Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

The guys at my local hobby shop suck.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

The guys at my local hobby shop suck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 12:47 AM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The guys at my local hobby shop suck

I've been playing around with the R/C hobby since I was a 9 year old boy and have always found that the guys in the Local hobby shops are a bunch of popus asses, a bunch of know it alls, that know nothing!!!!!! Screw them I taught myself how to fly! The guys in this forum are a better source of knowlege, people in this forum learned from years of expeirence! and I find the internet a better source for shopping and purchasing R/C products.[>:]
Old 12-29-2003, 11:18 AM
gpaherman

Default RE: The guys at my local hobby shop suck.

I couldn't agree more with Mike and Vince. It really burns my a-- to go to the local Hobby Shop south of Medina OH and have to deal with clerks with a personality IQ of 9 or less. We have one north of us near Cleveland that may not stock everything but are more than willing to order anything. I have spent thousands of dollars there and will continue to buy there. I love the internet,Tower Hobbies,Atlanta Hobby ,Hobby Lobbyand many others. I think the staff in the shop we hate,hate their jobs and the customer. How the owner puts up with it is beyond me . I vote with my feet and give my money to retailers that truly want my business. My Grandfather used to ask "Why are there so many horses a--es and so few horses?"Now I know why..They must be needed in some of the retail outlets (not all) of this hobby.
Web
Old 12-30-2003, 10:30 PM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You all do realize that my illustration was just that. A caricature so to speak, something which exaggerates to make a point. I am not defending all of the hobby shops in the world. I see them everywhere with 5 clerks running around and for the life of me and don't know what they do or how the owner pays them. I have been in this game a long-long time. I know how to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I don't know if he is still alive, I certainly hope so but I heard he was in bad health but if you wanted to see the best salesman in the business you should have went in Finley's Hobby in Wichita KS. Jim was knowledgeable, personable and absolutely the best over the counter salesman I have ever met.

I have not been in Don Apostolic's shop also in Kansas but I have know Don for years and I am sure you get nothing but his best when you are in there because I know him and he is that kind of guy. All these people are fine hard working and knowledgeable as are many others.

I think that Mikes hobby shop in Dallas has some of the best people and the best selection you will come across. When I started back in the business in 2001 I tried to model my shop after some of these. My goal was and is to have a shop guys would travel 200 to 400 miles to and feel like it was worth the trip. I have tried to keep over 200 ready to fly palnes hanging from the ceiling but that has dwindled a bit to maybe 100. You come in my shop and you get waited on by me cause it is a 1 man operation. I study and read read and I know what I am doing plus I have 50 + years of experience. I am not arrogant or pompous, I'll get out there and fix whatever is wrong with a customers aircraft whether he bought it from me or not. I know every facet of aeromodelling from soup to nuts. Think you can stump me?? Come by and try.

Now I was just defending the generic Hobby Shop's honor by trying to shed some light on some aspects of the business they some of you may not consider important. I know how you feel and I know some of those you have portrayed but I am just trying to defend those that go the extra mile because of a deep conviction and love and respect for the greatest hobby I have know. Those of you who know me from Ebay know that I end my auction descriptions by say " know who you are buying from, enjoy life and your hobby."

End of my rant. I have had fun and hope I have shed a different light. I have not intended to offend or disparage any body. My intent is to educate.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:30 PM
espadet

1- In Futaba transmiter put Channel 15 (for example) XTAL manufactured by Futaba ONLY and in GWS Receiver put Channel 15 (the same channel) manufactured by GWS ONLY TOO!. NO OTHER!. There are no matching XTALS because both TX and RX are designed by different factories.
If you put the GWS Transmiter XTAL in the Futaba TX, probably don't work because both TX have different electrical circuits. The GWS
XTAL have different electrical characteristics (serial capacitance value) compared with Futaba XTAL.

2- AND the Ebay TLRASCAL Seller suck TOO!

Ask him ONLY the DATE of shipping and tracking number, because item no arrives yet after 28 days and probably lost. I need this basic info. to claim in my local postal office.

25-Mar-04 This is the email received from tlrascal:

This is a letter that I cut and paste into inquiries for foreign shipments. I sell to a lot of foreign customers and welcome your business. I have never had a lost shipment. That does not mean it is without problems.

Most of the problems I have had are because the buyer gets too anxious. I have one gentleman in the UK that cancelled his credit card payment and caused me to incur over $115 expense in overdraft fees and credit card fees and then got the merchandise in less than a week later.

I have no control over the postal service. I will not ship other than Airmail and insured and the postage can be high as well as I have to charge a handling fee as I have to send an employee to the Post Office to fill out the customs forms. I charge a $5 fee for this.

You will still receive your merchandise at a bargain price. I ask that you agree to not cancel payment and that if lost you take care of filing the insurance. If you agree to these terms I am happy to sell to you direct or through Ebay auctions.

Terry Rollins

Modeltronics Hobby Traders

2421 Co-Op Drive

Van Buren, AR 72956

AC 479 410 2863

www.4mht.com

Shipping date??? Tracking number???

