Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

No one seems to be buying big planes....

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

No one seems to be buying big planes....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 11:50 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No one seems to be buying big planes....

Raineman :

Yup! Chief has got their act together. Any company that has the capitol to lay out on huge amounts of product and researches that product enough to know it will sell is way ahead of the game. They must have some sharp folks working for them that know R/C. Heck, the guy that sold me my plane said he was flying the exact same setup! That company will go far and make a good profit in a tough business.

:disappoin Got to tell you, WNY area is poor! Tons of laid off workers, no jobs (unless you take the $8 to $9/per hr ones). The only prosperous area I see in WNY is doctors & lawyers. And even they are too many now and inching each other out. Twenty years ago when WNY was prosperous was when the steel plants where still here (I know of what I speak, 15 years as a steel worker and I thought I had it made and would be there the rest of my life until retirement, but they closed the doors in our faces). When the steel plants went, so did a lot of other 'off-shoot' plants that supported the steel industry (like grinding wheels, etc.) It was a shame. I struggled for 15 years after that to make a decent living, until five years ago when I broke my back & neck and lived to tell about it.

I know a lot of this has nothing to do with the hobby, but actually in a round about way it does. Selling any kind of R/C product is a tough proposition. If you don't have a special one of a kind product that no one else has, selling the usual .40 to.60 size stuff is asking for bankruptcy. The profit margin is poor, that's why places like Chief, Horizon, Tower, etc can make it as they have the capitol to buy in large quantities. The LHS has to not only deal with the customer (saying things like, I can get it cheaper by mail order) they have to try and sell a lot of it at a fair price to stay in business.
Anyhow when it all comes down to it, there are a lot of new comers to R/C, but what I see is that they don't stay. They either can't find someone to teach them to learn, they learn to fly but find out how expensive it is to own 3 to 5 models, pay club dues, insurance dues, time & travel back and forth to a flying field, etc; they do all this for awhile, buy stuff, and because of this they lose interest and drop out. A reason the market is flooded with a lot of used stuff. (Did I mention the dreaded Park Flier yet?) I could write fifty postings on that subject and still have more. Now the market gets flooded with this stuff, or gets thrown out because it was cheap to begin with (we truly are becoming a nation of throw away products). But (bottom line) it keeps the manufactures busy and in business which is good for us, the ones that really love this hobby.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:12 PM
D_Dawg

Default Well Spoken.

I know I have some Gold Mine Kits buried in my garage ... But I would rather die with them than sell the for half the price of the balsa wood contained in the box! and for the ones I have started to build ... I gotta get a dollar per hour for building time ...

and since that never happens ... I rarely sell anything ... I sold a new g-45 for $300.00 ... I wanted to cry ... but it was atleast close to what I paid for it ...

In that same token ... I bought a new Enya 1.55 4-stroke for $360 ... instead of 550 ... the going price ... so I guess what comes around goes around.

I just wanna se the hobby survive ... And it doesn't look bright for power planes ... gliders and electrics may survive ... and most who fly them do not belong to AMA.

so if power goes ... AMA goes ... and the Hobby will be in big trouble ...

Now I am getting really off topic ... Late nite rambling!
Old 09-15-2002, 12:45 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Default Citabria Pro

D_Dawg

Sure like th looks of that Citabria Pro. Tell me some details... who makes it... kit/arf... how does it build/fly... etc. ?

Bill
Old 09-15-2002, 02:00 AM
raineman
My Feedback: (5)

Default rcpilotjae

The economy always keeps us guessing....

You hit some good points about some people not sticking with it. I can't imagine power RC planes going away. Too many guys like us.

One HUGE thing that keeps people away has to do with the way some clubs treat newbies.

