Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Motor control

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 AM
Amuro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor control

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Your welcome. From an economic standpoint I want to stay with the HL electronics. I babel fished El Mods site and saw that the sounds are specific to each tank, so is the turret turning rate and motor speeds. Very cool. My tank budget is overdrawn with the holidays and Mato's sale, I'm going to have to wait before I get those electronics. And I want the PZIII and Sturmtiger too!

Swath, I was told by Thomas that the full setup with a different transmitter does NOT have sound and smoke capabilities. He said that they are going to release in February a sound module.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:59 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if you choose to keep the HL transmitter you'd keep the original sound or do they have a HL specific sound module?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:07 AM
Dark.Rider

Hello!
So if you choose to keep the HL transmitter you'd keep the original sound or do they have a HL specific sound module?
It's quite simple. You can use all ThinkTank modules with either the original electronics (the smoke and sound capabilities remains) or remove ALL the HL-stuff and use an proportional RC-set like Graupner, Futaba, Robbe, Compra and so on. The modules remain the same. In first case, you can hear the original HL sound. In the second case, You will have to wait 1-2 months until our sound module is finished.

OK.... let me explain the function of the modules.

-ThinkTank Booster. That is the central unit. It controlls the chain motors and provides power and control signals for other modules. The unique feature is the implemented "physics engine". It makes the tank acts nearly like the 40t original. The acceleration and braking are inert, the curve radius depends on speed. There are three brake degrees: releasing the stick for soft motor brake. Put the stick half way in opposite direction for a full brake or put the stick full in the opposite direction for emergency brake (the furniture will thank you ). The electronics can handle motors up to 5Amps and are overload protected. There are two types of the booster. Booster K for tanks with plastic gearboxes AND plastic chains and booster M for metal gearboxes OR metal chains. There is only slight difference in the software because of the higher friction of the metal parts. You can always make a K type of a M type and vice versa only by exchange of the CPU (it costs about 4 Euro).

-ThinkTank TLS controlls the turret. It is not requied, it's optional. If absent, the turret works with the HL electronics. It provides:
-in scale turret speed: approx. 10sec/90deg for tiger and approx. 4sek/90deg for pershing.
-splitted gun movement. You can move the gun up OR down
-soft air function remains
-you can control up to 2 ligh groups. ex. front and rear light and switch them on and off as you like. The light don't flicker anymore when using MG.
-optional connector for muzzle flash
The extra controll is provided by moving the stick in a diagonal direction: up-right for shooting, down-left and down-right for light 1 and light 2.

-ThinkTank Prop it's a wire set for a common radio control unit in case you don't want the original HL radio. In this case all HL PCBs are not needed anymore. The proportional receiver gets the power supply from the booster. No further battery is needed. The advantages are better controll because of higher resolution (approx. 100 speed steps per direction instead of 10 with HL), and proportional turret rotation speed. The gun movements remains digital (up, off, down). On our website is a plan how to build this wire set, so You don't have to buy it

-ThinkTank Drive. That is another unique feature of our modules. It is a motor speed stabilizator for booster. It's useful when driving with a heavy tank on rough ground. When the tank has difficulties to drive tight curves, then drive is a must have. About 70% of our customers bought it and wan't miss it anymore
These are two sensors that measure the motor torque and send the informations to the booster. The booster compensates the speed according to the input.

-ThinkTank T-34 Wireset and T-34 Prop Wireset. These are wiresets for the WSN T-34. The one for the original electronics, the second for proportional.

-ThinkTank update. From time to time I implement new features. You can update your modules with new CPU for a small fee. Up to now every module we sold works with every version of the firmware and I'll try to preserve it.

For installation you only need a screwdriver, cutter pliers and a knife. No soldering is needed.

Our last work is a sound module "ThinkTank Blaster" that will be released end of january/february. The main features are:
-up to 5 channels simultaneous
-using standard wave-files (22kHz, 8-bit, mono)
-using a standard SD-Card as sorage. So the content can be modified by everyone on any windows personal computer
-simplest installation: plug the EMNet-cable (EMNet is the bus system connecting every ThinkTank Module. Its a ribbon cable), plug the speaker and volume control -> DONE!
-up to four user defined sounds. You can define your own extra sounds like the commandant shouting, playing the simpsons theme at will and so on..
and many many more.....

