Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aeroworks Katana

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:17 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aeroworks Katana

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

Well, found an issue with mine while cleaning it today. It appears that the stab tube has a considerable amount of slop in it now. I can grap the edge of the stab on either side and move it up and down a bit more than 1/8", so going to have to figure out a way to get the slop out, any ideas? Its not the anti-rotation dowl, just the stab tube.
I think you mean the aluminum tube is loose in the socket and not the socket being loose in the fuselage.....mine from the factory is horrible....won't even attempt to fly it that way.....a good way to help remove the slop is to used Monokote to cover the tube where it fits into the socket....cover it and shrink it up tight.....use as many layers as you need.....seems to work well and doesn't get sticky and gooey like tape will....if (when) it wears out, spent 5 minutes as re-cover it.....
Old 05-12-2004, 03:42 PM
chtalbert
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get it ready for the weekend. We can't wait to fly it!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:05 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you work? I'll need your standoff's...

ORIGINAL: chtalbert

Just get it ready for the weekend. We can't wait to fly it!
Old 05-23-2004, 11:26 AM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22406.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	135302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80777.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	135303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76281.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	135304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99317.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	135305  
Old 05-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

What's the weight and your engine?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:59 PM
flyinrazrback

26lbs 4oz, Using a DA 100 with a Prince 27x10
Old 08-04-2004, 10:03 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

I dug this thread up, so maybe ypu can help me out. I have a new in box big yellow arf in my garage waiting to be assembled. Would you mind to make a list of all the mods you did to the plane?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:20 PM
flyinrazrback

No prob. Strip all the covering off and resand it and recover it so it looks right. Make sure the canopy fits (mine was way too big), make sure the hatch fits. I changed the wing hold down to inside the fuse by gluing a hardwood block in the root of the wing and screwing in and expoxing a 10/32 brass insert in it. Replaced the wingtube with a carbon fiber one to save some weight, used a carbon gear and saved 10oz. This airplane can easily come out 29-30lbs if you dont put it on a diet and use all the stock stuff. I used Kavan tires. The wings are built up and sheeted, not foam, but still elected to use B&B giant scale CA hinges and they havent and are not coming out. Got my wingbags and tail covers from rcwingbags.com that are custom made for that plane unlike aeroworks. They were $150 shipped to me, and should have the info on file for anyone else to get a set. I replaced the landing gear block, it was some cheap ply partical board glued together and broke, didnt realize it was broke until we recovered the plane and noticed it, so replaced it with some real wood. If you use the stock plate, just try to reinforce it. I know this soundsl like a lot but this was by far the worst arf I have ever seen. It flys good now that its been completley re-worked and recovered with monokote. Whoever built mind didnt know how to take balsa dust off the wing prior to covering it. It took maybe 30 minutes to strip all the covering off because of that. What motor are you putting on it? With a DA 100 and regular mufflers, servos pull/pull it came out tail heavy enough when you flipped over inverted it started climbing pretty good, so I put a set of mtw headers and cans on it to shift the weight forward a bit to tame it down. Even with the cans, I am only at 27lbs on the dot. Let me know if you have any other questions. If it was my money I would send the box back and get a Stans Fibertech Katana, a lot better airplane.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:10 AM
capthis

Hey thanks. I am going to keep it as I have always wanted a katana, although I swore I wouldn't buy another aeroworks airplane after the edge arf I had. The quality was OK but nothing compared to the cheaper H9 line of big arf's. I will most likely be using my 3W-100 so my balance should come out OK, as it weighs about 1/2 pound more than the DA. I will wait on the rudder servos till last as well. Are you sure the wing is built up? I think the ailerons are but the root of the wing is foam. I can see it! I will make the wing mods, as I hate using bolts into the wing tube. I have a carbon wing tube but it is about 4 inches to short! [:'(] So I will prolly just use the stock one. This isn't the nicest arf out there, but I think I can get it going without too much problem. That covering thing doesn't make me feel to good though!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:37 PM
flyinrazrback