I had a personal experience with a local club that was a complete disgrace to the hobby. I showed up with an AMA card and a plane at a local field. Even though the field was busy with flyers, I was met with a locked gate. There were no signs that mentioned the club anywhere. I decided to wait in my car for someone to either arrive or leave. After a short time, a guy was leaving the field. I approached him and said that I lived near by and would like to come in to fly and find out how to join the club. I told him that I had my AMA card with me. I also told him that I was an experienced pilot. This guy looked me up and down and said, "Your not allowed to come on our clubs property until you attend a club meeting so that the current members can "see who you are and what your all about"". I didn't know how to respond.

I went home and looked up the field on the internet. I found their website. I sent an e-mail to all 3 top officers explaining my experieince at their club (gate!). Two out of the three officers sent me e-mails that more or less said, to hell with you!

The president of the club responded sympthetically. I forwarded the email from the other two officers to the president. Never heard anything until I wrote them all back and told them that they were a disgrace to the hobby for their treatment of a wannanbe member. I told them that I would also send a letter to the AMA to explain my experience. One of the jerks actually wrote me back and threatened to sue me for liable!! I begged him to try! Obvioulsy never heard a word.

Even the local hobby shops said that they always hear people griping about having a hard time joining this club.

Over the next several months, at other clubs, I ran into at least a dozen other flyers that had run into the same bs attitude at that field. Some of them actually joined only to be "run off" by the existing membership. They said that they were treated as poorly or worse than me.

THAT IS SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

There are more Rc pilots and clubs with helpful, positive attitudes than there are of those idiots. Thank God for that!! I now fly at another club that has about a half a dozen "refugees" from that other so called club. This other club would expel or severly beat, or both, any member that treated ANYONE that way. I have seen the exact oppisite attitude at this other club. Obviously kidding about beating anyone. =-)
Old 09-15-2002, 02:08 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Raineman:

You hit the nail on the head with that posting! I couldn't have said it better myself. I've heard these types of stories and doubted them, until it happened to me also. (I won't go into details, too long.) I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it myself. I have also seen folks come clear across country to learn to fly right here at my (our) own fields because they couldn't get anyone to teach them where they lived. They told stories of instructors that couldn't be bothered to teach them, even for money, in their own backyard. That's just not right that someone should have to travel across states just to learn to fly because their own club can't be bothered with them. How insane is that? No wonder a lot of new-bee's don't last long or try to self teach. This is absolutely a shame. This is a great hobby that I take a lot of pride in because of the wonderful way it brings folks together and we all share something that's good in this world instead of bad (for a change). The camaraderie in this hobby to me is 50% of what it's all about. If some clubs have to hold their noses in the air to others, it should be cut off by the AMA and others that are in the know.
I get a few calls every summer asking if I can teach someone to fly (my names on a instructor list somewhere on the net) and I always say yes and turn no one away. Then to my surprise the person says to me, "You don't charge money?" (Happens every time too.) I say no, I'm in the hobby for the love and fun of it, not to make money or get rich quick. They don't understand at first, but after awhile it sinks in that this is indeed a hobby and everyone should share their experience freely and not for profit.
I guess 'nuff said'....But I wanted you (and others) to know that you said it all in that posting. I certainly hope that these types of clubs and the folks that populate them can be weeded out of this great hobby. They are not needed.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:45 PM
D_Dawg

Default I concur ...

This is one reason that I have been in and out of power flying and belonging to clubs.

I have be flying R/C since 1980 ... and I have seen my share of winners and losers ... I was one of those "Naturals" when it came to flying ... I didn't have to go through the trainer bs ...

I learned to fly on a glider (foamie) ... snapped my wings in half first flight attemping my first loop! I was hooked from that point on.

My first club experince was rather decent. Up till the end.

