Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need Some Advice From the Experts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Need Some Advice From the Experts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Need Some Advice From the Experts

Make it simple on you. Go to the RCU classifieds and have your pick of good pattern planes, most of them very nicely equipped for a very reasonable price. Really any would do.

I flew pattern and IMAC style aerobatics for 15 years before ever flying a jet, and the transition was super natural, almost uneventful. I highly recommend that you practice precision aerobatics, it will make you a better pilot...period.

Good luck.,
David
Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Dave..I have been scouring the classifieds for one...
Old 08-31-2012, 03:31 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pattern forums on RCU are quite active and useful. Like most things, you can make of pattern what you wantit to be. At the low end, you can have a capablemodel that you could fly either to hone your skills or begin competing with forless than$1000 for airframe, motor and speed controller, or you could be at the high end with a "full size" 2 meter model for around $1500 on up.Receiver, servos, batteries arenot included inthosefigures.Check the F3A Unlimited website at http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore/, one of the most complete 1 stop Pattern model and accesories websites that there is and you will see plenty of options for a modern day pattern ship. Pattern models are mostly electric powered these days, but it is still possible to field a glow or gas powered model.

An example of a "low end" priced, yet very capable pattern ARF is the BJ Craft Monolog 70 ARF with with Hacker A50-12S motor and Castle Creations ICE 100 controller. F3A Unlimited currently has a special for $467.95 for the combo deal. That is hard to beat. More info about Pattern flying is available at www.NSRCA.us, the official website of the AMA SIG for RC Aerobatics, AKA "Pattern".
Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pattern suggestion is a good one. I have an Osirius and a Miss Winds 50. Both are easy to fly and very predictable. The Osirius is lighter the the MW and as a result doesn't feel as precise on a breezy day. I think something with a bit higher wing loading and speed would be a better step to a jet.
One good thing about pattern flying, as Jack D suggested early in this thread, is the discipline to fly the circuit, not to just go and punch holes in the sky. If you work on planning a bit of a routine or stick to a set circuit it will help you be ahead of the model, and not just flying around with it. The latter likely won't bite you with a pattern plane, but it can quickly cause a problem with a faster, heavier jet.
Ali put together a couple very informative DVDs (available from Traplet) that I have found to be full of tips and experience that really focuses on the mental side of preparation and flying. It's a great resource.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 AM
PHIL NUZA
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO learning to fly a helicopter your skill level will increase big time….
Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a foamie are you kidding thats like flying a damn paper plane if the wind blows any it is all over the sky chezzzzz wish they had never never put out the cheap foamies !!!!!!!!! Now these are real airplanes balsa wood and ply with gas engines !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97749.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1796926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90207.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1796927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90595.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1796928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90819.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1796929  
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

I flew Heli's in my 20's and started to get into 3D, jets were always my thing so when the job got better I focused more on that..By the way Phill your F-100 is beautifull..

Thanks NJRCFLYER2..Im going to check that site out now...
Old 08-31-2012, 06:14 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: JackD

One more thing: fly with a buddy with a good eye, have him look at your flights and give you a good critical assessment. it is hard to find, most people just tell you ''wow... awesome...''. You need someone to push you, tell you what you did right and what you did wrong. It really helps

+1

Mentoring and constructive critisism is very usefull if you want to improve. Nothing beats stick time too and if a Habu or a small pattern ship fits the bill then get it and go out and fly. [8D]

PaulD
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
edp
My Feedback: (5)

Hi,
I have been flying pattern for 15 years now and am ready to fly turbines. I hope to start next summer. I did fly two Tom Cook Starfires years ago and didn't have a problem transitioning. The difference was only the speed from the 130's to the 180's. I flew a Saturday w/ Jim Hiller at our field in Alliance Oh on tips of in-flight mixture control. I think going from Ballistic Pattern to turbines or DFs is a smooth transition. Both need flat landing approaches. I've been to some meets were we count the bounces. The good pilots seem to have a patten background and it shows in their turnarounds and passes. But practice in the air is the best.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94578.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1796984