Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

after run oil, fact or fiction help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
FatBoyObese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: after run oil, fact or fiction help

ORIGINAL: Argess

Edit: I just reread the above post....I see he meant "cylinder head"......I was picturing him adding WD40 and cranking his engine with a rag over his own head.....LOL.
Ha Ha Ha Ha....I like your line of thinking there
Yes I did mean cylinder head[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to use wd-40 (cheap and its afterall, WD stands for Water displacement) and realy havent been in the habbit in years, let my engines sit for over a year at a time and they start right up and run flawlessly, ive never had one problem due to rust in anyway shape or form. allthough these nitro engines are built slightly different than others, most no one uses any kind of afterrun oil in there engines, its allways advised and i do it to my snowmobile at least,(what can i say, love my sled) but ive also started up many engines that have been sitting for years and ive never had a problem with any engine due to rust in the internals. inside and outside of the RC world, also RC flyers hardly ever use any kind of oil inthe engine. bought many old airplane engines that started right up.
also recently started up a old cox that sat for more than 20 years, little fule and spark, 5 flips, never used any kind of oil after the running (was my dads engine) it also sat in a box on catalina island then again on another island for years, allways around a salty enviorment. not a spec of rust and runs clean as it did years ago.

dont take this afterrun oil stuff to seriously, if you do want to use it i sware by wd-40, dirt cheap and gets it self everywhere in the engine easily when turning over the motor to lubercate. but buying 1oz bottles for more than a can of WD-40 because they specificly advise that, thats a joke. at least IMO
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
MadManAndrew

SideWinder fuels has a label on the jug that specificly says not use ARO. It says the fuel has an additive to stop corrosion and the ARO will just make it worse not better...I dunno, but I never use ARO and all my engine are great...

I've said this before and I'll say it again: ARO was developed for airplane engines, becuase they don't use air filters, so the ARO picks up all the dust and dirt in the engine and carries it out the exhaust...
Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 PM
jbdesigns

the most important thing you can do for your motor before heading home is to run it out of fuel completely while it is still warm.

what this means is that immediately after the last flight/run. go and restart the engine and while it is running, pull off the fuel line to the carb. let the engine die at 1/4 throttle. idea is to burn up all of the remaining fuel left over in the crankcase. the alcohol in the fuel is the real problem, not nitro or the oil. the alcohol absorbs water and that water is what will rust the engine bearings. doing the run while the engine is warm ensures that all fuel is burned up. i will actually attempt to restart the engine after it first dies as it will still fire and run for short bursts. i continue to give i a crank until it will no longer fire. after run oil at this point is not necessary unless you may leave the engine alone for weeks or months. then, i would put in some just to keep a light coating of oil in the bearing.

remember, the alcohol in the fuel absorbs water from the air and the water sitting on your bearings will cause them to rust. i don't believe wd-40 all by itself will expell all of the water that might condense out onto the bearings. those that follow this method will have longer lasting bearings. all other parts in the engine are not real critical and don't rust easily.

John Battershell
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Nightlife85

Ya i use Marvel Mystery Oil also, my dad uses it on his planes when we arent going to be flying them for long periods of times and the stuff works well. Starts up everytime even if its been a year or more. i had a boat engine that was all siezed up and wouldnt turn over i just put it in the stuff overnight and the nexted day it was all loosend up and acually ran after a good cleaning