I was offered to try my hand at power planes from a friend I flew gliders with on the slope ... (I was a hot shot and local test pilot for newbies with the repatation that if anyone could save a plane .... well no need to bragg ... )

So I went to the power flying field with a old Trainer 60 ... (Still have the k&b 61 and majority of the 60! nose wheel failure ... missed the nose wheel and landed on the nose! )

I was lucky enough to know and to fly with Ken Willard. He was one of the great contributors to the hobby ... may he still fly in heaven. Anyway, he made my entrance into this club a breeze and a joy ... as he saw I was a newcomer to the field and asked me how long I had been flying ... I told him "today" and I thought he was going to have a stroke ... Well I had to explain to him I had been flying gliders for a year ...

The club required the typical AMA membership and a Instructor sign off for 5 solo landings ... I had Ken's signature that day.

That was my introduction to power flght and RC Club life ...

Needless to say this club turn south ... towards the end of its life ... the clup was about to lose its field and in effort to keed it ... NOISE Issues with a residentual area that was built up only months before. The CLUB decided to allow 4-Cycles only ... thus killing the flying of alot of members and the best club I was ever a member of.

Unfortunatley, this was to be the exception rather than the rule ...
I started flying when people were alot different then. Nowdays, if you find a friendly club ... join it ... it will change ... they all do.

The current club I joind was because of one of it's members I got to know and respect (another Ken ... Ken Safer) reminded me alot of the first man I Idolized in the hobby. Wouldn't you know it ... the Club lost its field ... and in the hunt of finding a new one ... I dont see much of my mentor anymore ... I still am a active member as I only have 2 choices to fly at locally ... bothe about 25 miles away in either direction and both have its undesireables ... I fly my current club mainly because my dad belongs ... the othe club has nicer facilities ... less chance of loosing its field ... but Higher dues, lots more members and too many runway hogs ... my new pet peive ... the 3d Flyer ... right up the with the guy on the cell phone ...

Granted, not all of them are disrespectfull ... but the one's who are ... ruin it for all ... And I love to watch a 33% CAP tail tapping the ground ... just not one flyer after another ... and because they fly the big expensive planes ... A] they cop an attitude that they own the field. B] you better not be in the air when they are flying ... C] God forbid if you have a dead-stick and you are forced to land while they hog the runway ...

But I will say it again not all are bad ... I just see the 3d'er starting to end up in the same light of the Pattern Flyers ... Sad way for the sport to end up ... I may start flying gliders again real soon ... as I can drive down the coast and fly any cliff suitable ... no clubs to deal with.

I guess I am to become one of those grumpy old men .... YIKES!

On a Different note ... someone asked how my "Pro" flys ...

1 word "GREAT" I have a enya 1.55 in it now for power ... here's a link to a quasi-review on rc-online

http://www.rconline.com/showthread.p...light=Citabria

well ... time for honeydo's ... take care guys ...
Old 09-15-2002, 04:57 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

D_Dawg:

Just a quick observation. We too have been bit by a number of folks that think it's cool to hover their 'fun flys' 3 or 4 at a time, in your face, hog the runway, whole area, type. This is what we did. Since we are blessed with a huge field, we made it mandatory for the fun flys to go and use a smaller field within our field that the helicopters use. Since there's rarely ever a heli there, it's perfect for them to hover in their own faces all day long and they don't hog up the big flight line and area. Now this works as we don't have a lot of large scale here. There's one other than myself that show up with a giant scale and the guys let us take turns during the day having the whole field to our selfs for our flight. Getting in 3 or 4 good 15min or more flights in a session isn't bad and everyone gets their turn to fly. Luckily the guys love to watch the big planes, but we thought it fair to make the rule for everyone. That way one after another take off, enjoy their flight and have the whole field to them selfs to go wild in for 15 mins at a time. The smaller planes usually go 2 at a time and there's no problems or anyone complaining (except the fun fly guys, who now have to go to the mini field and fly. Why do they complain? Because they have to walk an extra 1/4 mile to get there. )
Old 09-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Joe B.
My Feedback: (1)

We American's like NEW stuff. Not exactly sure why though I do have my theories, but it is evident not only in this hobby but in everything else that we like new stuff. New cars, new homes, new anything. My $25k 2000 Z28 (fully loaded) has a trade-in of under $10k according to Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com). Sure retail is higher but you'll never get that on a trade and you'll never get that advertising either. Same for homes, boats (for those with more money than me!), and yes R/C. I like new, not used.

