Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Sig

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Varad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig

Okay i remember the tether cars. On some website, i saw a video of them doing 200mph. And it was 200mph, ( It wasnt slow).
Does anyone know how much these tether cars cost? Im guessing they run on 1000000% Nitro fuel and the engine is shot after one run though.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:18 PM
jessiej

What I meant (as I am sure most know) is that many of the cox CL models are too heavy to fly well, if at all. Some will never leave the ground, but just go round & round in circles on the ground, just like a tether car.
I knew what you ment, Andrew. My first job when I was about 11 was in the LHS. The boss got mad when i tried to sell Jim Walker Firebabys rather than TD plastic bricks. He couldn't seem to understand that having something actualy fly was much more likely to produce a repeat customer.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:21 PM
jessiej

RE: Sig (in reply to Varad) Contact Moderator | (Post No. 26)

Okay i remember the tether cars. On some website, i saw a video of them doing 200mph. And it was 200mph, ( It wasnt slow).
Does anyone know how much these tether cars cost? Im guessing they run on 1000000% Nitro fuel and the engine is shot after one run though.
I am not sure what the curent cars cost but on Ebay I have seen some of the older cars with Doolings and McCoys sell for over $3,000[X(]
Old 10-22-2003, 06:33 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe I read that in addition to the tether car tracks there are two of the rail car tracks; one on Anderson, Indiana, and the other in Los Angeles.
The old rail cars are the equivalent of modern slot cars except they used gas engines in the .60 size range.
I think at one time they ran less expensive cars in the 1/2A range also. They usually were direct drive on a rear wheel.
Sounds like it would be fun if you are located near one of the tracks.

George
Old 10-22-2003, 02:09 PM
Fix-it
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Varad,

What happened to your Cox Stuka? I have one hanging in my office and I need the front portion of the canopy and the Stab / elevator. I would like to have it complete, my wife even took the time to clean all the dust off the other day.

If you have the remains of yours please drop me an e-mail and maybe we can make a trade, I have been a modeler for 30 yrs and have a lot of stuff.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Varad

Is it the same stuka? Mine is black with a red cockpit. It is in one piece and it needs some work.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:25 PM
Old Sourdough

What I meant (as I am sure most know) is that many of the cox CL models are too heavy to fly well, if at all. Some will never leave the ground, but just go round & round in circles on the ground, just like a tether car.
You're absolutely right, of course, but Cox has produced some reasonably good flying models over the years. The early PT-19's trained a lot of folks, even though they were heavy. The two iterations of the Chipmunk and the Me-109 were excellent flyers for RTF Cox models. Some folks prefer the earlier version with the folded foam wings while others like the later version with the molded foam wings.

If they ever get it out, this one has real promise, according to the designer, Mike Pratt. Mike tends to be a straight shooter, so I have no doubt that this one will perform well.

[link=http://Hyper Viper]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDUT1&P=7[/link]

The original release date was July, at first postponed until September, then a month ago until October, then, as of last week, December. Now, I see that it's been set back until February. I hope they'll hurry. This item is the only control line item I've been able to talk the better of the two local hobby shops into stocking in over five years. He was hoping to have some for Christmas sales. ....SIGH....

By the way, Mike is the designer of the SIG Magnum and other SIG planes. He has returned to SIG. Maybe with M. Pratt and M. Gretz there together again, we control line flyers will have a stronger lobby within that company. One can always hope.

Paul
Old 10-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Varad

Yeah the viper is the one ive been looking at. It looks pretty cool

The Stukas are too heavy. Like i said i flew one once and wanted to do a loop. I went up for it and it was about to stall out just flying up. So i didnt go all the way around. I guess they make them heavy and durable bc cox doesnt want little kids who have no clue what theyre doing complaining about how they break. And they dont really break.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Fix-it

VARAD,

Sorry it took so long to respond - work got in the way.
Your experience with the Stuka is typical of the COX warbirds, P-51, P-40 etc. If you try and loop one from level flight they get about 2/3 of the way around and then head into the ground inverted at about a 45 degree angle. Done it / seen it too many times as a kid back in the 70's.
The engines usually ended up on the Sterling 1/2A profile fighters, they used to cost about $4 and you could build one in a day, fly it the next, and watch the fuel residue eat the paint off because it wasn't even dry yet! The good old days when a quart of COX racing fuel and a new starting batterey would keep 1/2 a dozen kids entertained for 8 hrs or more.

My Stuka is made up of the parts of 2 seperate models and still missing a few parets. Drop me a message at [email protected] and we will see if a trade can be arranged. I would love to have mine complete, it looks so cool hanging from the ceiling ready to drop a bomb on my computer when the boss E-mails me with a " quick report needed by this afternoon" message.

Thanks

PS - Hey Sourdough - I have the solid foam wing Chippy that I put a TD .049 on, really brought that one to life! But as the package on every Guillows kit used to say " Balsa files Better"
Old 11-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Old Sourdough

Fix-it wrote:
PS - Hey Sourdough - I have the solid foam wing Chippy that I put a TD .049 on, really brought that one to life! But as the package on every Guillows kit used to say "Balsa files Better!"
Fix-it,

I have had three of that model over the years and found them more than adequate flyers with the stock engines. They would fly every stunt in the book, but not, as your Guillows quote indicates, as well as a good built up balsa plane. For quick and dirty flying fun, though, they're hard to beat at this point.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Varad

Um yeah. I dont think that stuka is the one you have. This one is sorta ugly. Its all red for the interior and black exterior.

Do i have to buy that cox super power fuel or id be ok with my wildcat 10% nitro i use for my RC airplane?
Old 11-16-2003, 07:11 PM
William Robison

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Varad:

The engine will make noise with 10%, but it wont come alive until you get to 20% or more. Just be sure you have castor oil in the fuel.

Bill.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:15 PM
Varad

Yeah so i can use any airplane fuel, not just cox coz they reccommend you use it?
Old 11-20-2003, 07:31 PM
William Robison

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Varad:

Yes - 20 or 25% Omega.

Cool Power is OK too with the addition of at least 2 ounces of castor oil per gallon, preferably 3 ounces.

Bill.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Varad

oh thanks for the help Bill.