Mr Rascal says
" know who you are buying from, enjoy life and your hobby." JUUUAAA JUUAAA JUUAA!!! This man is a JOKE!
"I am not arrogant or pompous" NO! YOU ARE A GIPSY!
Old 03-27-2004, 12:42 AM
crashparry

Wow what a thread...

I think the bottom line for ANY business (yep I work for IBM too) is that you want the customer's money PERIOD.

You want the customer to keep giving you his hard earned money!

There is only one customer but many many suppliers. So as a supplier you must be prepared to accomodate for a customers every whim (however stupid the customer is), else he will give his money to someone else PERIOD.

Granted the economic conditions these days (and the advent of online mail order) have increased competition and caused ever tightening margins etc.. this has stopped the LHS owner from being as generous with his prices and time. However the bottom line still remains and always will. You want the customer to keep giving you his hard earned money and if he's not 100% happy, he WILL give it to someone else (if he has any sense).

We here in the UK admire you guys in the US on this score, you are well renowned for demanding 100% customer service and voting with your feet if you dont get it. This is how it should be. The times I have visited the states I have seen this first hand and would say that customer service is generally tenfold of that in the UK... but hey most of us Brits don't think we deserve any better so we just grumble and hand over our cash (though things are changing).

Without a customer there is no business!
Old 03-27-2004, 03:07 AM
daveacl

Heli wont take of i have a hirodbo shuttle plus i was told by the hobby shop to leave my main blades loose ie so i could move the blades with my hands? also that the tracking should be at approx 5 degrees stupid question is that 5degrees with the thicker part of the blades pointing upwards My blades are spinning so fast that i am hiding behind a wall i am sure the darn things are gonna come off BUT i aint getting no lift Regards dave England i later found out that the guy at the shop set my carb wrong and also my transmitter thottle was reversed due to a bad instruction book i was literraly boring a hole in the ground i was going down
Old 03-27-2004, 08:18 AM
raabid

Ok guys lets step back into reality. How important is this in the grand scheme of things. I dont get stressed over bad service at my LHS. I get stressed out about an $1800.00 mortgage payment that's due the week after my car just died.

Not all hobby stores are made equal. I have five hobby shops I frequent, and they are all different.

1. The crappy store. (25 minutes away) - This guy is in business to mock people and belittle their intelligence. They have a meagerly decent stock.....if your into nitro. Everything's way overpriced, and on the weekends you have to fight through the horde of weird fat older nerds playing RPG's in the corner.

2. The so-so store. (30 minutes away) - This guy has the personality of a wet noodle, he has a small stock selection, but has recently come to realize that electrics are the future, and has radically added a lot of electric stuff. He knows his inventory well, but you have to coax information out of him.

3. The good store. (1 hour away) - A family run store, typical train, plane, and model store. Their service is ok during the week, but they get a little swamped on the weekend. Their prices are competitive with the internet. They are always pleasant, but sometimes unknowledgable.

4. The great store. (15 minutes away) - A part time store ran by a retired modeler. Kept quietly tucked away in his barn behind the house. His inventory although not conviently displayed always, is organized, and even or lower than internet prices. Having flown airplanes for 50 years, he knows more about gassers than anyone I've met. He started buying some electric stuff two years ago, and still only carries about 10 percent of his stock in electrics, but he is the nicest guy in the world. He even has a free swap shop where there are consistently 10-15 planes for sale. It's a good thing he's tucked away because, a dishonest person could rob him blind.

5. The best store. (1 hours twenty minutes away) - Mecca, yes this is the hobby store, all other hobby stores aspire to be. Overstocked, overstaffed, I don't see how they stay in business. Oh wait a minute, yes I can they have the greatest customer service of any store I've been in, the employee's are proficient in all areas, but they all have their own expertises, planes, helis, cars, and they even have one of their guys playing with electrics so he can understand them better. Their prices are a little over internet, but it's worth it for the service and in stock items.

So before you bash the LHS, you must realize, that they are there to make a living, not to be your personal slave. People get too wrapped up in the customer is always right philosophy. They're not always right, but often because they think they are, they're rude. The guy behind the counter may have gotten into the store and hated it, but now can't get rid of it, so he's bitter. But you can't lump all stores together, they're just not the same.

Tom, I've been you your store. Well not physically, but I know the kind you mean. They probably were di**s, but that doesn't mean you have to go there again. Although, I would have been back two days later with my H-bird, hovering in front of their window, as I pulled my hand off the TX to flip them the bird.

Tlrascal, I worked in retail for twelve years, and there are plenty who want something for nothing. But most just want a smile, and someone who honestly wants to try and help them.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:39 PM
espadet

Don't buy to www.4mht.com
ebay seller: tlrascal

plain and simple, DON'T ORDER FROM THESE GUY! BE CAREFUL! This place is obviously run by somebody that doesn't know how to run a business and is trying to make money by cutting corners and being unfair and unreasonable with customers.

Check this web page

http://www.geocities.com/mmigueloc/
Old 04-02-2004, 11:26 AM
darkside212
My Feedback: (73)

I thought this guy was creepy just cause he looks like a freak with that disgusting raccoon on his shoulder!