With that said, my finances the way they are and my desire to fly things I can't afford leaves me no choice but to buy used for my next project. A 1/4 Cap which I've already paid for (should recieve this coming week). I can't afford the $1500 it would cost to build the plane so I bought a used one at maybe 60% of cost but it did have a couple flights but no crashes or hangar rash. His loss, my gain. HOWEVER, it works both ways as I don't want to talk about the Tx I sold on eBay for $20 (yes, TWENTY). I did a no reserve auction and that's what happened. The 9.6v battery is worth more than that but hey, it's not a 8-channel monster and that's what everyone wants. We also wont talk about the $1k I had into an RC car (years ago) that I let go for $250. This doesn't include the spare parts I threw in since I no longer have any cars. But we like new and if you wanna sell you have to keep in mind for another 10% I (or you or anyone) can have new and that's a SMALL price to pay for breaking the plastic seal and wiffing some of that foreign "Made in China" air

All in all, if you put aside some products which just sell hotter than others for whatever reason, people like new and if the price is within 10%-20% of new will just fork over the extra dough for the new stuff. Generally, a man buying a $200 plane can aford a $240 plane no problem (that's my budget) and I'm GUESSING that you guys buying $6k planes could just as easily spend $7k if it meant having new stuff. When I went looking at cars, I didn't want to consider a $22k 6-month old car whent he new one was $25k. To me that was just silly to not get the new car with the full warranty, etc. Plus, I like the smell of new leather

- Joe
Old 09-15-2002, 11:49 PM
barracudaman

AFTER BEING IN R/C FOR 32 YRS, I CAN SAY THAT ALL THINGS COME IN CYCLES AND YOU ARE SEEING JUST THAT- I USED TO BUILD KITS FOR GUYS WHO COULDN'T BUILD . SAME THING IS TRUE TODAY AS WAS 32 YRS AGO AS FAR AS PRICES FOR BUILT VS NEW KITS AND PRICES FOR LARGE PLANES WILL DO THE SAME AS THE SMALLER VERSIONS.(DROP) DEMAND AND SUPPLY WILL ALWAYS DICTATE PRICE-IN 1972- I PAID 325.00 FOR A 5 CHANNEL FULL PROPORTIONAL RADIO WITH 4 SERVOS-LOOK AT WHAT RADIOS COST NOW-A SUPER TIGRE .60 COST 65.00 THEN--LOOK AT ENGINES NOW!
Old 09-16-2002, 12:51 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Joe B. sure did hit another nerve (and excellent point)! We do like to buy new! In my case I was brought up that way. I remember my father always telling me, "Son, your better off buying new, because when you buy used your only buying someone else's problems." Now most of his statement pertained to cars and anything electrical or mechanical. And you have to admit in this day and age buying a new receiver, transmitter or servos makes a lot of sense as there are a lot out there that will sell you something that was in a crash or something they know didn't work to well for them. It's hard to buy something electrical for your R/C plane used because of this. But in the case of buying the built up plane used is another story because you can get pictures of it. Now I'm not saying just because the pictures look good there's something not wrong with the rest of it, but at least you get a good idea of what your getting. Also a lot of guys would prefer to buy a pre-built plane and put their own new electronics in it.
Back to buying new....Could not have said it better myself. I guess (like Joe B says) we must like the smell of a new product, or the thrill of ripping the new package open. Hell, I just leased a new SUV and am still enjoying the 'new car' smell!!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Shortman

you guys wont believe this,

i saw a 1/3 h9 cap232 with zenoah gt 80 twin with all digital servos, et/c ready to fly for 1,500!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:55 AM
raineman
My Feedback: (5)

My point exactly.....