If the 100 weighs 1/2lb more, you will be more than fine moving the rudder to pull/pull, and that will make the balance right on. I added about 1/2lb up front with the cans and it balances perfect now. You can use that wing tube even though its a few inches short. The wing tube that comes with it is very long, longer than some 40%s I have seen. Just measure it out and put a clamp around the phenolic tube in the fuse so it doesnt move. The wing is built up, but has foam cores in between the ribs, found this out when crushed a small part of the wing picking it up and had to fix it when recovering it. I meant not a foam sheeted wing, my bad. If you take the time and just buy the matching ultracote and recover it, it wont take that long and think you would be happier with the finish. Mine needed serious sanding as you could see each balsa sheet glued to the next one and not sanded, so on top of the covering you could see a bunch of lines. The airplane flys awesoms, you will like it! Best 3D and IMAC plane I have flown, just needed quite a bit of work to get it there. I think for the quality of the arf, a price of $595 or such is more in order, not $995. I agree H9 Arfs are pretty darn good, thought of getting their new Edge coming out for something else to play with or an EF Yak. PS, on my rudder setup, I put the swb tray with 2 8611s in the spot that has cutouts already for rudder servos.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Dave763
My Feedback: (1)

Here are a few pics of mine. The sanding and covering are not perfect, but I see no reson to recover it.
I have a carbon wing tube on the way,carbon main and tail gear.
For power 3W 106QS w/ a 28-10 air wild and nova spinner. 3W cannisters.
The motor box is built square with SWB mount providing the right thrust.
9 1\8'' dowels pin the firewall to the sides and bottom of the box. Then wrapped with fiberglass cloth.
One s148 on the throttle.Six 5645s on the elevators and ailerons.Two 5735s on the rudder, I will try to achive proper balance with the placment of these.
I set threaded inserts in the root of each wing, rather than the bolts through the wing tube method.
Blind mounted the cowl, looks nice and clean.
Robart hinge points 9 on each aileron, 6 in each elevator half, and 5 in the rudder. Pilot and dash panel from aeroworks.
No problems so far, still waiting for stuff

Name:	Fd92018.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	161261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47325.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	161262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32734.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	161263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25831.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	161264  
Old 08-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Dave763

A few more

Name:	Pm34994.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	161265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61367.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	161266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86036.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	161267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf97063.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	161268  
Old 08-06-2004, 04:03 PM
flyinrazrback

Looks good, are you going to have to cut a hole on the left side of the cowl for the plug wire?
Old 08-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Dave763

I dont think so, looks like there is just enough room.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Dave763

I'm growing old waiting for the main gear from graphtec, hope it comes soon.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:39 PM
flyinrazrback

Dont hold your breath, took me over a month after ordering mine to get it. What is sort of sad is the gear aw sent me for it was a graphtech carbon gear for a 31% extra, and its a little weak but hard to break (had a couple good licks on it and never broke) so I called graphtech and they said thats not the gear and they would send me the correct gear. I get the new gear finally and its about 99% the same as the 31% gear, but appeared and felt weaker than the 31% gear, so I kept the 31% gear on it and left the new one off.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Dave763

I want to fly it this year, I hope I get it soon. The season is so short here in NY, it sucks, makes me want to move somewhere warm, just to rooted here with the kids and jobs...mabey someday...sigh[&o]
You've got me excited about flying this plane (3Ds like its on crack) LOL...

Thanks for the help and ideas, Dave
Old 08-06-2004, 05:11 PM
flyinrazrback

Well, you could always move down here to Louisiana, this week was only 97-100 all week with heat index up to 110 a few days, oh, did I mention the 85% humidity too? The plane will fly fine, no worries, just fix the little stuff and you will be ok.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:37 PM
c016Y

capthis.. are you still flying your katana? What do you think about it?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:28 PM
capthis

ORIGINAL: c016Y

capthis.. are you still flying your katana? What do you think about it?
Nope, I sold it. I will NEVER buy another Aeroworks product again. Period. Even if they become the only company to produce model airplanes I will just have to quit flying I guess.

My 36% kat arf was the biggest piece of crap I have evenr owned. Period! I could give you the run down, but lets just say the quality is substandard by a long shot. I think my plane was put together by blind monkeys with no thunbs! [:@]

I bought a carden 35% 330 kit to build. That way I control the quality.

And I do plan on talking with Rocco, or Kevin or both about their products at Toledo this year! I will be civial, but I want them to know first hand how disapointed I am in their product.

