Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aviation Design Big Mirage 2000

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aviation Design Big Mirage 2000

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Aviation Design Big Mirage 2000

Thanks Pat. I hope I can make it to CJ this time. It clashes with a US event which I may, or may not be attending
Regards Al
Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More Photo of this beauty flying

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

Old 08-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Just to prove this is a scale scheme

Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 AM
Ali

Looking at these photos, I forget to make a special thanks once again to Ralle of Tailormade decals. Without his markings my planes would not look anywhere near as good as they do. Thanks Ralle!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Damo260

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice and that is one awesome looking colour scheme

Damo
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Man Ali you get all the coolest toys! I envey you ... again lol.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Ali, OK you can't bring it to JP.
So please make a nice video of a flight for us at least...
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Come on Ali add your new photos
Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: philip noel

Come on Ali add your new photos
And flight video

David S
Old 01-04-2012, 03:31 AM
Ali

No video yet Dave, but soon I promise !

This is one of those planes that has really taken allot of setting up to get it flying how I want it. Don't get me wrong, it flew great, right off the board. It's just that I had so much anticipation in terms of what I wanted from this project, and the way it flew from new wasn't quite delivering what I hoped for, in that it wasn't as solid in the air as I would have liked ( Mainly on roll control) and the rolls themselves were a long way off of Axial. Now I know that Delta's are normally roll unsettled and that they don't roll like a hawk, but watching the full size Mirages demo I could see that they were far more axial and locked in than what I was getting. I know its probably not fair to compare a toy with a full size jet, but thats normally what I do. I watch allot of full size display videos and try and mimic what I see with the models that I fly.
Firstly I played around with centre of gravity set up. Adding quite allot of weight to the rear of the jet, in the hope that a nose heavy set up was my issue. No matter how much weight I added ( Got up to 1 kg in the end) Things did not improve. In fact all I noticed was more pitch instability creeping in. I also played with control set ups. I found that as with most deltas, the Mirage worked well with lots of elevator, and minimal aileron. However, it still felt unsettled in roll and no matter what I tried, I could get nothing near an axial ( ish) roll.
The real change came when I decided to bite the bullet and fit an aileron gyro. I have always been wary of fitting a gyro to an elevon plane, but a little reassurance from my friend Stig, saw a Gy351 fitted to just the outer surfaces of the elevon ( The Mirages trailing edge is split into 4 surfaces, all working together as elevons) and hey presto... What a world of difference. The Mirage is now allot more steady in the roll control, and flies considerably more stable and has a much more solid sit to it in the air. I then had a play with aileron differential. I started at tiny amounts, but now I have something like 100% upward deflection and 30% downward in roll. Massive difference in the precision of the roll. Sure, its no Futura, in that I can't do a long slow roll, but a single or double fast aileron roll looks far more like the Mirage videos that I have been admiring.
I have taken all the lead out of the tail, and may try adding some to the nose on the next flights ( Just to see what it does). I am so glad that I have stuck with this model. As I mentioned before, a really good mirage is something that I have wanted for ages. Phil Noel built me what I consider to be the perfect one for me, and now its flying in a manner more like what I had hoped for, I am a happy chap.

Some photos from recent events taken by one of our very talented UK photographers Neil Hutchinson.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Ali

One other shot of the model, and one of the full size ( Not in its tiger colours ) for comparison. As always, there are more things to be done ( added ) Lights are the Priority, a few bits of black to be painted underneath, and the smoke winders to try out, but thats something for the next few months. Before anyone mentions it ( Mr Spreadbury) NO! its not getting those huge great ugly drop tanks [:'(][:'(]

Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Mark H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By far the best flying Mirage I have seen by adding the gyro it now looks so real and sits very well in the air. They can some times take more setting up and revisiting to get them perfect but this is now 100% spot on . Congrats,
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Ali

Thankyou Mark.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Mark H

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pleasure, you really looked as if you were enjoying it ,so was I, do you still use outer surfaces as elevons as well or just as ailerons. I think i have seen the Raf actually put the inner surfaces down like flaps for landing, but hey ho these are flown by full gyro fly by wire, and the guy has a feel as he is inside. This Mirage is a plane I would love to own Now.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Ali

One other shot of the model, and one of the full size ( Not in its tiger colours ) for comparison. As always, there are more things to be done ( added ) Lights are the Priority, a few bits of black to be painted underneath, and the smoke winders to try out, but thats something for the next few months. Before anyone mentions it ( Mr Spreadbury) NO! its not getting those huge great ugly drop tanks [:'(][:'(]
C'mon Al, I know you like things hanging off your models, and there are none more sexy than the big overloads they stick on the Mirage!!!

