alcohol. The comment about the industrial use of Tolulene is absolutely correct. It will thin epoxy handily. But, it is VERY TOXIC when compared to Acetone or Denatured Alcohol. I believe that the rapid evaporation rate of Acetone lessens the absorption rate, but I wouldn't immerse my hands in it to prove a point! I would never, ever, consider using Tolulene, just too toxic ( I even hate to use Coverite's "Ironex" which is Tolulene repackaged for hobbyists[at a much higher price than commercially available Tolulene]to clean my covering irons because of this, and the lousy smell it has. Another thought, my Wife is a Biologist and supervisor of our State's virus testing facility. She uses Acetone routinely in many of the tests/procedures they conduct. To date, no problems with her staff regarding use of it(they do wear latex gloves). Also, Acetone is used by the Medical community as well. I think its safe for our use, of course ensure to use good common sense(well ventilated area, minimal skin exposure) and you won't have a problem. Re. nail polish remover: it will debond CA easily, but compared to straight Acetone, it stinks! (also, some brands add emollients[oils] and fragrances which will cause problems if used to thin epoxy.) Take care, and good luck with your projects...
Old 11-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Ernie Misner

Starfighter, that is a very informative post! I feel better about using acetone now. Thank you. While we have you cornered, what is your take on the difference between acetone and CA debonder??

Thanks!

Ernie
Old 11-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Starfighter

Hi, Ernie. Re. Acetone vs. CA Debonder: Believe it or not, the BEST CA Debonder available is "ULTRA SUPER SOLVENT" from Golden West (and avail. from OMNI Models mailorder/online). This solvent WILL remove the OLDEST/HARDEST CA spills you have. It also works great removing epoxy and paint spills, both fresh and cured material!
Also, a while back I spilled some CA on my reading glasses(polycarbonate lenses). I had no idea how to remove it, so I took them to the dealer for repair/replacement. She took one look, said no problem, and in less than 5 min. the CA was gone! Of course I asked how she did it. She replied that she used CA Debonder MIXED with Alcohol to do it. She then explained that the raw CA Debonder will cloud/discolor the polycarbonate, but mixing it with Alcohol renders it a little less reactive to the plastic without lessening its effectiveness. So, to prove a point, I HAD to try this trick, and guess what, IT WORKS!! So, next time you spill that CA on clear plastic of any sort, grab the "Super Solvent" and the bottle of Alcohol with confidence you can deal with the problem.
NOTE: By "mixing", all you have to do is first soak a soft cloth with the CA Debonder, then apply a small amount of the Alcohol(Isopropyl works OK ) and wipe/rub gently till the CA spill is removed. Works GREAT on Canopies, too, REALLY...
Take care and go have some fun...
Old 11-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Star, I sure as heck will try that combination! More often it will just be for removing CA that has dribbled someplace on the plane.

Any clue what the difference is between ordinary CA debonder and acetone? Some folks say they are interchangable....

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 12-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Shawn Miller

Great Forum Guys!

Just getting ready to reinforce a cowl. Fun job....[:'(]

Thanks for the tips, we'll see how it goes.

Shawn
Old 12-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Starfighter

Hi, Ernie. Haven't visited this post in a while and didn't realize you posed a question to me. Re. the CA debonders vs. Acetone...
MOST of the commercially available CA Debonders use Acetone as their base, EXCEPT "Ultra Super Solvent" . "Ultra Super Solvent" is a Nitromethane based formula(I believe its 95-97% Nitro) plus denatured alcohol. This is why I believe it is so good, it WILL debond anything!

Re. Nail Polish remover: It will work, but not as well as straight Acetone. You see, most Nail Polish removers are mixed with Isopropyl Alcohol plus a fragrance or emollient; and because of this they don't cut the CA as fast, or as completely.

IMHO the very BEST CA debonder is "Ultra Super Solvent" from Golden West (also brought us the original CA's - "Hot Stuff").
So, Ernie and others, PLEASE pick up a bottle of this from Omni Models, you will be amazed at how great it works, and how versatile in use it really is...
Old 12-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Ernie Misner

Thank you Starfighter. Nitormethane.... very interesting. This should open up topics like exploding debonder!, or .... need power?, the amazing debonder fuel additive! ..... or mom, try this nail polish remover!

Ernie
Old 12-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Starfighter

Hi Ernie, Ken here(Starfighter). ..."Exploding" debonder... Naw, "Ultra Super Solvent" will not gell or explode (unless, of course, one places it in the vicinity of an open flame, as with ANY flammable substance).

Also, don't try using it as an additive to your fuel (been there, done that).

THe "Ultra Super Solvent" is very stable(use it ALL of the time, store it on the shelf in my shop in the basement) and consistent in application. The fact is that CA's (and some Epoxies) will break down in the presence of high nitro content liquids(30% or greater), and the "Super Solvent " is based on a very high percentage of nitro and it works as advertised.

Unless one were to order direct from Golden West Industries (also supply "Hot Stuff" CA), it is available from Omni Models either by mail or Internet. I think it costs something like $5.36 bottle. Expensive, but it really is the BEST product on the market today for debonding CA.

THis is a GREAT discussion thread. Take care, Happy Holidays and may Santa grant your wishes!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:59 AM
Propwash in Pa

I have never chemically thinned epoxy. I use a heat gun (hair dryer would do) and just warm it. The viscosity changes quickly and is very easy to work. This is the technique used for applying layers of glass.