And what really irritated me, is I buy mine, for one price then a month later whn I go to sell it aeroworks has dropped their price 200 bucks. [:@][:@][:@][:@]I took a good butt kicking on selling it, but I was glad to be rid of it.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Dave763

Bryan, you sold your OMP GS Edge MVVS 2.15 I have the same plane I would not sell it unless the price was right. You sold your Katana, I'm keeping mine.Kinda funny.
Sorry your Aeroworks Katana was such a POS. So far I like mine. It seems to me that if you sell alot of planes, you can get a bad one once in awhile. I will admit I have seen better ARFs.The Katana I have is built light, looks like lasar cut swiss cheese.
I hope the 87" Yak(EF) I have coming is as nice as I hear.We will see.

Dave
Old 02-06-2005, 10:15 PM
c016Y

Wow.. that worries me. I have one of these. It all looks ok. Please do tell me what all was wrong so I can at least strengthen the right parts. So far I have heard bad things from about 5 people and good things from 1. I hope there is someone else out there that likes this plane. Anyways. I would like to know your experience so I will know what I have in front of me. Not looking to bash.. just honestly need to know what mods to make. Thanks for your reply capthis.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:53 PM
capthis

ORIGINAL: Dave763

Bryan, you sold your OMP GS Edge MVVS 2.15 I have the same plane I would not sell it unless the price was right. You sold your Katana, I'm keeping mine.Kinda funny.
Sorry your Aeroworks Katana was such a POS. So far I like mine. It seems to me that if you sell alot of planes, you can get a bad one once in awhile. I will admit I have seen better ARFs.The Katana I have is built light, looks like lasar cut swiss cheese.
I hope the 87" Yak(EF) I have coming is as nice as I hear.We will see.

Dave
Dave, the omp edge was a good plane I was just simply wanting something else at the time. I have several other omp planes, and have great success with them. I have a hybrid built right now that I am covering. I hope it is a little more agile than the big profile edge.

The EF Yak 87 is an awsome arf. My good flying buddy got one of the first 20, and I got to help some! You will not be disappointed here.

You have to understand I had my heart set on that Kat as the plane I wanted the most out of all the choices out there. It looked good when I first looked through it. It wasn't until I started assembling it that things got ugly.

My wing tube was bent right smack dab in the middle. The cowling was very flimsey, and was "wavy" (sides were not straight) It looked like the body job that a 15 year old kid would do to his old rusted out mustang or something. One wing was much heavier than the other. The leading edge balsa was very stiff, while the other one was easliy broken by picking it up. I could see huge grain marks underneath the surface of the covering, the wings didn't fit flush to the fuse, It had metal to metal contact on the wing alignmnet pins of which were not securley glued.

And the covering job was done by bling monkeys. I could see where there was balsa dust underneath the covering, and it sure could have been sanded better. Also several seams were facing the wrong way. A good way to get the covering to lift and blow off.

I am not bashing arf's. Ilove arf's for the value, and the time spent flying. I have owned the H9 sukhoi, and also the H9 cap. Both are much better quality and cheaper to boot.

Oh, and the stab tube was loose, but that's typical aeroworks for ya. My 33% edge arf was loose as was a good bussies 31% edge arf from them. Both of those plane were of better quality however over the kat.

You asked!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Dave763

Wow ,you did have alot of stuff wrong with your Katana,I don't blame you for selling it. My stab tube was loose on my Extra as well as this Katana. From the post's I've read this is common with Aeroworks. I have The 40 sized accel Kat and the OMP 47" Edge and 47" Yak As well as the GS edge.Gotta love those profiles!
I think I will be flying those alot this year.

Dave, Pro Bro 723
Old 02-07-2005, 11:41 AM
c016Y

I did ask and I really appreciate you writing all that up. I bought mine for the $795 price and I hope that I can make enough mods to make it last for a while and still have it at a good price point. I know I will have my work cut out for me inspecting and making sure it is sound, but, it still is worth it to me as it was the only way I could get into a plane of this size at this time. So.. did you bother even getting it up into the air.. or.. did you sell it before you ever flew it?

Dave.. you mention your stab was loose.. what did you do to secure it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.