Good talking with you at CJ abt this model and it's set-up...I have split the elevons on my Fei-Bao Mirage (primarily for redundancy) and intended to use them as elevons, rather than separate ailerons and elevators. I decided quite some time back to use a gyro on the ailerons as deltas always seem to be a bit twitchy around the longitudinal axis (well, that's my excuse!). I fly Weatronic, and bought a micro-RX with 3-axis gyro built in...one assumes that the gyro functionality can be effected with ailerons and elevators mixed as elevons...Rx fit is imminent so we'll see!

I never tire of watching Mirage demos...I maintain that the best single jet demo I've ever seen was by a French 2-seater at RIAT...and it wasn't a one-off, I watched Mirages display over several years. There's something almost surreal about the way the driver yanked it into a high G turn with max power on, the burner spitting uneven flames out the back, then roling wings level and unloading the G...and it's like it was on a piece of elastic, the acceleration was so noticeable as it shot away! Magic stuff.

I'm pleased Phil won the battle of the refuelling probe...he just needs to work on you re the tanks now

I look fwd to seeing this model do its stuff again soon!

Cheers,

Dick

BTW...if Neil's watching this...hope there's not copyright on that shot of the Mirage climbing away clean, coz it's my desktop background now!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want to fly it with some ordnance on, you'll need 300N of thrust...
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM
tassos p

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

I am trying to source a lighting set to finish it off, but have a feeling that may be a job for after Jet Power. As it is Phil has fitted the A.D supplied after burner light.
Very nice Ali,

Here is our AD Mirage 2000 from Greece. What's wrong with the stock AB??

It'd be nice if you could report your findings with all this CG changes that you're planning.

Tassos

More pics [link=http://www.dounisairfield.gr/Image_Gallery.php?view=thumbnailList&category=7]here[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bz77800.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	1709679   Click image for larger version

Name:	pn37233.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	1709680   Click image for larger version

Name:	ig11375.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	657.0 KB
ID:	1709681   Click image for larger version

Name:	yv65957.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	1709682  
Old 01-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Neil Collins

WOW

What a fantastic model Ali, looking forward to some video.

Don't you have enough pull at either Tomahawk or Comparf to ask them to build a Mirage (Eurosport size) nice and light to fly well on a 140 and to be super fun on a 180, I would be the first to order one, the Mirage is my all time favorite scale model.

My compliments to the photographers, it would be great if they posted what camera, lens, setting etc.

One of my favorite full size Mirage videos

http://youtu.be/4nc2d-tCvyM

Regards Neil

Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Hi Neil,

This is my latest Mirage in progress, i think this is slightly too small for you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28936.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1715260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24438.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1715261  
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

About time we had a video of this beauty flying
Old 07-24-2012, 03:49 AM
Ali

Funny you should say that!!!

This Mirage has been a real work in progress for me. It's just one of those jets that has had me captivated, and from the day I test flew it, I knew I loved it.. but I also knew that it needed... " Something else"

One of the best things about working with Phil at Pinnacle is that he genuinely does care about every project he builds. It has felt more like a team that a builder/ customer set up, and he has been as keen as I have to develop and refine the Mirage. The latest additions have been a full light system ( Two strobes, landing lights and nav lights) Plus activation of the smoke system in the wings.

I am not sure if its physical, or just psychological. However. Since the latest round of upgrades at Pinnacle Aviation, the Mirage is flying better than ever. Here is a video of it flying with the smoke winders operational for the first time, and the lights working well. Thanks Paul Mcbride for taking the time to shoot and edit the video. Not only am I lucky to have the best job in the world ( well for me anyway) I also get to befriend some really talented individuals along the way!

Regards Al

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uCvO...eature=g-all-u

Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Ali

A big thanks to Neil Hutchinson for the following set of photos. Neilly splashed out on yet another stupendous Lens for his Canon, and we were lucky enough to have his company on the BMFA Nationals show line this weekend.
I finally pulled my finger out and got the twin smoke system that Phil Noel ( The Mirage builder) installed for me. Operational. I can now switch between two colours of smoke canisters from the wing tips in flight. I think it's fair to say that the Mirage is finally at a point where I am totally happy with it as a display model.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 AM
CJ2002

Al,

I had to miss the Nats this year...pisser as I'd really looked fwd to it...but just to rub salt into my wounds, Big G called last night to say I'd missed probably the best model demo he'd ever seen...your Mirage! Now, I know he isn't joking coz he rarely gives credit and, what's more, he ain't a Mirage fan, so it must have been bloody good!

I know when we spoke last year you felt something was missing with the model's handling characteristics - good to know you've got it where you want it...it truly is a magnificent model that you need to bring to the next CJ!

Cheers,

Dick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.