That's for the first! I hope, this posting could clear some questions!

Sorry for my crappy english

Greetz,
Th.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:44 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thomas

Could the TLS lighting option handle the smoke generator, allowing RC on-off control, or does the motor draw too much current for this?

Let us know when the sound modules are ready. I would suggest some sample wave files on your website so potential customers can hear the system. Will there be an interaction with the fire control to allow better Main cannon sounds to be recorded and played?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Dark.Rider

Hello!

Could the TLS lighting option handle the smoke generator, allowing RC on-off control, or does the motor draw too much current for this?
There is a current limit to approx. 70mA. I don't know exactly how the smoke is working inside. But I'm quite sure, without some modifications on the electronics the smoke cannot be connected directly to TLS. On the other way.... if the real tank would smoke like the Heng Longs do, then it has a serious engine damage! In my eyes the smoke module is a toy.

Let us know when the sound modules are ready. I would suggest some sample wave files on your website so potential customers can hear the system. Will there be an interaction with the fire control to allow better Main cannon sounds to be recorded and played?
We would do but there is so little time The complete first serie of the blaster (approx. 30 pieces) is already reserved we have customers who would buy up to five blasters immediately. The second production should be available in the second half of february. You will be informed.

Could you please explain what you exactly mean with "interaction with the fire control"?

Greetz,
Thomas
Old 12-29-2006, 03:47 PM
YHR

Currently the Heng long tank recoils and has a feeble sounding gun when you press the fire control on the transmitter. If your electronics could some how tie into the Henglong trigger circuit and intercept the signal to play a gun sound on your sound blaster module, this would be a nice feature. Or maybe your system will have its own gun control sound loop?

I agree on the smoke. I have pulled them out and use them on my model railroad. If a real tank smoked like that, the block would be cracked and you would be getting antifreeze in the combustion chamber. Just a waste of battery power as far as I am concerned, but I admit it looked cool for awhile.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Dark.Rider

Hello!

The recoiling is gone when our modules are connected. Our sound module is synchronized with the soft gun trigger, not the HL gun button. We of course will use a real KwK 88 sound

Greetings,
Thomas K.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:09 PM
YHR

OK that is great. Put me down for wanting one when you get the second batch made!!!!!

Dan
Old 01-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Dark.Rider

Hello!

I just uploaded the first batch of translated manuals and an extended english FAQ. Please look [link=http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com/wbb2/thread.php?postid=71311#post71311]HERE[/link].

Please put a note (email to [email protected]) if there is anything incorrect. Some terms are quite special and I was unsure how to translate them.

In the next days I'll activate a temporary english web site with actual manuals, FAQ, news, updates and so on. So check www.el-mod.de!

Best regards,
Th.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 AM
YHR

Thanks Thomas.

I'll be sure to read them as I am installing my modules. I'f anything does not read quite right, I'll let you know.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 AM
HVI

Hi HYR,
a bit of a newbie tanker, while modding my tiger I have fried one of the boards - damm shame as I had got a recoil system to work using the pulse that goes to the tracks to initiate a recoil which in turn opened a micro switch to enable the runout of the barrel - still I digress. Where did you get the web address for the Elmod site as I couldn't find it on their web page - and despite living in Germany I am not too fluent at reading the lingo. Regards HVI
Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 PM
YHR

[email protected]

This will get you to Thomas who can answer all questions about the Think Tank Modules.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Dark.Rider

Hello!

ORIGINAL: HVI
a bit of a newbie tanker, while modding my tiger I have fried one of the boards - damm shame as I had got a recoil system to work using the pulse that goes to the tracks to initiate a recoil which in turn opened a micro switch to enable the runout of the barrel - still I digress. Where did you get the web address for the Elmod site as I couldn't find it on their web page - and despite living in Germany I am not too fluent at reading the lingo. Regards HVI
Our URL is www.el-mod.de
You can get all available english information here: http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...1311#post71311

If you have further questions, just put me an email: [email protected]

Greetz,
Th.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:38 AM
Captainbertie

Hi HVI,

I'm very interested in how you managed to find the outputs on the board to initiate a barrel recoil......can you explain further
or post a pickie of where these outputs are on the board?

Cheers

CaptB
Old 01-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Dark.Rider

Hello!

The recoil support is very new in the TLS firmware. I'm just writing a short documentation about how to connect a t*miy* recoil unit.
It will be attached to the 8-pin connector similar to the air softgun with an extra pull-up resistor.
Please give me some days.

Greetz,
Th
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 AM
HVI

Hi, I just stuck a volt meter across the points leading to the motors then traced back through the circuit to see where pulses occured (which cause the whole tank to rock back and forth) when the K button was pressed. Soldered 2 wires on to the revers pulse then linked through a diode to the recoil motor. If you can tell me a quick and easy way to upload a piccy I'll get on to it.
regards HVI
Old 01-05-2007, 09:03 AM
HVI

Captainbertie, techno dummy at this end has read through some other forums so hopefully here a picture of the recoil mechanism and the wiring. The pictures show the gun run out and recoiled. The recoil pulse from the tracks is just enough to turn the motor behind the righthand cog. This moves the link pulling the barrel back far enough to open a micro switch in the mantle (mounted by the screw visible in the forground). This switch then enables a larger current to the recoil motor making the cogs turn with enough power to overcome the recoil spring and push the barrel forwards again. This in turn closes the micro switch cutting power to the motor and resetting everything for the next shot.

Where I messed up was the diode on the red wire under the barrel was not high enough to prevent a 7 volt spike getting back to the pcb ooops! The red wire goes back to the black wires which in turn are soldered to the recoil puls pins on the PCB.

For my next attempt I am trying to make a circiut that will take the recoil pulse and use this to open an electronic rather than mechanical switch. This should enable me to make the recoil motor work for a set time period independently of the main PCB and reduce the risk of frying andother board.

Only snag is going back to work this week kills off any spare time for playing.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56037.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	591186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94858.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	591187  
Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Captainbertie

Hi HVI,

Very innovative........I am sure that you will get it to work........I was just going to link a retract rod into the airsoft barrel
so that it retracts when you fire the BB.......I know this would be independent of the hull re-coil but I thought that
when firing from the side with a 90 degree turret position, the tank would'nt jump back which looks wrong to me, but you could combine the two motions when firing forwards etc................have you tried this?

CaptB
Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
HVI

CaptB, I've not thought that far ahead but like the idea.

YHR and Dark.Rider thanks for the links - IThomas does English far better than I do German and I have just ordered a TLS and Booster from Elmod.

regards all HVI
Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Dark.Rider

Hello!

I posted a short description how to connect the recoil unit to TLS. The english version will follow in the next 2-3 days.
The advantage of the TLS in this case is, that it generates an impulse for the recoil unit and after a shot you have to wait approx 9 seconds (reloading time) until you can shot again.

http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...?threadid=6854

Old 01-07-2007, 02:54 PM
HVI

Hi,

is that a Tamiya recoil unit in your picture or one your firm produces? If it is a Tamiya do you know where they can be bought?
regards Harvey
Old 01-08-2007, 02:57 AM
Dark.Rider

Hello!

is that a Tamiya recoil unit in your picture or one your firm produces? If it is a Tamiya do you know where they can be bought?
regards Harvey
Yes, it's a Tammy. But sorry, I have no idea where to buy. I got it from a customer for testing purposes. But ask in the RC-Panzerkettenforum:
http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com/wbb2/

Greetz,
Th.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Dark.Rider

Hello!

I just uploaded the last missing manuals (T-34 wireset and T-34 prop wireset) and corrected the others. You can obtain them here:

http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...p?postid=72145

Cheers,
Th.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Dark.Rider

The information how to connect a recoil unit to TLS in english is added:

http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com...p?postid=72145

Th.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
YHR

My modules arrived today and I installed the Booster module with momentum. Pretty simple install with no soldering required. Cut wires and reconnect as per instructions using the supplied screw terminal strips. The momentum is a nice feature, but it does take some getting used to.

I will install the TLS tomorrow, and see how that goes. I just printed out the english instructions and this seems like a real interesting upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.